Sponsored

Steering wheel bezel removal and airbag help

Bskylerj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Avalanche, 2012 Hyundai Sonata
Has anyone removed the steering wheel bezel? The black piece that comes out from under the airbag?

Does the entire wheel have to come off? Looks like it’s attached from behind.

Also trying to remove the airbag and can’t get the small orange wires disconnected.

Trying to paint the bezel. Any help would be great
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
That's one thing I would absolutely not screw with! Have you thought about just taping off the area really well and plastidip/paint? I just put vinyl on my JEEP. Good luck:like:

IMG_20190603_195244403.jpg

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I have not tried to take the steering wheel apart but my guess is that trim piece is sonic welded to the wheel and is not going to come off without destroying it.
HTH
Gregj

OP
OP

Bskylerj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got it

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm working on swapping my steering for a leather one. How did you end up removing the harness with the small wires covered in the orange conduit? Can't seem to figure it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bskylerj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm working on swapping my steering for a leather one. How did you end up removing the harness with the small wires covered in the orange conduit? Can't seem to figure it out.
They slide off on each end. They are hard to see. I thought n tried the black connector but follow them to the end you will find the 2 connections

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They slide off on each end. They are hard to see. I thought n tried the black connector but follow them to the end you will find the 2 connections
Ah, that makes sense. I thought the black connector came apart somehow.

Appreciate it!

rschadey

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL
Anyone know process or method to remove the 4 mount points of the bezel? Is it a torx bit or tiny phillips screw?

Motomargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Stryker 1300
Has anyone removed the steering wheel bezel? The black piece that comes out from under the airbag?

Does the entire wheel have to come off? Looks like it’s attached from behind.

Also trying to remove the airbag and can’t get the small orange wires disconnected.

Trying to paint the bezel. Any help would be great
I’m a few years late but wanted to add my experience today in case anyone else is looking in the future and finds this post

the steering wheel bezel in the center of airbag cover WILL NOT come out on its own lol. I tried prying it out after removing the airbag and it wouldn’t budge. I had purchased a steering wheel cover and Was hoping to just use the bezel to replace my old one which was now white because all the chrome rubbed off my 18 JLU. I found a YouTube video with instructions on how to replace that cover which is the route I took because it’s easier than removing the ring and putting it back. When I looked inside my original one, I saw the bezel and Jeep logo are either clipped in or melted into place. Can’t tell if they are clips that are badly molded or someone is fusing them into place in the factory. I’ll attach photos and the YouTube video.
I saw some comments here with people asking about removing wires and clips - I recommend a panel removal kit, I’ve used it more times than I can count. Also there are plenty of videos online if you search “airbag removal for Jeep JL” that will show you. You can do it lol.

my new airbag cover didn’t not have the chrome bezel and JEEP letters glued in, so I am typing this up while I wait for my plastic embel emblem and trim adhesive to dry.
Best of luck everyone. If anyone read this and it helped for any reason I’d love to hear.

Video I used to learn how to swap the covershttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-VcytfY20

8FBD2429-177A-45C2-B926-951962AF917B.jpeg

CFF8F205-624C-4547-81CB-D910466F0643.jpeg

C6D6A852-194C-4FDE-9E02-A86967C6B11C.jpeg

9094E95E-3AC6-45BC-9A8D-538CFC724652.jpeg

Midwestjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
@Motomargot thanks for the post! I too have a peeling/flaking chrome steering wheel ring. I cannot for the life of me find just the steering wheel air bag cover. Where did you find yours? I'd prefer to keep it OEM, but everywhere I look they want me to buy the entire air bag unit with the cover attached for $600.

I did find an aftermarket cover made by MHF Auto Lighting in New Jersey. They want $300, but again I'd prefer to keep it OEM (and cheaper). They'll be my last resort if I can't find an OEM option. Thanks!

Sponsored

Motomargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Stryker 1300
@Motomargot thanks for the post! I too have a peeling/flaking chrome steering wheel ring. I cannot for the life of me find just the steering wheel air bag cover. Where did you find yours? I'd prefer to keep it OEM, but everywhere I look they want me to buy the entire air bag unit with the cover attached for $600.

I did find an aftermarket cover made by MHF Auto Lighting in New Jersey. They want $300, but again I'd prefer to keep it OEM (and cheaper). They'll be my last resort if I can't find an OEM option. Thanks!
Of course! So I may have lucked out because I found mine new on eBay. I did a search and see that they are charging $600 on mopar for the whole airbag which I agree isn’t ideal. I also wanted to stick with mopar, though the custom ones look very cool. I checked eBay and found this one listed currently for $70:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1858251977...Mi388b5Rpa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Midwestjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thanks for the quick reply and eBay link. Unfortunately it ships from China and the description doesn’t make complete sense. It talks about cleaning the surface so the adhesive works properly?! There’s no adhesive on the cover. It also says it’s ‘used’ in one area and ‘new’ in a different place. Something is off. I do appreciate you finding it though. I’ll keep an eye on eBay for a while as I talk to MHF about their aftermarket cover. All the best!
Sponsored