Sponsored

Steering Wheel position when driving - minor problem and my OCD

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Easy fix without going to an alignment shop, you just need to adjust the drag link. Take a 15MM wrench and loosen the clamp on the drag link. To move the steering wheel to the right, rotate the adjustment clamp down. Have someone watching the steering wheel until it moves back to center, then tighten the clamp back up.
I did this myself after a lift. One bolt- you can do it by just laying under your front bumper. Super easy.

Here’s a pic of where:

F8A6693D-18A0-4276-A9F4-CA4BDF98C69E.jpeg
Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
I have same issue with the steering wheel cocked over to the left all the time and it was like that from factory. I finally took to the dealer and they did an alignment said it was slightly out of alignment with toe adjustment and they stated they aligned the steering wheel. It is much better now but not perfect. when your on a road with an incline sloping down to your right, there is still a left over compensation with steering wheel which seems odd to me vs. other vehicles I have had.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Don't think I saw this asked but was a lift ever installed on this Jeep

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I did this myself after a lift. One bolt- you can do it by just laying under your front bumper. Super easy.

Here’s a pic of where:

F8A6693D-18A0-4276-A9F4-CA4BDF98C69E.jpeg
Yep, super easy and I'd recommend getting a large set of pliers to turn that collar with. You can do it by hand but it takes a lot of force and it's easier to move in small increments with the control of a set of adjustable pliers.

Go slow because small adjustments make big changes at the steering wheel.

It may take a few attempts and drive tests to get it where you want it.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’d also suggest going to your dealer and showing the service manager that video and asking why his techs hadn’t seen it

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stingrey

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Don't think I saw this asked but was a lift ever installed on this Jeep
Hi.
If you're asking me (the OP), I have no lift or other suspension modifications. I only changed the Sahara wheel/tires for for Rubicon wheels/tires. I suppose it's about a 1/4" higher than before. :)

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Hi.
If you're asking me (the OP), I have no lift or other suspension modifications. I only changed the Sahara wheel/tires for for Rubicon wheels/tires. I suppose it's about a 1/4" higher than before. :)
Yup question targeted at you, no lift means it's bad from the factory and the dealer should take care of it, or like others have post it's an easy day job.

And that dealer is bad if they think it's ok find a new place.

OP
OP
Stingrey

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Yup question targeted at you, no lift means it's bad from the factory and the dealer should take care of it, or like others have post it's an easy day job.

And that dealer is bad if they think it's ok find a new place.
Thanks. I adjusted the drag link (myself) the day after I started this thread. :) Easy peasy thanks to the help from this forum.

I also followed up with my JEEP dealerships service manager and let her know that I fixed it in about 10 minutes.
When I took it to them, I had told them the steering wheel was off center. I showed them a picture. They asked if it's pulling and I explained to them ( I thought quite clearly) that the vehicle is not pulling and that it tracks nice and straight. Then they proceeded to check everything possible - except the drag link adjustment. They checked the alignment, tire pressure etc.
They gave it back to me, stating "everything is in spec and we can't see a problem".
On the service invoice I received, under the section heading 'reason customer brought vehicle for service', it read.. "customer complains the vehicle is pulling to the right.

I just had to laugh!

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I can attest that adjusting the drag link is extremely easy. I have never done anything like that in my life and I just did it. Piece of cake. I put a bright piece of tape on the center of the steering wheel where I could see it from the front of the Jeep, and then adjusted it until it was in the middle. :)

Sponsored

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
First of all, this is not about loose steering. I don't have the loose steering like some. My Jeep steering feels quite good. The vehicle tracks nicely down the road and will gradually veer to the right, as it should depending on the amount of road crossfall the lane has.

This may just be my OCD.
I have included a few pictures to show the position I need to hold the steering wheel in order to drive straight. Is this the same as the yours?
In the pics I am driving in the right hand lane with a typical crossfall.
If I drive in the left lane (opposite road crossfall) I then hold the steering wheel horizontal.

The dealership checked everything this morning. Alignment, tire pressure and test drive. They tell me it's within spec and couldn't find anything wrong.
Again, this is not a big deal. the Jeep doesn't pull. Tracking is ok and tires are balanced.

Live with it or get a second opinion?
Thanks
PM

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering Wheel position when driving - minor problem and my OCD F8A6693D-18A0-4276-A9F4-CA4BDF98C69E

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering Wheel position when driving - minor problem and my OCD F8A6693D-18A0-4276-A9F4-CA4BDF98C69E

My steering wheel is the same way and if I let go of it it goes to the right quickly. I have taken it to two different places for an alignment and they say it is aligned perfect but the steering wheel is off I at least 2 to 3 inches

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
My steering wheel is the same way and if I let go of it it goes to the right quickly. I have taken it to two different places for an alignment and they say it is aligned perfect but the steering wheel is off I at least 2 to 3 inches
Steering position has nothing to do with pulling. Do you have the alignment readout you could attach as a pic? Could be your Toe setting. To get you steering position straight is an easy fix by adjusting the drag link.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
First of all, this is not about loose steering. I don't have the loose steering like some. My Jeep steering feels quite good. The vehicle tracks nicely down the road and will gradually veer to the right, as it should depending on the amount of road crossfall the lane has.

This may just be my OCD.
I have included a few pictures to show the position I need to hold the steering wheel in order to drive straight. Is this the same as the yours?
In the pics I am driving in the right hand lane with a typical crossfall.
If I drive in the left lane (opposite road crossfall) I then hold the steering wheel horizontal.

The dealership checked everything this morning. Alignment, tire pressure and test drive. They tell me it's within spec and couldn't find anything wrong.
Again, this is not a big deal. the Jeep doesn't pull. Tracking is ok and tires are balanced.

Live with it or get a second opinion?
Thanks
PM

mines a bit off too.. but to the right hand side

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It usually takes a few adjustments to get it centered (unless you get lucky the first time). You adjust, drive and check, adjust again, drive and check... etc. It took me 3 adjustments to get it perfectly centered.

I bet dealerships don't want to bother with this, so they adjust it once and say it's done.