Steering Wheel Audio Control

dcarey13

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Just brought home a new 2-door JL - so very cool!! - and have a question about the audio controls on the steering wheel. When uConnect is in SAT mode, the buttons on the back left hand side of the steering wheel work as follows:

* Up/Down buttons switch the SAT channel up/down one station.
* The center button cycles up (not down) through FAV settings.

Is there any way to alter this? I would prefer that the up/down buttons cycle through the favorite settings rather than individual channels.

Thanks
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As stated ..... NOPE

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well, this is just sad, my 2015 Silverado would only flip through my "saved" favorites stations. I'm sure this could easily be remedied with a firmware update, and I hope that it is. I love the radio, and the Uconnect system, but I do find it to be an inconvenience to change channels (my saved) via the display when I'm driving on the highway with high winds, and maniacs.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Well, this is just sad, my 2015 Silverado would only flip through my "saved" favorites stations. I'm sure this could easily be remedied with a firmware update, and I hope that it is. I love the radio, and the Uconnect system, but I do find it to be an inconvenience to change channels (my saved) via the display when I'm driving on the highway with high winds, and maniacs.
Have you tried pressing and holding the up/down buttons to see if takes you to your next saved channel? My Honda will switch to next saved station with one press or you can press and hold to scan to next available station.

At minimum, you can press the center button on the back of the steering wheel to select the next higher saved station so you don’t have to switch via the display.

You can also use voice commands to change the station (according to owner’s manual).

Last edited:

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried pressing and holding the up/down buttons to see if takes you to your next saved channel? My Honda will switch to next saved station with one press or you can press and hold to scan to next available station.

At minimum, you can press the center button on the back of the steering wheel to select the next higher saved station so you don’t have to switch via the display.

You can also use voice commands to change the station (according to owner’s manual).
No, I have not, but thank you for the suggestion. I will try what you suggested. Worst case, to your point, is to just get used to the voice commands perhaps.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i don't mind it this way, but i wish it was volume on that side, and channel surf on the right. because, if my hand is on the shifter, and i want to turn up the volume, i will just reach for the big rubber knob, rather than put that hand on the steering wheel to turn up the radio. my left hand is always on the wheel, so volume at that hand would make more sense. my VW was that way.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, I have not, but thank you for the suggestion. I will try what you suggested. Worst case, to your point, is to just get used to the voice commands perhaps.
I thought I'd post a follow up to this. From JeepstersFreak suggestion, I depressed both the "up, and down" buttons on the left side for changing the channel, and ultimately discovered that the there's also a small button you can press on top of the up/down buttons. Using this button will cycle upwards through your saved stations, as I want. It's only upwards, but I only have about 7 channels I listen to anyhow, so this works great for me.

Conversely, on the opposite side where you control the sound volume, the button that exists on that side will control your input, cycling through SiriusXM, FM, AM, and any of your Bluetooth/USB devices.

2018-10-28_13-11-38.jpg

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
...and ultimately discovered that the there's also a small button you can press on top of the up/down buttons. Using this button will cycle upwards through your saved stations, as I want. It's only upwards, but I only have about 7 channels I listen to anyhow, so this works great for me.
Thanks for your post and picture, but the OP already said that in his second bullet.

Sponsored

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
I thought I'd post a follow up to this. From JeepstersFreak suggestion, I depressed both the "up, and down" buttons on the left side for changing the channel, and ultimately discovered that the there's also a small button you can press on top of the up/down buttons. Using this button will cycle upwards through your saved stations, as I want. It's only upwards, but I only have about 7 channels I listen to anyhow, so this works great for me.

Conversely, on the opposite side where you control the sound volume, the button that exists on that side will control your input, cycling through SiriusXM, FM, AM, and any of your Bluetooth/USB devices.

2018-10-28_13-11-38.jpg
Thanks for the close up pics. I've been wondering what was up with these buttons and hadn't gotten around to figuring out the deal with these yet!

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the close up pics. I've been wondering what was up with these buttons and hadn't gotten around to figuring out the deal with these yet!
Sure thing. I understand how you feel, I've been feeling a tiny bit overwhelmed with some of the settings, etc, and have not made the time to read up.
Sponsored