Steering TSB

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
Curious if anyone has had their steering box replaced under the TSB? Mine has play and at highway speeds I typically have the wheel turned one way or another to keep my Jeep straight. It's not terrible, but I'd like to get the updated box before my warranty expires.

What dealer did you use? How was the experience? Any other advice?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if anyone has had their steering box replaced under the TSB? Mine has play and at highway speeds I typically have the wheel turned one way or another to keep my Jeep straight. It's not terrible, but I'd like to get the updated box before my warranty expires.

There are several threads on those of us who've had the TSB completed. I had it done on both of my JL's and my only complaint is I waited too long! For my vehicles, it definitely helped the steering. My chief complaints (especially on my 2019) was having to make constant small corrections and having a pull to the right. The new steering box fixed both of those issues.

I used my local dealer. Unlike some others, my local dealer service dept. is very good and works on a lot of Wranglers and have never complained if it's modified or not. My 2018 has a lift, Synergy steering, etc. and they didn't charge me any extra to get the new steering box installed.

When you get it done, look at the invoice before leaving to ensure they also flashed the ECU with the new software. The new steel steering box uses a different program than the old aluminum one. Multiple owners on this forum had the TSB done and still had steering problems. When they looked into it further, they found the service dept. failed to flash the ECU with the new software. I'd also check the PS fluid level to ensure it's at the proper level as others have also found the PS fluid was low.

Here's just one of the threads about this subject:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ved-steering-feel.56363/page-149#post-1389399

PNW_JL

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a 2021 and in Washington State, so to answer your question, I used West Hills in Bremerton.

I just got back from picking up my 2021 from service. The steering kept pulling to the right and had me making constant left corrections.

In short, they found the steering box to be "bad" in which they replaced, software was already up to date being a 2021 (and I had them print out from DealerConnect to confirm), and alignment.

Upon getting my keys back, I took it on a drive before giving back the rental car. Steering no longer requires left correction, however, there is the dreaded dead-spot and very loose that a lot of folks have experienced here on the forums with the many threads on this same subject.

Darlene from @JeepCares had Hazel from Jeep Wave call me, but I had literally just picked up my car. I explained the new steering feel and they would escalate further and have the dealership work with me more. We'll see what happens.

Mr.BoJangles_91

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I went into my local dealership (Rairdons in Kirkland) to have them install the towing wiring harness. While I was chatting with Alyssa in the service department, I had mentioned that my steering felt loose. She immediately said that there is a TSB out right now that'll solve that and that she'll have the tech look at it.

When I go into pick up my jeep a few hours later, Alyssa brought me to the back to chat with the Tech, Arturo, about the issue I was having. Arturo showed me how the old box was the cause of loose feeling with his old steering box that he replaced on his jeep the week prior. Then we stood there and chatted about jeep stuff for the next 5 - 10 minutes. Made me feel way more comfortable with going with this dealership, specially after reading some horror stories on this site.

Now the weird part, I asked for Alyssa to order me that part but since my Jeep is a Canada import, I'd have to go through the third party warranty. Thankfully she did all of that and my warranty company approved. She called me the next day and said the FCA put a hold on all orders till the end of January. Two days later the part was in the shop and I was scheduled the following day. I had asked for Arturo to do the install, knowing that he had done the work on his own jeep.

It did take them a day and a half which I thought was weird, but they gave me a loaner.

Since them I have put on 35" tires. And I can say those + new steering box + falcon steering stabilizer set to "hard" = completely different and better ride. Night and day difference.

PNW_JL

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I went into my local dealership (Rairdons in Kirkland)
Thanks for sharing your experience! Usually I see only bad things about Rairdon's (mostly sales dept)
If I don't hear back from JeepCares, I'll probably take a ferry and give Rairdon's a try, especially with Arturo knowing what's up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone used Autonation Bellevue for their steering TSB?

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
@MrBell I have appointment to drop off my 2018 JLR tomorrow morning at AutoNation Bellevue to get steering TSB done. I can let you know my thoughts after. My steering deadspot/wandering is mostly noticeable on highway. So I don't expect to have thoughts to share until after weekend skiing where I'll get to test it on the highway.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hey, MrBell. We recommend having your steering repaired as soon as you can. If you have questions or would like our assistance, please reach out!

Kate
Jeep Cares

@MrBell I have appointment to drop off my 2018 JLR tomorrow morning at AutoNation Bellevue to get steering TSB done. I can let you know my thoughts after. My steering deadspot/wandering is mostly noticeable on highway. So I don't expect to have thoughts to share until after weekend skiing where I'll get to test it on the highway.
Let us know how your appointment goes, RubiRed. If you need further assistance, we're a PM away!

Kate
Jeep Cares

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
@JeepCares I can DM but I went into my dealer and showed the TSB as well as how it pulls to the right (if I let go of the steering wheel the Jeep moves to the right and has a dead spot as well). I can deal with it but for the price of the Jeep I dont think I should. My issue was that the dealer service manager said "test drove found no issue" and said if they find no issue, then they don't replace the steering box. I will be bringing it back to the dealer (or another) and requesting the same replace each time. I am not sure what Jeep is telling the dealers but it seems a holistic issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
RubiRed... yes, please let me know how the process goes? Which service advisor are you working with?

zkbule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2021 and in Washington State, so to answer your question, I used West Hills in Bremerton.

I just got back from picking up my 2021 from service. The steering kept pulling to the right and had me making constant left corrections.

In short, they found the steering box to be "bad" in which they replaced, software was already up to date being a 2021 (and I had them print out from DealerConnect to confirm), and alignment.

Upon getting my keys back, I took it on a drive before giving back the rental car. Steering no longer requires left correction, however, there is the dreaded dead-spot and very loose that a lot of folks have experienced here on the forums with the many threads on this same subject.

Darlene from @JeepCares had Hazel from Jeep Wave call me, but I had literally just picked up my car. I explained the new steering feel and they would escalate further and have the dealership work with me more. We'll see what happens.
I have a 2021 too but I'm wandering isn't that TSB only for 2018 - 2020 year model? I checked mine and already is the steel version. May be they have a new TSB for the 2021 already?

PNW_JL

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a 2021 too but I'm wandering isn't that TSB only for 2018 - 2020 year model? I checked mine and already is the steel version. May be they have a new TSB for the 2021 already?
Yes, it states 2018-2020 but my local dealership took care of me. Also, Jeep Wave/Customer Service told me that 2021 owners are already calling in for the issue and resolution involves steering gear replacement.
All in all and after a second (yet shorter visit), my Jeep is now steering as it should. I'm now content.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
My feelings are about like yours. Steering really isn't great, two hands and constant corrections, but it isn't too bad "for a Jeep". Anyway, I decided to go for it before my warranty timed out. Goes in tomorrow. I'll report back.

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine back this evening and went for quick test run. Unfortunately the steering deadspot did not get addressed and may be ever so slightly worse. My service rep is very easy to work with and willing to help so I'm going to follow up with him in the coming days. I can confirm the trackbar did not get replaced (only applies to earlier JL like mine) and he's looking into rectifying that.

But I'm doubtful the trackbar is the main culprit. My suspicion is the steering software update was not properly applied even though his tech says it's been done. Sounds very similar to this post:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-worse-after-tsb-fix.59652/post-1386692

I'll report back after he's had a chance to follow up. In the meantime here's a copy of the latest Steering TSB 08-003-21. Note this replaces the earlier 08-074-20 issued in 2020. As far as I can tell the newest one explicitly calls out wheel alignment needs to be done as well as steering gear part number for right hand drive vehicles.
Sponsored

Attachments