Sponsored

Steering wheel shake

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Hey everyone. Having some issues. I have a 3.5 inch lift on 37 with 4.88 Yukon gears. I found a place to road force balance my tires. Which made a huge difference in overall smoothness.but did not remove the vibration in my steering wheel. The steering wheel Shaka around 48-50 mph. Then goes away when you go faster. Could it be drives shaft or something else? Please need some help. Now the steering wheel shakes but the Jeep still tracks straight. Also I am one of the ones with funky steering. Not as bad as others but I do have a dead spot.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
when I had the tires balanced we also rotated. So there goes that idea. Good call though. Thank yoh

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
why are you assuming its the tires and not alignment/geometry issues from your lift?

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
What could it be. It was done by prob the best shop around who did my gears. Everything is within spec.
also if we assume it’s the lift. What would causea vibration into the steering wheel at that speed like that

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Sorry forgot to mention. Vehicle tracks straight and only issue is I have one of the junkier steering

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Tell us about the lift and mods you've done to the suspension and steering.....

Aftermarket control arms? All or just some (if only some, which ones)? Brand?
Do you aftermarket track bars? If so, just front, just rear, or both?
Upgraded steering parts (tie rod, drag link)?

The more information you provide about your Jeep and it's modifications, the more accurate help you'll get.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Clayton 3.5 overland. It’s not the lift. Maybe something loosened up but the angles n lengths are correct.We are sure of it. I have been playing with the idea of an upgraded tie rod or drag link. But most people have shared that it won’t impact on road regular driving. Also I only have a few thousand miles so unlikely anything is worn. Maybe something is loose. You’d have a wobble or wondering.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Btw the Clayton lift is awesome. I’m confident this issue has nothing to do with that lift and more something is loose or off. Just don’t know what. The only symptom is a shaky steering wheel from like 45 -50 and goes away after that

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Have you loosened and then retorqued your trackbar(s) front and back with the vehicle on the ground. Sometimes it’s the simple stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I don’t have the alignment. But was done by the best. But how could alignment cause a momentary steering wheel shake. I could understand a pull, wonder, issue tracking. I’m wondering if it’s just road vibration that translates through my dead spot in my steering

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don’t have the alignment. But was done by the best. But how could alignment cause a momentary steering wheel shake. I could understand a pull, wonder, issue tracking. I’m wondering if it’s just road vibration that translates through my dead spot in my steering
It could be a combination of things, especially when basic troubleshooting hasn’t produced a solution. If it was a simple solution, it would of been fixed by now. An alignment report contains other info that can solve a more complex situation and keep one from chasing ghosts. When the right combinations have been dialed in, then the solutions can be found. For example, if your caster is low, which can be seen in an alignment report, it can cause hypersensitive to other components not being exactly in spec. It doesn’t matter how great your alignment tech is, they can’t adjust caster, individual toe, or camber without changing parts. The only standard alignment adjustments on a Wrangler are total toe and steer ahead. The loose steering and steering vibration might have multiple fixes. The alignment report contains information that can be included or excluded from the troubleshooting process and is free with alignment.

Last edited:

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
So I had a similar situation. When they road forced my tires they told me I needed to spin them on the rim. I busted them off and spun them and remounted them (beadlocks) on three of the four tires on the ground. Shake gone. I am not saying this is your issue, but sounds similar to what I was experiencing. Anyone you could borrow rims and tires off of and put them on, test drive?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Aligned to within factory specs, or to what is really needed? That question is for both toe and caster, assuming your kit came with at least adjustable front lower control arms.

Beefing up the steering linkages is a smart play on a factory Rubicon, even smarter on a lifted one. The oem arms and linkages are weak and prone to unwanted flex from lift and large tires. The rubber bushings are also of lower quality. All of my oem rubbers were showing stress cracks after just 10k miles that included nothing off road more than 2hi dirt roads.