Steering Shimmy on back roads, but good on highway

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Road crown? If you’re applying say left steering wheel input to maintain heading on a straight road but the road crown depending how curved it is your jeep will wanna follow it pretty aggressively.
If not then i misunderstood.
Sponsored

OP
OP
scottybue

scottybue

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Freedom Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Road crown? If you’re applying say left steering wheel input to maintain heading on a straight road but the road crown depending how curved it is your jeep will wanna follow it pretty aggressively.
If not then i misunderstood.
I’m sure that was a part of it. The lower tire pressure seems to have dulled the effect. Having higher pressures in the tires, and the Jeep seemed to chase every wave in the road.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm wondering if part of your issue is not the "busy" steering I had before the dealer did the steering box fix. High tire pressure will make it feel flighty but at 32 you should be better. A true steering wheel shimmy though can be tire related, as in out of round, bad balance, broken belt, etc. Since the tires are relatively new I would hazard to guess it's the tires, however, I have seen new tires that would balance, but when road forced balanced would show bad. Would do alignment, get back to 6-6.5 caster, and steering box before anything else though.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me, I'd dial the caster down to 6-6.5°. Caster is conjoined to front pinion angle. Too much caster could possibly introduce a driveshaft vibration when in 4 hi. It could also slow down the steerings return to center after coming out of a turn. After that, check you toe-in measurement. Dialing mine down to 1/16" of total toe-in, fixed my shimmy. As tire diameter increases, so does the toe-in measurement.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Get the steering TSB done. It might not solve it, but it also could.

I've noticed when on dirt roads at speed the steering would wander more than on the highway pre-TSB. I suspect the slop in the system was just following ruts and such versus on pavement having enough caster was keeping it pointed straight.

In other words the ruts were enough to overcome the caster wanting to return to center, and the slop becoming a factor.

With the TSB this is not a problem on dirt roads at speed. But I also have way better shocks now too.

Sponsored