Steering Service Bulletin Denied - Advice Please

treyman

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara Black on Black on Black
call me dumb. But i never saw what TSB stands for. My 19 sahara wonders all over the highway at freeway speed and generally pulls left, plenty of play in the wheel. No deathwobble or anything like that. Lifted MC 3.5 and 37s. I have the synergy brace in hand but have not installed it yet plan to this next weekend. Will dealer replace my sterring box? Should it help? (Insert mind blown emoji)
Sponsored

Last edited:

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
TSB is a technical service bulletin put out by FCA.
It's not a recall.
There are other posts...some other people have had the steering gear replaced in their modified Jeeps.
We had it done. It's much improved. We had the same symptoms as you in our stock Jeep. When we had problems with the First (selling) dealer, JeepCares referred me to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Cares. They were very helpful. The second dealer did a good job.

Take the TSB to the dealer when you request this service. I found that the process was more restrictive than the TSB implies. In Canada I had to make an appointment to have the dealer inspect the Jeep to see if the work should be done. The first Dealer didn't take a proper test drive. They drove for 6minutes on smooth city roads at low speed. Like the test drive they want you to take when you buy the Jeep!

I read every post. I tried everything. Reduced tire pressure. Tighten loose fittings on the suspension. Pulled fuses. Contemplated adjusting the steering gear myself; but I'm getting old.

Get it done. It's worth it. Find a dealer that will do the work on your modified Jeep.

It's Not a Jeep Thing.

Your Jeep just needs a new steering gear. (used to call it a Steering Box, or a Pitman Box).

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Since we had installed a RockKrawler longarm 3.5" lift with 35" tires, we've had bad death wobble on our 2019 JLRU. Can't hardly drive it over 35mph. It's 1.5 years old and has 5k miles on it. We tried adding steersmarts yeti steering tie-rod and drag-link but that didn't fix it. Steersmarts tech supp told me about the TSB. Said that they'd done lots of testing and non-flexing steerbox and different alignment would probably fix wobble if knuckles not bad.. Talked to local dealer parts guy, he got in a new steer box kit for us.
However, when we took it in for the steer box swap, the service dept says because TSB specifically says it doesn't fix death wobble, they won't cover it under warranty.
When I asked how much just to get it done, they quoted labor & parts at $1,700!!!
Anyone know of a good aftermarket steer box? Had our jeep towed to dealership where it's been sitting since mid last week. I need to get it back on the road. My jeep has been the biggest heap of junk that I've ever loved (when it works)!
Isn't "Death Wobble" usually the track bar?

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Agree with Rdmitch, if you do not have a black cast box and yours is silver the TSB applies to your vehicle. Contact JeepCares if this is the case.
How do contact Jeep Cares?

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Agree with Rdmitch, if you do not have a black cast box and yours is silver the TSB applies to your vehicle. Contact JeepCares if this is the case.
Jeep Customer Assistance Center is at the below phone number.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering Service Bulletin Denied - Advice Please 1601995956837

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
call me dumb. But i never saw what TSB stands for. My 19 sahara wonders all over the highway at freeway speed and generally pulls left, plenty of play in the wheel. No deathwobble or anything like that. Lifted MC 3.5 and 37s. I have the synergy brace in hand but have not installed it yet plan to this next weekend. Will dealer replace my sterring box? Should it help? (Insert mind blown emoji)
I’d try to get the steering box done before the brace. My dealer didn’t give me a hard time about the lift and tires. They gave me a hard time because of the brace. Ended up taking most of it off in order to limit it to just the original 4 bolts on the box. I’ll see what they say today when I go by to see if it’s good enough for them.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I’d try to get the steering box done before the brace. My dealer didn’t give me a hard time about the lift and tires. They gave me a hard time because of the brace. Ended up taking most of it off in order to limit it to just the original 4 bolts on the box. I’ll see what they say today when I go by to see if it’s good enough for them.
This is same experience I had. I just took the brace off and they were fine with everything else.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MMalone

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
I ended up calling FCA but my vehicle is a 2018 jeep Wrangler JL ruby and I have had the issue since I bought the vehicle and there’s been a case open for the last two years. I have put my own money into it trying to solve the problem and if it wasn’t for jeep wrangler forums I would’ve never known about the TSB. I called FCA and complained that I was never notified and they apologized and said that I should’ve received something because my jeep is part of this. I will say that when I called the dealership they try to say that it was just a software update for the steering gear. I will not stop until they fix it right and if I was you I would call FCA directly and open up a case that should get the ball rolling good lucI will not stop until they fix it right and if I was you I would call FCA directly and open up a case that should get the ball rolling.
Yes cases has been opened and with 2nd call to complain about having to wait since I complained 2 days after taking delivery, as per FCA cases has been updated. Means 2 month wait vs 3

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
My service advisor gave me the same spin initially. They kept the vehicle 3 days then told me nothing was wrong even after I handed them a hard copy of the TSB. I asked for the GM and Service Manager then miraculously problem solved. It takes a while to get the steering gear - Long Beach, CA dealer is getting one every 10 days and they have a ton of Wrangler owners in looking for this repair. Just be patient but persistent along with polite and they likely will repair. So glad owners are saying this is a real fix. Mine goes back in tomorrow - I’ll follow up after test driving.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
TSB is a technical service bulletin put out by FCA.
It's not a recall.
There are other posts...some other people have had the steering gear replaced in their modified Jeeps.
We had it done. It's much improved. We had the same symptoms as you in our stock Jeep. When we had problems with the First (selling) dealer, JeepCares referred me to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Cares. They were very helpful. The second dealer did a good job.

Take the TSB to the dealer when you request this service. I found that the process was more restrictive than the TSB implies. In Canada I had to make an appointment to have the dealer inspect the Jeep to see if the work should be done. The first Dealer didn't take a proper test drive. They drove for 6minutes on smooth city roads at low speed. Like the test drive they want you to take when you buy the Jeep!

I read every post. I tried everything. Reduced tire pressure. Tighten loose fittings on the suspension. Pulled fuses. Contemplated adjusting the steering gear myself; but I'm getting old.

Get it done. It's worth it. Find a dealer that will do the work on your modified Jeep.

It's Not a Jeep Thing.

Your Jeep just needs a new steering gear. (used to call it a Steering Box, or a Pitman Box).
Agreed!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t take my brace completely off. My drag link is mounted to it. So see what they say.
You left the sector shaft portion intact?

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I'm sorry if you think we get paid too much but then I assume you do all of your own repairs, services, and are up-to-date on all current systems. Have all the required tools, computers/scanners, lifts, insurance, electricity, and that you have taken and maintain all of the appropriate ASE certification. Plus add the fact the most techs are working on vehicles from a extremely wide selection of manufacturers and have the learned knowledge from that. But then again nobody really drives anywhere, no one uses there car to transport important things, your family, yourself. So yeah fuck them the world would be a better place without auto mechanics, hell lets just throw trashmen, clerks, janitors, bus drivers, ect....
Its dealerships who see high profit on repairs, mechanics just get crums.
At $50 an hour labor charge mechanics can still get paid the same and dealers still will have some profit.
Same goes for auto body repair... I get my auto body work done at 1/2 the rate that others pay walking in, and shop still make money.
Sponsored