First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
That's because the dealership hoses the consumer on billable hours. It's totally obscene to charge people $90 or more per hour of labor. Are these technicians getting doctorates they need to pay for or something? I know how these places work as a roommate of mine was a mechanic for BMW Motorcycles. Of course Jeep Corporate is going to pay a more realistic rate. The dealership is not losing a single dime on that, they're probably just not making extra cash...maybe.
Billable rate has very little to do with what they pay a mechanic. A dealer (or any service organization) has to take all monthly or yearly costs inclusive of wages, taxes, benefits, rent, heat, shop supplies, gas, power, secretarial, service writer costs, insurances, etc plus a fair mark up and determine what it costs to be in business and then divide that by total tech man hours worked each month to come up with an hourly rate that covers ALL the associated costs.

i bill out $110.00 per hour for HVAC techs, Elevator techs are over $150.00/hr, you doctor and lawyer are far above that and it has little to do with the actual hourly wage paid to the tech.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MMalone

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
She’s right.
This is possible.
Mine was early build with Alum.
Went back in this AM, with TSB in hand again, and spoke with my Dealer Rep and Service, they looked at the Jeep, 2.5hrs and agreed to perform the TSB... 2 months from now when they can get the parts...

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I have a late build, 7/2020. I had the alumium box and wondering steering. I complained the next day after picking it up. My dealer was fantastic. No hazel what so ever. Let me use a new jeep while the repairs were being completed. Now it steers like a car. Fight for this steering box upgrade. It is worth it.

Papa John

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Has any one had issues at dealer with a new 2020 JL taken in for the Steering SB. Stopped by dealer guessing to make an appointment based on limited supply of the SB parts but they informed They had the parts and could get me in now during lunch time.. I had advise sales and service the play in steering after 1 day of ownership. Service Tech began to load my information into the work order, name, VIN and Turned to Me and told me my VIN # was NOT Applicable. His manger walked by and he told his manager and manger advised Tech To inform me there was nothing they could do. VIN NOT APPLICABLE to Service Bullentin. Any advice or similar situations. Contacted Jeep Cares and was advised to be careful of what I read on the internet. I told her I had the SB from them in front of me. Was then advised to take in, let a Tech drive to confirm if an issue or normal JEEP characteristic. it might be covered under Warrenty, told here never had I driven a vehicle that had 1-1.5 inch play at speeds over 60mph. Any advice

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine was early build with Alum.
Went back in this AM, with TSB in hand again, and spoke with my Dealer Rep and Service, they looked at the Jeep, 2.5hrs and agreed to perform the TSB... 2 months from now when they can get the parts...
The dealer that sold our JLU did the same thing.

Hind sight: They took it out for a test drive. 6 minutes. smooth roads. low speed. They should have taken it out on the highway.

Second dealer installed the new steering box. it's much better than before.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That's because the dealership hoses the consumer on billable hours. It's totally obscene to charge people $90 or more per hour of labor. Are these technicians getting doctorates they need to pay for or something?
Have you seen what Snap On charges for tool boxes these days?

lol jk :D

The dealers are probably not paying the mechanics much compared to what they charge you.

Dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sahara 4” Zone lift
My local dealer wouldn’t do anything without driving it and confirming. I called to schedule it with excitement to finally fix the biggest complaint we have with the JLU. My worry is with the cooler temps it has less play than it did this summer.
So rather than take missed time from work, we are pausing on what to do. As soon as it gets hot outside it becomes obvious. Literally have zero reaction from the steering wheel off center both ways. Lots of fun when passing a semi at 70 mph. We have three Jeeps and my old beater YJ project is more responsive at 70 than the JLU. To me it shouldn’t even be a question for repair. Our schedules are busy like everyone else’s and it’s not so easy taking it in and waiting in the service lanes just to let someone else determine if we are being honest.
We bought the Jeep last year with 5200 miles and it death wobbled on the way home. Twice. They replaced the stabilizer with a Fox. We then had the dealer install a Mopar lift and I complained then that it wandered (pre and post lift- no change). When the lift was installed the tech replaced the trac bar. Obviously I’ve waited to see if a real fix came out. I suppose I’ll try in the spring rather than risk them telling me it’s normal and closing the door on future consideration.

Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
My local dealer wouldn’t do anything without driving it and confirming. I called to schedule it with excitement to finally fix the biggest complaint we have with the JLU. My worry is with the cooler temps it has less play than it did this summer.
So rather than take missed time from work, we are pausing on what to do. As soon as it gets hot outside it becomes obvious. Literally have zero reaction from the steering wheel off center both ways. Lots of fun when passing a semi at 70 mph. We have three Jeeps and my old beater YJ project is more responsive at 70 than the JLU. To me it shouldn’t even be a question for repair. Our schedules are busy like everyone else’s and it’s not so easy taking it in and waiting in the service lanes just to let someone else determine if we are being honest.
We bought the Jeep last year with 5200 miles and it death wobbled on the way home. Twice. They replaced the stabilizer with a Fox. We then had the dealer install a Mopar lift and I complained then that it wandered (pre and post lift- no change). When the lift was installed the tech replaced the trac bar. Obviously I’ve waited to see if a real fix came out. I suppose I’ll try in the spring rather than risk them telling me it’s normal and closing the door on future consideration.
I wouldn't worry about waiting for a hot day. You shouldn't have to prove anything. TSB states "If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure." No diagnosis is actually necessary.

However, my dealer also insisted to do a diagnosis before repair. I reported wander was present after driving an hour or more on the freeway and on hot days. So I took it in early last Saturday morning (during cool temps) for diagnosis. After waiting about an hour, service tech confirmed bad steering box and parts are to be ordered. Now I'm waiting for parts to arrive.

Funny thing is, the odometer read the exact same mileage when I drove away as to when I brought it in. No road test was ever performed during my diagnosis.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You were better off than we were.
We took the TSB in and told them how it applied. Left the Jeep all day. End of the day they said no to doing the work.

we had words and left.

at home we took the card from the dash cam. 6 minute drive. Parking lot. City roads that were smooth with no traffic. Low speed. Very safe, to prevent insurance claims

Complained to FCA Jeep and they helped.
FCA Canada said an inspection was necessary and the parts requisition must be approved by the Service Manager. Then parts were ordered and they have been installed
The second dealer was polite skilled and helpful.

soringorgan

First Name
Sorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Yes, it does, I had mine done last week, I don't see any improvements and I am scheduled for a check this week. Hopefully, they just missed some think.

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
My question is, a lot of people install a lift and bigger tires. It seems like a dealer could easily say that was the problem and not want to fix anything. Anyone with lifted Jeeps get a new steering box?
Sponsored