Sponsored

Steering Wheel Leather already failing at 2000 miles?

crazyone77

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Anyone had their steering wheel cover start splitting? Just turned 2000 miles and noticed it now that its got hot it seems to be drying out and cracking in two spots.

Brandon
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Leather Conditioner & Protectant its a must due on all new leather vehicles.

If you don't do it it will as you know crack and start peeling. If you are not a car care person buy a steering wheel cover.

OP
OP

crazyone77

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I've had A LOT of vehicles, all with leather wheels. This isn't a care issue.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Nope, at 2,800 miles mine is perfect. Feels brand new.

This sounds silly....but do you drive with dirty hands? If you make it a point to wash your hands before driving your Jeep, your leather will last longer. The oil, chemicals, dirt, sweat, etc. that comes off our skin will eat leather up quickly, especially during summer heat.

OP
OP

crazyone77

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I've had TONS of vehicles, wranglers, f150s, mustangs with leather wheels , all looked mint at 30k miles, explorer st 200k miles. Trust me it's not me on this one. Where it's breaking apart I don't even use .

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone had their steering wheel cover start splitting? Just turned 2000 miles and noticed it now that its got hot it seems to be drying out and cracking in two spots.
REAL Jeep steering wheels don't have that problem...

DSC_99521.jpg

:)

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I honestly don't know why Jeep puts leather wrapped steering wheels on the Sport S and Rubicon. I can understand the Sahara being more upscale.

I actually prefer non-leather steering wheels. They are easier to clean and don't have to be as careful with them with dirty hands.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly don't know why Jeep puts leather wrapped steering wheels on the Sport S and Rubicon. I can understand the Sahara being more upscale.

I actually prefer non-leather steering wheels. They are easier to clean and don't have to be as careful with them with dirty hands.
There's something to be said for the old classic wood and steel steering wheels...

s-l300.jpg

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
REAL Jeep steering wheels don't have that problem...

DSC_99521.jpg

:)
Lol . @NavyVet1959 is correct , and he knows because he collects steering wheels ; has an entire cabinet full of every steering wheel he has ever turned , lol . Together with all of his used license plates , lol .

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
I've had A LOT of vehicles, all with leather wheels. This isn't a care issue.
I have owned many jeeps with leather covered steering wheels, this JL would be the sixth. i never had an issue until this one, it was dried out on delivery. I didn't notice it till the next day. I took a pic and if it becomes a problem, i will have the dealer look at then.
Sponsored