Sponsored

Steering wheel not centered after 1.5” teraflex lift.

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
i got a 1.5” teraflex sst lift installed and I noticed that the steering wheel is not perfectly centered especially on the freeway. No bouncing or vibration, just the wheel off center. Is that an alignment problem or what could be the cause?
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Adjust the drag link if you’re comfortable. It needs to be spun up. 15mm nut. If you don’t feel comfortable, take it to just about any shop. Would take me all of 2 mins if you were local. Super easy

Brett

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Ya Rusty is correct. I dont know why I assumed track bar, obviously not thinking straight. Trackbars are for centering axle, not sterring wheels. My bad on the mis information. I had a JK and had to adjust this. I dont know what I was thinking :headbang:
However, I didnt know thatd be an issue either for a spacer lift. Im still contemplating a coil lift or spacer lift..

OP
OP
Gron86

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yes definitely. It was perfectly straight prior to the lift. Well maybe not perfect, but now the steering wheel sits slightly to the left in order for the Jeep to drive straight.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Adjust the drag link out as rusty said.

As you lift a Jeep the steering box mounted on the frame driver side is now farther away from the passenger steering knuckle on the axle. The tires self center when driving but the steering box gets pushed to compensate hence why it is cocked. You are safe to drive but work an adjustment as the computer looks at steering wheel position for the traction control system.

OP
OP
Gron86

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Dealership says that Jeep is aligned perfectly straight. But in order to fix the crooked steering wheel, I need a new track bar. Does that seem right ?

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership says that Jeep is aligned perfectly straight. But in order to fix the crooked steering wheel, I need a new track bar. Does that seem right ?
It's so easy to do yourself:

Go to the 32:40 minute mark . Ish . Track bar will do nothing .

OP
OP
Gron86

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It's so easy to do yourself:

Go to the 32:40 minute mark . Ish . Track bar will do nothing .
So does that mean the drag link is the problem? I thought it was a bit odd that they wanted me to install a new track bar. ( then again it is the dealership)
Might take it to a local mom and pop shop to get the drag link adjusted.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
So does that mean the drag link is the problem? I thought it was a bit odd that they wanted me to install a new track bar. ( then again it is the dealership)
Might take it to a local mom and pop shop to get the drag link adjusted.
Just adjust the drag link

Trackbar will recenter axle left and right relative to the body as lift the Jeep up the front will move more driver side and the rear more passage side, not by much that you should worry about it but it does move. This can be corrected with adjustable aftermarket trackbars or relocation brackets. But even doing that will require adjusting the drag link because you are still changing the steering box to passenger knuckle distance from stock.

OP
OP
Gron86

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ok that does look pretty simple. Thanks for the help.
Should the engine be running when this is done?
Also the wheel seems to be straight when still, it’s when I get on the highway that it feels like it have to keep the wheel slightly to the left in order to go straight.

OP
OP
Gron86

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
When is it necessary to install a new track bar? After how much lift?

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Ok that does look pretty simple. Thanks for the help.
Should the engine be running when this is done?
Also the wheel seems to be straight when still, it’s when I get on the highway that it feels like it have to keep the wheel slightly to the left in order to go straight.
No, the engine doesnt need to be running when adjusting the drag link. However, its helpful to have someone watch the steering wheel as u turn/adjust the drag link so they can tell when to stop turning it when the steering wheel is straightened. What u should is get the Jeep to drive in a straight line for however many feet you need, dont need to go fast at all. If the alignment is fine, it should track straight and let the sterring wheel turn where it wants. Once its running straight, then park it and adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is straight. Thats what I did
on my previous JK. May e this is covered in that video but I didnt watch it..

When is it necessary to install a new track bar? After how much lift?
You shouldnt need a new track bar with a 1.5” spacer lift. An adjustable track bar tho just centers the axle. It turns/adjusts like the drag link does. I did this also on my JK when I put a 2.5” coil lift on it. You can visibly see how off center it was by looking at the edge of tire and edge of fender flare for example. Thts what I used anyway. But again, you shouldn’t even need one..

OP
OP
Gron86

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No, the engine doesnt need to be running when adjusting the drag link. However, its helpful to have someone watch the steering wheel as u turn/adjust the drag link so they can tell when to stop turning it when the steering wheel is straightened. What u should is get the Jeep to drive in a straight line for however many feet you need, dont need to go fast at all. If the alignment is fine, it should track straight and let the sterring wheel turn where it wants. Once its running straight, then park it and adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is straight. Thats what I did
on my previous JK. May e this is covered in that video but I didnt watch it..

You shouldnt need a new track bar with a 1.5” spacer lift. An adjustable track bar tho just centers the axle. It turns/adjusts like the drag link does. I did this also on my JK when I put a 2.5” coil lift on it. You can visibly see how off center it was by looking at the edge of tire and edge of fender flare for example. Thts what I used anyway. But again, you shouldn’t even need one..
I appreciate all the feedback. One more question, is it clockwise right, counter left? The direction the wheel turns in conjunction with the nut.
Sponsored