Sponsored

Steering Upgrade Explanation for Dummies...

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So I recently pulled the trigger on my lift (MC 3.5 Game Changer) and am going to be running 38s. Am I being stupid and not upgrading my Drag Link, and Tie Rod? The Jeep is a 2020 with like 8000 miles on it and will still be a daily driver to me. I know these components are beefy and sturdier for offroad, but can I get by with stock for a bit, or do I need to shell out more money? Probably sounds like a really stupid question, but I honestly have no idea on anything steering related.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
game changer comes with f/r track bars!

its always a good idea to to upgrade your steering components especially when adding larger tires. These JLs are great but the factory steering parts aren’t known for being overbilt

brett

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
game changer comes with f/r track bars!

its always a good idea to to upgrade your steering components especially when adding larger tires. These JLs are great but the factory steering parts aren’t known for being overbilt

brett
Soooooo what I'm hearing is....they'll work for a little bit but I don't HAVE to do it in the next few weeks? Lift, wheels, Tires, gears, install thats a rather large ticket and I'm trying to see what can wait slightly lol.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
So I recently pulled the trigger on my lift (MC 3.5 Game Changer) and am going to be running 38s. Am I being stupid and not upgrading my Drag Link, and Tie Rod? The Jeep is a 2020 with like 8000 miles on it and will still be a daily driver to me. I know these components are beefy and sturdier for offroad, but can I get by with stock for a bit, or do I need to shell out more money? Probably sounds like a really stupid question, but I honestly have no idea on anything steering related.
I think you need to prioritize regear first, otherwise your DD will be miserable.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would drive it and se how it does after lift install , just remember you’re on borrowed time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I think you need to prioritize regear first, otherwise your DD will be miserable.
I picked up the 5.13s to put in at the same time. Definitely knew that lesson from my previous JK.

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I would drive it and se how it does after lift install , just remember you’re on borrowed time.
I absolutely understand that. I just wasn't sure if I could wait like 3-4 months, recover from the impact of Lift, Wheels, Tires, Gears, and Install haha.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Soooooo what I'm hearing is....they'll work for a little bit but I don't HAVE to do it in the next few weeks? Lift, wheels, Tires, gears, install thats a rather large ticket and I'm trying to see what can wait slightly lol.
ideally you’d get it all done at once, however, the factory stuff can be fine until you’re able to upgrade it. Theres folks still rocking the oem stuff without issues and 37s and others that have issues stock.

Brett

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The kit already comes with front and rear track bars.

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Y'all showed me the light and the error of my ways....just shelled out another $1K for the Synergy HD Steering Kit, and Sector Shaft brace. Whats an extra grand? Am I right? Sad crying.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Y'all showed me the light and the error of my ways....just shelled out another $1K for the Synergy HD Steering Kit, and Sector Shaft brace. Whats an extra grand? Am I right? Sad crying.
It’s the right thing to do..... buy once cry once....... but for a while.......:)

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2017 Porsche 911
Build Thread
Link
So I'm in the same spot, as my Metalcloak GameChanger 3.5" lift was done yesterday, and I'm on 37's. How do you decide between 1 ton vs 2.5 ton steering kits?

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
You should be fine without the beefier steering components. Unless you rock crawl.
Sponsored