First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
400 miles this weekend on highway, with 10 miles of trails in the middle and it drove better than it ever has -- with the steering TSB.

On the highway at 75 to 80 mph it was straight as an arrow and no driver fatigue keep the brick pointed in the right direction and in the lane.

Was also surprisingly better off-road as well which I did not expect. Did a gnarly couple trails and it definitely was tracking better.

Mods:

- Full synergy steering setup
- Synergy front/rear track bars
- FOX 2.0 ATS stabilizer
- Rusty track brace
- Synergy rear track brace
- 315 KO2's on factory Rubi rims
- 2.5" lift (RK - springs, arms)
- Fox 2.5 shocks
Sponsored

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU Rubicon X, 19 JLU Rubicon, 23 JL392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Any of you guys that had the TSB done have a steering/track bar brace (mine's from Synergy)? If so, did you take it off before visiting the dealership?

AuburnRubicon

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theandypalys.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Professional User of Common Sense
It sounds like you have a winner of a dealer like me. Mine said the TSB "wasn't needed," and said "That is typical for a lifted Jeep on big tires." I asked if they drove it, and was told, "No, that wasn't necessary."

I have now been told by 3 dealerships that "it's a Jeep thing."

Next up, @JeepCares!

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
Has any one had issues at dealer with a new 2020 JL taken in for the Steering SB. Stopped by dealer guessing to make an appointment based on limited supply of the SB parts but they informed They had the parts and could get me in now during lunch time.. I had advise sales and service the play in steering after 1 day of ownership. Service Tech began to load my information into the work order, name, VIN and Turned to Me and told me my VIN # was NOT Applicable. His manger walked by and he told his manager and manger advised Tech To inform me there was nothing they could do. VIN NOT APPLICABLE to Service Bullentin. Any advice or similar situations. Contacted Jeep Cares and was advised to be careful of what I read on the internet. I told her I had the SB from them in front of me. Was then advised to take in, let a Tech drive to confirm if an issue or normal JEEP characteristic. it might be covered under Warrenty, told here never had I driven a vehicle that had 1-1.5 inch play at speeds over 60mph. Any advice
I ended up calling FCA but my vehicle is a 2018 jeep Wrangler JL ruby and I have had the issue since I bought the vehicle and there’s been a case open for the last two years. I have put my own money into it trying to solve the problem and if it wasn’t for jeep wrangler forums I would’ve never known about the TSB. I called FCA and complained that I was never notified and they apologized and said that I should’ve received something because my jeep is part of this. I will say that when I called the dealership they try to say that it was just a software update for the steering gear. I will not stop until they fix it right and if I was you I would call FCA directly and open up a case that should get the ball rolling good lucI will not stop until they fix it right and if I was you I would call FCA directly and open up a case that should get the ball rolling.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Any of you guys that had the TSB done have a steering/track bar brace (mine's from Synergy)? If so, did you take it off before visiting the dealership?
i have the synergy brace and the dealer reinstalled it after they did the tsb.
the dealer never heard of the sector brace before and he was a bit scared about it when i first told him it was on the jeep. Once we crawled under and he saw what it was he said it’s no big deal and they popped it back on .

Now the issue is Synergy is sending me a new saddle or whatever you call it that fits on the pitman nut. this new one lines up better and has 2 set screws to help line up the grease port to the bearing. So I will have to take it off myself and replace the part. Seems pretty easy except for getting the flat head screw off the back end of it.

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i have the synergy brace and the dealer reinstalled it after they did the tsb.
the dealer never heard of the sector brace before and he was a bit scared about it when i first told him it was on the jeep. Once we crawled under and he saw what it was he said it’s no big deal and they popped it back on .

Now the issue is Synergy is sending me a new saddle or whatever you call it that fits on the pitman nut. this new one lines up better and has 2 set screws to help line up the grease port to the bearing. So I will have to take it off myself and replace the part. Seems pretty easy except for getting the flat head screw off the back end of it.
This is exactly what I was looking for so thank you very much! I really didn't want to take the brace off before taking the Jeep in. Also, I thought I was the only one with the issue of the brace not taking grease. My steering was squeaking like an old car! I ended up taking out the bushing and manually rotating it to line up with the grease hole.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
This is exactly what I was looking for so thank you very much! I really didn't want to take the brace off before taking the Jeep in. Also, I thought I was the only one with the issue of the brace not taking grease. My steering was squeaking like an old car! I ended up taking out the bushing and manually rotating it to line up with the grease hole.

i sent a note to Synergy asking if there was a replacement and they asked for a picture,of the brace and copy of the receipt. after i sent the info they told me they were sending me the new piece. Others have bitched about Synergy but they seemed very accommodating to me.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Is it those with a silver box no matter what? Mines a 2018 and has always steered great, but will they change it out, or am I also going to need crappy steering too?
If yours has good steering I don't know if I'd let them touch it. I've seen some post that the new box didn't help their poor steering or made it worse. You could end up with a problem you didn't have. I have an 18 JLUR that has no issues. I'm not taking it in unless they issue a safety recall. Then I'll do it for liability reasons.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 Rubicon was stock except for the bumpers and winch. It is still under warranty by half a year and had less than 4,000 miles on it. My Jeep dealer said, “no” twice. Once before the TSB, once after. I took the Jeep to my SRT dealer who (get this) ASKED PERMISSION to make it steer right. They put a steering box in it, aligned it and verified everything tight. They drove it and then asked me to confirm the steering is good. Night and day.

TLDR: Go to a different dealer. Some are either incompetent or incapable and neither affliction will solve your problem......

Sponsored

RancherRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My question is, a lot of people install a lift and bigger tires. It seems like a dealer could easily say that was the problem and not want to fix anything. Anyone with lifted Jeeps get a new steering box?
Since we had installed a RockKrawler longarm 3.5" lift with 35" tires, we've had bad death wobble on our 2019 JLRU. Can't hardly drive it over 35mph. It's 1.5 years old and has 5k miles on it. We tried adding steersmarts yeti steering tie-rod and drag-link but that didn't fix it. Steersmarts tech supp told me about the TSB. Said that they'd done lots of testing and non-flexing steerbox and different alignment would probably fix wobble if knuckles not bad.. Talked to local dealer parts guy, he got in a new steer box kit for us.
However, when we took it in for the steer box swap, the service dept says because TSB specifically says it doesn't fix death wobble, they won't cover it under warranty.
When I asked how much just to get it done, they quoted labor & parts at $1,700!!!
Anyone know of a good aftermarket steer box? Had our jeep towed to dealership where it's been sitting since mid last week. I need to get it back on the road. My jeep has been the biggest heap of junk that I've ever loved (when it works)!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Asked dealer via email to book in to do the TSB.

They said yes, will call to schedule when parts are in.

10 days later called to schedule.

Took mine in with Rusty's brace and they would not do the TSB.

Told me to take brace off and bring it back, and they kept the parts on hold for me. The Service manager joked "those parts are impossible to get so we'll keep your name on them...."

Brought back in without brace and they installed it.

Then went home and re-installed the brace ;)

Not upset, understand the liability to do work that is directly touching something 3rd party.

So your mileage may vary here as to the dealership and experience with 3rd party parts.

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
It sounds like you have a winner of a dealer like me. Mine said the TSB "wasn't needed," and said "That is typical for a lifted Jeep on big tires." I asked if they drove it, and was told, "No, that wasn't necessary."

I have now been told by 3 dealerships that "it's a Jeep thing."

Next up, @JeepCares!
Drive down to Alexander City, Bice will fix you up. They took care of mine... lifted on 38's... but it will cost you a couple of boxes of doughnuts...

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
My question is, a lot of people install a lift and bigger tires. It seems like a dealer could easily say that was the problem and not want to fix anything. Anyone with lifted Jeeps get a new steering box?
Lots of people, me included... if you get down to the issues forums and read some of the posts, there's a large number of lifted, big tire folks getting the boxes done without pushback from the dealer...

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Asked dealer via email to book in to do the TSB.

They said yes, will call to schedule when parts are in.

10 days later called to schedule.

Took mine in with Rusty's brace and they would not do the TSB.

Told me to take brace off and bring it back, and they kept the parts on hold for me. The Service manager joked "those parts are impossible to get so we'll keep your name on them...."

Brought back in without brace and they installed it.

Then went home and re-installed the brace ;)

Not upset, understand the liability to do work that is directly touching something 3rd party.

So your mileage may vary here as to the dealership and experience with 3rd party parts.
Thanks! Good to know! I'm going to chance it and take it in with the brace on. Worst case, I'll do what you did. Fingers crossed!
Sponsored