Sponsored

Steering Stabilizer Choice

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I may move it one day but in over 25 years of off roading I've only rubbed one once....the current Fox 2.0. A rock at Jericho Mountain SP in New Hampshire put a nice scuff on it, but it was only cosmetic. But I still may move it at some point.

What size track bar clamp would the JL need?
1-5/8" man I would tear that thing off in a matter of hours.
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I got tired of waiting for the adjustable Nexus unit and opted for the non-adjustable unit (2.1). It is a huge improvement over stock. It stiffens up the ride on the highway (much less wandering) and definitely takes out vibration out of the steering wheel over bumps.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Fox. The bracket issue is in the reviews where a few said they had to bend it to fit. I'm not too worried because I have access to a shop where I can easily do that. What bugs me is that they've said Fox reps admit that some of them aren't right but refuse to swap them out.

What I like is that it has many more levels of adjustment and I absolutely love the Fox shocks on my Jeep. I also haven't seen anyone who doesn't love it once installed.

@Quadratec says it will ship November 9. We shall see! But I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and suggestions! I'll keep you posted on it.

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I ordered the Fox. The bracket issue is in the reviews where a few said they had to bend it to fit. I'm not too worried because I have access to a shop where I can easily do that. What bugs me is that they've said Fox reps admit that some of them aren't right but refuse to swap them out.

What I like is that it has many more levels of adjustment and I absolutely love the Fox shocks on my Jeep. I also haven't seen anyone who doesn't love it once installed.

@Quadratec says it will ship November 9. We shall see! But I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and suggestions! I'll keep you posted on it.
I can attest the Fox bracket to fit the JL in stock location is not a perfect fit. I bought that one first and was stupid and tried to make it fit. Ended up cross threading the bolts…so say hello to the JK version as it comes with the relocation bracket already installed. Just need the Synergy bolt as the JK one is no bueno due to way it fits. I like the way it sits up and away anyway. Good luck.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been very pleased with my Fox TS stabilizer. I went with the nonadjustable version because I have no desire to regularly change the firmness.

If the time comes that you want to relocate it, I highly recommend the SteerSmarts relocation bracket that attaches to the front of the track bar bracket on the axle side. It orients the mounting bolt vertically, which allows the bushing to rotate as the wheels are turned lock to lock instead of it constantly being forced to misalign. My reasoning is longevity of that bushing.

Here's the best shot that I have of it...
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering Stabilizer Choice 20210816_101415

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If the time comes that you want to relocate it, I highly recommend the SteerSmarts relocation bracket that attaches to the front of the track bar bracket on the axle side. It orients the mounting bolt vertically, which allows the bushing to rotate as the wheels are turned lock to lock instead of it constantly being forced to misalign. My reasoning is longevity of that bushing.
This is definitely something to consider. The track bar side bushing on my SS is running with off axis pressure (probably 5* or so) with the Synergy track bar bolt I’m using. Didn’t even think about it until I had to pull it laterally to do the install.

Cat4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Can someone explain how the JK fox ATS can be set up for the JL? Seems like those are more available too.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is definitely something to consider. The track bar side bushing on my SS is running with off axis pressure (probably 5* or so) with the Synergy track bar bolt I’m using. Didn’t even think about it until I had to pull it laterally to do the install.
Yeah, these types of shock bushings weren't designed for misalignment like those used on control arms or track bars.

I believe Metalcloaks stabilizer relocation bracket follows the same mentality. And speaking of them, they include wheel end shock relocation brackets that also rotate the mounting bushing 90° for the same purpose.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Can someone explain how the JK fox ATS can be set up for the JL? Seems like those are more available too.
Looks like travel is the same, so that's not an issue. The stock JL tie rod diameter is an "option" on the JK one. P/N 983-02-088 instead of 983-02-070.

Hopefully someone will confirm if that's the only needed change.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you want the new stabilizer to remain in the factory lower position? If so, you'd have to switch out the tie rod clamp for an axle housing bracket. Assuming you are currently using the factory setup, just unbolt the factory stabilizer at both bushings and bolt the new one in its place.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yeah, these types of shock bushings weren't designed for misalignment like those used on control arms or track bars.

I believe Metalcloaks stabilizer relocation bracket follows the same mentality. And speaking of them, they include wheel end shock relocation brackets that also rotate the mounting bushing 90° for the same purpose.
I'd consider changing it out if I hadn't used blue lock-tite on the tie rod bracket. After half stripping the track bar mounting screw with the recommended torque, I'm afraid I'll have to break out the cutting wheel to get the tie rod mount off now.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you want the new stabilizer to remain in the factory lower position? If so, you'd have to switch out the tie rod clamp for an axle housing bracket. Assuming you are currently using the factory setup, just unbolt the factory stabilizer at both bushings and bolt the new one in its place.
One other thing that just popped in my mind, is to verify that the factory axle side bracket will clear the through shaft of the new Fox

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'd consider changing it out if I hadn't used blue lock-tite on the tie rod bracket. After half stripping the track bar mounting screw with the recommended torque, I'm afraid I'll have to break out the cutting wheel to get the tie rod mount off now.
No hurry, I know they last at least two years, lol.
Sponsored