Steering Locking up while driving

ashnicole18

First Name
ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So recently i’ve been having issues with my 2018 JL Wrangler. In the morning i’ll be driving to take my daughter to daycare and it’s like my power steering is locking up. I turn to go around a bend and it won’t turn. My jeep is still going straight. I have to jerk it hard for it to finally turn. it’s seems to be getting worse. Has anyone experienced this problem? I know with these models it’s an electric steering. But it’s only doing it in the morning. I almost went into the other lane with oncoming cars. We hooked up a scanner and nothing is coming up. And my battery is not bad.
Sponsored

Beau Nugget

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKUR, 1979 Jeep CJ7, 1975 Bronco
OP
OP

ashnicole18

First Name
ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I see an old thread without any clear resolution: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-rubicon-jl-power-steering-failure.26828/

I'm sure you've heard this already, but you should absolutely stop driving it and tow it to be looked at. You're endangering everyone around you.
Thank you for the response. I am getting so many different things it could be. And really just want it fixed. We flashed the computer and it was still doing it. but only when it’s below 40 in the mornings. I just am trying to get answers to fix it myself. Unfortunately it’s out of warranty and i don’t have the funds to pay a dealer mechanic to fix when i have a heavy equipment husband to fix it for me. he just has never heard of this issue before.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
You should definitely reach out to @JeepCares (doubt it'll accomplish much, but can't hurt) and also ask a dealership what they would charge to diagnose it. And if it's mechanical, not electronic, I'd bet any good mechanic would have ideas on how to fix it.

(Edited to remove some wild optimism.)

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
the TSB should cover it out of warranty too, right?
Not neccessarily, they could authorize it, but might have to pay. Mine got taken care of out of warranty because it already went through 2 other boxes, and they did it out of a “favor” they say, but fca gave me the gearbox

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
the TSB should cover it out of warranty too, right?
I'm in the process of getting my 2018 steering box replaced. It runs out of warranty this month. I took it in last month and they ordered the steering box. It will not be available until after the new year. But the dealer said it would be covered.

I agree with what Moto_21 said. If the dealer service advisor is a good guy and wants to advocate for you, he can. On something as serious as this component, given that it's well publicized on these forums and that Jeep has multiple TSBs and revisions to the steering box out there, FCA would be foolish not to authorize your replacement steering box under warranty, and the service advisor would have to be a small-minded person. But it happens, I'm sure. If it does, try another dealer or contacting Jeep Customer Service. I'm surprised they haven't chimed in here on such an incredibly hazardous condition you're experiencing.

In the meantime, either don't drive it or warm up the engine very well and work the steering system back and forth full throw several times before driving on cold days. The fluid will heat up pretty fast if you really exercise the steering.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I have an '18. I had this issue that was well documented on this forum. It really was an ordeal then. They only replaced the steering gear when I drove straight to the dealer when it was occurring and made a tech drive it with me. Multiple times before they couldn't replicate so nothing was done until this point. Here are two videos that shows what it does.
Please excuse the language on the first one.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So recently i’ve been having issues with my 2018 JL Wrangler. In the morning i’ll be driving to take my daughter to daycare and it’s like my power steering is locking up. I turn to go around a bend and it won’t turn. My jeep is still going straight. I have to jerk it hard for it to finally turn. it’s seems to be getting worse. Has anyone experienced this problem? I know with these models it’s an electric steering. But it’s only doing it in the morning. I almost went into the other lane with oncoming cars. We hooked up a scanner and nothing is coming up. And my battery is not bad.
Just to level set, the steering is electro-hydraulic. That is, it has an electric powered hydraulic pump that provides fluid pressure to assist the steering box. So, the steering box is pretty much of a conventional hydraulic design.

OP
OP

ashnicole18

First Name
ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have an '18. I had this issue that was well documented on this forum. It really was an ordeal then. They only replaced the steering gear when I drove straight to the dealer when it was occurring and made a tech drive it with me. Multiple times before they couldn't replicate so nothing was done until this point. Here are two videos that shows what it does.
Please excuse the language on the first one.

this is me everyday i drive it. cuss words and all! did they end up fixing the issue?