Steering Service Bulletin Denied - Advice Please

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Again don't understand why these dealerships are making this so hard. They get billable hours to do this work. It makes hard-won customers happy - which means REPEAT customers. This is why the limit on parts that can be ordered to make sure they get spread around.
This TSB credits the dealership with less hours than it actually takes to swap the box and Jeep corporate has a much lower per hour labor reimbursement than the dealer charges for retail repair. Bottom line, the dealership is taking a billable tech offline for unprofitable work. This is one reason why the people in CA and NY are having the hardest time on this TSB as their retail labor rate to corporate billable rate have the largest spread.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MMalone

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
I have an appointment to get mine fixed next week. When I called to schedule, I was advised that I had to bring it in first to have it evaluated. I then explained that the TSB specifically says that if the customer complains of wander or pulling, they are supposed to just perform the service. The service advisor then read the TSB and agreed with me. Not sure if it will help you, but you have nothing to lose quoting the language of the TSB and/or giving them a copy. And, by the way, the first thing the service advisor said to me was that I cannot believe everything I read on a Jeep forum. In turn, I asked if I can believe what the actual TSB says.
Hell not only did i read it to them... i showed them i had it in my hand

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
This TSB credits the dealership with less hours than it actually takes to swap the box and Jeep corporate has a much lower per hour labor reimbursement than the dealer charges for retail repair. Bottom line, the dealership is taking a billable tech offline for unprofitable work. This is one reason why the people in CA and NY are having the hardest time on this TSB as their retail labor rate to corporate billable rate have the largest spread.
This makes sense if they have enough retail paying work to keep the bays full but many service dealerships are hurting for work as with COVID shutdowns people are not driving as much so therefore less service work needing to be done.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I wish they'd just give me the parts, I'll do the work. The only reason I want the TSB is the "free" steering box, I actually don't want anyone else touching my rig w a wrench.

I understand I'm not living in reality, just venting.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
That's because the dealership hoses the consumer on billable hours. It's totally obscene to charge people $90 or more per hour of labor. Are these technicians getting doctorates they need to pay for or something? I know how these places work as a roommate of mine was a mechanic for BMW Motorcycles. Of course Jeep Corporate is going to pay a more realistic rate. The dealership is not losing a single dime on that, they're probably just not making extra cash...maybe.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 JLU steers “acceptably”, thankfully.

Still, if I got a TSB notice in the mail I’d get it done.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Where is the steering box under the hood? Can you see it without having to remove anything (fenders, battery, etc)?

I'm pretty sure I have the silver one (mine's a '19 JLUR) but I'd like to verify. I am not satisfied with the steering on this thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm sailing a schooner and not driving a Jeep.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Has any one had issues at dealer with a new 2020 JL taken in for the Steering SB. Stopped by dealer guessing to make an appointment based on limited supply of the SB parts but they informed They had the parts and could get me in now during lunch time.. I had advise sales and service the play in steering after 1 day of ownership. Service Tech began to load my information into the work order, name, VIN and Turned to Me and told me my VIN # was NOT Applicable. His manger walked by and he told his manager and manger advised Tech To inform me there was nothing they could do. VIN NOT APPLICABLE to Service Bullentin. Any advice or similar situations. Contacted Jeep Cares and was advised to be careful of what I read on the internet. I told her I had the SB from them in front of me. Was then advised to take in, let a Tech drive to confirm if an issue or normal JEEP characteristic. it might be covered under Warrenty, told here never had I driven a vehicle that had 1-1.5 inch play at speeds over 60mph. Any advice
Hi there, we are sorry to hear that you are facing difficulty in addressing your steering concern. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may assist in resolving this for you.

Kathryn
JeepCares

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I wish they'd just give me the parts, I'll do the work. The only reason I want the TSB is the "free" steering box, I actually don't want anyone else touching my rig w a wrench.

I understand I'm not living in reality, just venting.
Feel the same way. It took more time to re-adjust all the Synergy steering bits after they monkey with them then it would have taken to put the new steering box in....

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That's because the dealership hoses the consumer on billable hours. It's totally obscene to charge people $90 or more per hour of labor. Are these technicians getting doctorates they need to pay for or something? I know how these places work as a roommate of mine was a mechanic for BMW Motorcycles. Of course Jeep Corporate is going to pay a more realistic rate. The dealership is not losing a single dime on that, they're probably just not making extra cash...maybe.
I'm sorry if you think we get paid too much but then I assume you do all of your own repairs, services, and are up-to-date on all current systems. Have all the required tools, computers/scanners, lifts, insurance, electricity, and that you have taken and maintain all of the appropriate ASE certification. Plus add the fact the most techs are working on vehicles from a extremely wide selection of manufacturers and have the learned knowledge from that. But then again nobody really drives anywhere, no one uses there car to transport important things, your family, yourself. So yeah fuck them the world would be a better place without auto mechanics, hell lets just throw trashmen, clerks, janitors, bus drivers, ect....

Sponsored

OP
OP
MMalone

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Hi there, we are sorry to hear that you are facing difficulty in addressing your steering concern. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may assist in resolving this for you.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Thank you for jumping in.
Just called another Dealer close by and they said to schedule to bring it in so a Tech could drive it and determine IF there was an issue. (who drive the Jeep daily in Florida/ambient Temps) and experiences the excess Play ... ME. If Tech determines if an issue, parts will be ordered against the VIN..

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'm sorry if you think we get paid too much but then I assume you do all of your own repairs, services, and are up-to-date on all current systems. Have all the required tools, computers/scanners, lifts, insurance, electricity, and that you have taken and maintain all of the appropriate ASE certification. Plus add the fact the most techs are working on vehicles from a extremely wide selection of manufacturers and have the learned knowledge from that. But then again nobody really drives anywhere, no one uses there car to transport important things, your family, yourself. So yeah fuck them the world would be a better place without auto mechanics, hell lets just throw trashmen, clerks, janitors, bus drivers, ect....
I totally agree. but the guys at my dealership are definitely not "up to date" they're not even up to date with the amount of oil the JL pentastar takes. What's funny is that my neighborhood mechanic who charges less than half the dealer charges, has all the tools and all and is actually up to date.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I totally agree. but the guys at my dealership are definitely not "up to date" they're not even up to date with the amount of oil the JL pentastar takes. What's funny is that my neighborhood mechanic who charges less than half the dealer charges, has all the tools and all and is actually up to date.
.....but doesn't have access to add/remove sales codes.....
Sponsored