Steering sucks...I believe it now

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Ok, so I haven’t driven my JLUR for the last 5000 or so miles. I’ve been using our other cars since they are new and wanted to get them both past their break-in periods to ensure there were no immediate warranty issues.
My wife got a Volvo XC90 and I picked up a BMW X3. Needless to say the steering in both cars is superb.

So I decide to take my Jeep out for the weekend and there trip required some highway driving
WTF, the thing was all over the place initially. It even darted on me to one side of the lane unexpectedly. The wind wasn’t bad and road crown wasn’t a huge issue. I also started to sense some death wobble/shimmy over a few bumps at speed.

By the end of the day things seem to calm down. I was still able to drive at 75 with one hand, but it was a significant adjustment.

After 20,000 miles I never gave much thought overall about the steering even though I went through a short period of OCD with dead space in the wheel.

Guess I’ll be reading up on the other threads to see what the fix is if any.
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
combination of quality issues from factory: loose bolts, bad initial alignments, over filled tires.
DEfective parts including: steering stabilizer, soft bushing on trackbar and drag link (which are on the tuning fork side)

Kevin’s Rubi

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired flight test engineer
combination of quality issues from factory: loose bolts, bad initial alignments, over filled tires.
DEfective parts including: steering stabilizer, soft bushing on trackbar and drag link (which are on the tuning fork side)
Great post Gary. That nails the feedback from the forum and is exactly what I like so much about this forum.

I lucked out with mine. I notice that it's a little looser than the JK but I think that was in response to all the JK owners discussing the steering being too tight. My opinion only of course.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Ok, so I haven’t driven my JLUR for the last 5000 or so miles. I’ve been using our other cars since they are new and wanted to get them both past their break-in periods to ensure there were no immediate warranty issues.
My wife got a Volvo XC90 and I picked up a BMW X3. Needless to say the steering in both cars is superb.

So I decide to take my Jeep out for the weekend and there trip required some highway driving
WTF, the thing was all over the place initially. It even darted on me to one side of the lane unexpectedly. The wind wasn’t bad and road crown wasn’t a huge issue. I also started to sense some death wobble/shimmy over a few bumps at speed.

By the end of the day things seem to calm down. I was still able to drive at 75 with one hand, but it was a significant adjustment.

After 20,000 miles I never gave much thought overall about the steering even though I went through a short period of OCD with dead space in the wheel.

Guess I’ll be reading up on the other threads to see what the fix is if any.
you had to drive 20,000 miles to realize?

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Well, I've owned a JK before so when I first got it last year I chalked it up to a Jeep thing. Then the more I drove it the more I got used to it. When I jumped on the steering thread here I started to dig a little deeper and my OCD kicked in a bit with the dead zone, etc. But when I realized I could drive it one handed going 75+ down a not so perfect highway I figured all was good. At this point I had about 10,000 miles on it. I never really thought there were any issues as I didn't drive any other cars to compare it to.

Now that I've logged 5,000 miles continuous on my other two cars and have gone back to the Jeep it's very noticeable. The first day I took it out I was actually a bit nervous on the highway, but like I said things calmed down a bit by the end of the day as I got used to the steering.

So I guess my point is, most will say the steering is fine, but then you've got to consider maybe they just got used to it like me. When they switch to another car for more than a few hundred miles and then go back to the Jeep, they will then notice how bad the steering really is or how much they need to adjust their driving to accommodate for the poor steering.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Well, I've owned a JK before so when I first got it last year I chalked it up to a Jeep thing. Then the more I drove it the more I got used to it. When I jumped on the steering thread here I started to dig a little deeper and my OCD kicked in a bit with the dead zone, etc. But when I realized I could drive it one handed going 75+ down a not so perfect highway I figured all was good. At this point I had about 10,000 miles on it. I never really thought there were any issues as I didn't drive any other cars to compare it to.

Now that I've logged 5,000 miles continuous on my other two cars and have gone back to the Jeep it's very noticeable. The first day I took it out I was actually a bit nervous on the highway, but like I said things calmed down a bit by the end of the day as I got used to the steering.

So I guess my point is, most will say the steering is fine, but then you've got to consider maybe they just got used to it like me. When they switch to another car for more than a few hundred miles and then go back to the Jeep, they will then notice how bad the steering really is or how much they need to adjust their driving to accommodate for the poor steering.
I made a post yesterday regarding a fix on this issue, hopefully that helps:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...tar-case-s1819000004.25550/page-7#post-704154

tasteless garbage

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I've got 20,000 miles on my 18 jlur and I love the way it steers with 33's and stock
suspension.
Sponsored