Sponsored

Steering Stabilizers

ksmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5” lift for my JLUR. At what point should I look at steering stabilizers? I plan on keeping the 33” stock tires for a while but eventually want to go 35”. When is it a good idea to upgrade a stabilizer? Thanks
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Probably never.

Other than having to replace one that was damaged or literally torn off on the trail, there really is no need to "upgrade" a steering stabilizer. Unless you start replacing some serious hardware, like axles and powertrains, and decide something crazy like 40's belong on your Jeep, the stock one is more than adequate.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5” lift for my JLUR. At what point should I look at steering stabilizers? I plan on keeping the 33” stock tires for a while but eventually want to go 35”. When is it a good idea to upgrade a stabilizer? Thanks
What @Spank said. :like:
The only aftermarket stabilizers I really like are the through shaft adjustable ones. I like the ability to have firm steering feel on road, then turn it all the way soft while rock crawling.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
What @Spank said. :like:
The only aftermarket stabilizers I really like are the through shaft adjustable ones. I like the ability to have firm steering feel on road, then turn it all the way soft while rock crawling.
Teraflex should have one out soon. They had them at EJS I heard.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
With what you're planning, you should not need to upgrade. At some point you'll need to replace the stabilizer like if you damage it while off roading or it wears out when you eventually upgrade to a bigger tire.

Sponsored

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
What lift are you planning on using?

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So there’s no caster correction which means you’ll feel like it’s wandering at times. SS not needed for 33’s . This is yrfirst jeep?

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So there’s no caster correction which means you’ll feel like it’s wandering at times. SS not needed for 33’s . This is yrfirst jeep?
Mine doesn't wander. I did get an alignment but from what I hear it's not needed. It's my 8th Jeep (CJ, YJ, 2x TJ and 3x JK).

Sponsored

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How’s the angle of the lower control arms . Parallel to ground? Then this shouldn’t be a surprise to you. If yr running good caster the stock stabilizer should work... yea you could drop 400 on an ats set up but I’ve always felt they mask bigger problems...

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How’s the angle of the lower control arms . Parallel to ground? Then this shouldn’t be a surprise to you. If yr running good caster the stock stabilizer should work... yea you could drop 400 on an ats set up but I’ve always felt they mask bigger problems...
I've always thought steering stabilizers were more about tire width than anything else. I'm running a 12.5" width and have no issues. Most 33's are the same.

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I installed the RC steering stabilizer today and it made a huge diffeeence in handling.

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
So is the Rough Country better than the stock stabilizer? I will gladly spend the money if it handles better at highway speeds.
Sponsored