Steering Service Bulletin Denied - Advice Please

Yovwmon

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Altitude
I had the same experienc, went to another dealer and they ordered and installed the new gear within 4 weeks.
Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I had an appointment set up with my dealer to have the steering evaluated. The day before the appointment I received an email from the dealer stating the appointment would not need to be done and they were ordering the parts necessary for the replacement. The parts ar due in next week. I called the dealer and was told that FCA told them to replace the gear if the customer complained about it, no check was necessary.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had an appointment set up with my dealer to have the steering evaluated. The day before the appointment I received an email from the dealer stating the appointment would not need to be done and they were ordering the parts necessary for the replacement. The parts ar due in next week. I called the dealer and was told that FCA told them to replace the gear if the customer complained about it, no check was necessary.
This is the outcome I'd like to see for myself, and it makes sense

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
Took mine in last week for my appointment with a rock krawler 2 1/2 lift and trackbar, falcon shocks and a rusty's brace. I did remove my 35's and fuel wheels and replaced them with gladiator rubicon 33's from my wife's sport. Looked like ass but I thought my chances might be better the closer to stock I could get. Service advisor told me they would have to duplicate the issue or it wouldn't get done. I pointed out where it said if the customer complained it would be repaired. He repeated they still had to duplicate my issues. I had written on my copy of the tsb that it had a constant right pull and in hot temperatures it would take right hand turns at interstate speeds if I took my hand off the wheel. I advised him to keep my copy of the tsb and the issues I highlighted "just in case". The end of day he called and said they couldn't duplicate my concern, but spent the day getting approval from a regional rep due to my "extreme heavy duty lift components". He said it was approved because my components met or exceeded oem quality. They had the parts in stock and I got it back a couple days later.

Mine has had two steering stabilizers replaced under recall. Although mine did pull harder in warmer temperatures, when I brought it in with my wifes' tires on it there was minimal pull and none when I picked it up. Even though I thought mine didn't have much of a dead spot or wandering issue, it now feels like a normal, stable vehicle with responsive steering, no constant little corrections needed for every road imperfection that I must have just gotten used to. Just figured I'd mention that for the guys who aren't doing it because they don't feel they have an issue. In addition to the fact you're replacing an aluminum box with a steel one, the durability has to be better?

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
@Driftyd, sorry to hear about your troubles. Just to be clear, I have clearance to get my steering gear replaced but I'm still on a waiting list. They are not giving me an ETA on when they can get me in. My other suggestion is to work with a few dealers in your area, if possible. It took me three tries to find this one. I initially went to Suburban in Ann Arbor then Golling in Chelsea, neither were very friendly with modified Jeeps. Not that Pinckney goes way above and beyond but at least they are very reasonable and doesn't write you off as soon as they see your lift.

By the way, are they holding your Jeep while they're waiting for the steering gear? Or is there other work being done? If it's just to wait for the part, there's no reason why they shouldn't release your Jeep until the part comes in?
I got my jeep back because the steering gear is on back order and I didn’t want a loaner.

Sponsored

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
Its very interesting how Jeep dealerships are handling this issue. My jeep had this issue (had a boat load of play in the steering wheel, and it wandered everywhere lol, worse than driving my 89 YJ). I took it to my local dealership (i didn't even buy my jeep from them), and within 10 minuets of them having it they came out and said we'll order the parts and get it fixed by next week and all was covered under warranty. They were so quick and really helpful, it did take longer to get the parts in (mopar backorder) but they updated me once a week until the parts finally came in. I don't get how one dealership can be so awesome and others be complete garbage, how has Jeep not set the standard the same across the board?

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Its very interesting how Jeep dealerships are handling this issue. My jeep had this issue (had a boat load of play in the steering wheel, and it wandered everywhere lol, worse than driving my 89 YJ). I took it to my local dealership (i didn't even buy my jeep from them), and within 10 minuets of them having it they came out and said we'll order the parts and get it fixed by next week and all was covered under warranty. They were so quick and really helpful, it did take longer to get the parts in (mopar backorder) but they updated me once a week until the parts finally came in. I don't get how one dealership can be so awesome and others be complete garbage, how has Jeep not set the standard the same across the board?
These differences are why I went to a dealer, farther away, that 'gets it' more and sponsors some local wheeling too. It will make a difference when I buy my next Jeep too!

(Scott, I like your picture of your Jeep fleet!)

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These differences are why I went to a dealer, farther away, that 'gets it' more and sponsors some local wheeling too. It will make a difference when I buy my next Jeep too!

(Scott, I like your picture of your Jeep fleet!)
And that's the truth! I drive an hour to pick up my jeep (dead i just couldn't turn down lol). But when ever it needs service I take it to the local dealership and they're just wonderful so much so that we ended up buying another JLU from them haha!

(thank you MNW, the kids love the jeeps as much as I do haha! Heres the rest of the fleet haha! i have a problem i know!)
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering Service Bulletin Denied - Advice Please More jeeps

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
My kids don't have their own cars just yet, BUT we are likely to have at least 3 if not 4 Wranglers in the next few years - only 2 for now.

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
I got my jeep back because the steering gear is on back order and I didn’t want a loaner.
I’ve been on the phone with FCA and the dealership and I’ve came to the conclusion after speaking with them that the delay is caused because of a back order. I was also told by FCA that the dealership cannot even order them until December 7 because FCA is going to make this a national recall because of all the steering issues going on with their jeeps.

Sponsored

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
They are bullshitting you. Our VINs are extremely close and I had zero issues. They didn’t even do anything but order parts and install/update software. Come up this way.
I have a 2018 JL Rubicon and I have been dealing with the steering issue for two years. I have been running into the same problem and I’ve been on the phone with FCA and there’s two different safety bulletins for my jeep but unfortunately the parts are on back order and the dealership cannot even order them until December 7. I was told that the delay was because FCA is going to do a national recall on the jeeps because of the steering issues with the steering gear.I will let you know if I have any updates

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2018 JL Rubicon and I have been dealing with the steering issue for two years. I have been running into the same problem and I’ve been on the phone with FCA and there’s two different safety bulletins for my jeep but unfortunately the parts are on back order and the dealership cannot even order them until December 7. I was told that the delay was because FCA is going to do a national recall on the jeeps because of the steering issues with the steering gear.I will let you know if I have any updates
I don't believe all that, my buddy has a 2019 JLU and his was just in the shop last week getting his steering box fixed next week. I doubt they'll do a national recall as its not "a life threatening issue". I think some dealerships just don't want to deal with it so they blow you off or tell you nothing is wrong.

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
I agree because I just got off the phone with FCA trying to reach my case manager and of course they’re not available. I don’t get it there’s two safety recalls on my jeep U48 and NHTSA 18-V-343 why the dealership didn’t go ahead and fix those during one of the oil changes or countless other trips to the dealership. I think I may need to find a dealership in northern Michigan

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Funny thing is i have a 2021 JLU with 500 Miles on it now and with the new Steering box from factory.I still have some play and when i took it just now to the dealer ( went to the wrong dealer location, my bad scheduling ) they said they cant really do anything about it since its factory installed and if this is my first time jeep that is how it drives, a jeep thing..............i still made another appointment with them this Monday to have it checked and see if the "factory" installed new box wasnt a botched one....

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’ve been on the phone with FCA and the dealership and I’ve came to the conclusion after speaking with them that the delay is caused because of a back order. I was also told by FCA that the dealership cannot even order them until December 7 because FCA is going to make this a national recall because of all the steering issues going on with their jeeps.
So, dealers can’t order boxes to fix issues for EXISTING customers but FCA has plenty of boxes to put in new 2021’s?

awesome customer-focused culture.
Sponsored