BikiniBritt

First Name
Britt/Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday and this morning I have found that when first starting the Jeep and reversing (engine on) the steering wheel will not turn. You have to shut the Jeep off and back on again for it to start working. Anyone else have this issue? 2020 Wrangler Sport S
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Call tow truck and take it straight to dealer before this happens while driving, and someone gets killed. Let the dealer know right away next step is a lawyer. Not class action, person to person. They sold the product and are just as complicit as the manufacture. Enough of this pussy footing around. Can you imagine if all the jeepers on this forum got together and Sued? This has. Been going on to long now.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday and this morning I have found that when first starting the Jeep and reversing (engine on) the steering wheel will not turn. You have to shut the Jeep off and back on again for it to start working. Anyone else have this issue? 2020 Wrangler Sport S
@BikiniBritt

Obviously, a safety issue, especially if steering gets like that when you are driving..
Take care, have the dealer Service Dept. address the issue...

Curious, is it doing it every time now, or just did it the two times..

Info that you might note be aware of:

Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146

Also:
for ss long as your JL is still under warranty... when your JL needs to be towed... call Jeep Road Service at Ph. 1-800-992-1997.

Tell them you have a Jeep Wrangler JL, it is under warranty still and that you need to have it flat bedded, per the Owner's Manual, ( JL, MUST be flat bedded ) to the dealership, because.....

They will arrange for a flat bed truck to come get you right away and you never even see the bill.... another words, you don't have to get, to try to get, a reimbursement from FCA afterwards.

Caveat: For the flat bed ride to be free, you must have the JL, transported to the nearest authorized Jeep dealer. IF, you want it going to say a dealer a few miles further, call the Jeep Dedicated hotline and have it approved.

OP
OP
BikiniBritt

BikiniBritt

First Name
Britt/Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
@BikiniBritt

Obviously, a safety issue, especially if steering gets like that when you are driving..
Take care, have the dealer Service Dept. address the issue...

Curious, is it doing it every time now, or just did it the two times..

Info that you might note be aware of:

Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146

Also:
for ss long as your JL is still under warranty... when your JL needs to be towed... call Jeep Road Service at Ph. 1-800-992-1997.

Tell them you have a Jeep Wrangler JL, it is under warranty still and that you need to have it flat bedded, per the Owner's Manual, ( JL, MUST be flat bedded ) to the dealership, because.....

They will arrange for a flat bed truck to come get you right away and you never even see the bill.... another words, you don't have to get, to try to get, a reimbursement from FCA afterwards.

Caveat: For the flat bed ride to be free, you must have the JL, transported to the nearest authorized Jeep dealer. IF, you want it going to say a dealer a few miles further, call the Jeep Dedicated hotline and have it approved.
It did it when leaving work around 6 yesterday. And it happened again today not on the first start, but the second.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BikiniBritt

Was thinking.... this issue could be related to say, the steering pump.... 12v power to same...

Do, go to the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the engine compartment. The PDC is a black box with a removable cover, right near the main battery. Now, remove the cover and then, push down very firmly on all the fuses and relays you find there.. I promise you will find things there that are not pushed down enough..

When you replace the PDC cover, pull outward on each of it's two retaining clips, so the cover gets locked in place.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BikiniBritt

BikiniBritt

First Name
Britt/Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
@BikiniBritt

Was thinking.... this issue could be related to say, the steering pump.... 12v power to same...

Do, go to the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the engine compartment. The PDC is a black box with a removable cover, right near the main battery. Now, remove the cover and then, push down very firmly on all the fuses and relays you find there.. I promise you will find things there that are not pushed down enough..
that was my thoughts too, I’ll check them out. Just not sure if I should mess with that or get it to the dealer. I guess it doesn’t hurt to check

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that was my thoughts too, I’ll check them out. Just not sure if I should mess with that or get it to the dealer. I guess it doesn’t hurt to check
Well, most techs won't do the simple fuse/relay press...

No harm, no foul pressing in on the fuses and relays.. Do what you feel comfortable with. Obviously, steering loss is a big deal... and not to be taken lightly..

OP
OP
BikiniBritt

BikiniBritt

First Name
Britt/Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Figured, I would update this post for others. I pushed down all the fuses (some of which were definitely not seated all the way) and the issue has not reoccured. Thanks Everyone!
Sponsored