Steering locked up when going around a curve

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Happened to me last weekend, like the power steering stopped 2 times on curves. It was 34degrees out, my JL is a 2018 with 21000 miles.

Has previously had the flash for the steering, and has had the dampener replaced for death wobble issues, but they are coming back!

Like my Jeep, but it’s tough getting this thing in the shop without burning vacation days!
Sponsored

OP
OP
jabber20

jabber20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara - Mojito!
I drove mine the other morning and it was in the low 40’s outside and the steering was really tight until it warmed up, but it was still very bad to the right. Sure hope they figure something out for this soon as my dealership can’t fix it unless you tell them exactly what needs to be fixed!

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I looked back to past forums and found the TSB.

The number is 08-092-18

Group 08- Electrical

July 7 2018

There was also a comment in the forum that if the TSB did not fix the issue, a power steering pump replacement with code AD was the next step.

This is all found in past postings regarding loss of power steering.

OP
OP
jabber20

jabber20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara - Mojito!
I looked back to past forums and found the TSB.

The number is 08-092-18

Group 08- Electrical

July 7 2018

There was also a comment in the forum that if the TSB did not fix the issue, a power steering pump replacement with code AD was the next step.

This is all found in past postings regarding loss of power steering.
wow! Thank you! I’m definitely going to look into this

Sponsored

Jcarrig3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Well add me to the list of people with steering lock up in cold weather. Mine won't turn to the left without significant effort. I have not had mine last more than a few minutes after start up and (thankfully) not while driving.

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I had this happen last winter. Not looking forward to it getting cold as I haven't done anything to possibly fix it and my dealership sucks. If I tell them something is happening I get 'we can't duplicate it's, or 'your suspension is modified so not a warranty issue' because I have a non Mopar lift.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I thought that this issue was fixed with one of the new steering boxes that was put out. I guess not?

Jcarrig3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
My Jeep has a stock suspension so they can't claim that for mine.

I thought that this issue was fixed with one of the new steering boxes that was put out. I guess not?

No clue.. we will see what the dealership says. I will call in the morning.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Happened to me last weekend, like the power steering stopped 2 times on curves. It was 34degrees out, my JL is a 2018 with 21000 miles.

Has previously had the flash for the steering, and has had the dampener replaced for death wobble issues, but they are coming back!

Like my Jeep, but it’s tough getting this thing in the shop without burning vacation days!
Well add me to the list of people with steering lock up in cold weather. Mine won't turn to the left without significant effort. I have not had mine last more than a few minutes after start up and (thankfully) not while driving.
Hi Shawn and Jamie,
We're sorry to learn about your steering concern. If you are considering having out dealer look into this further, please keep us updated. If additional assistance is needed throughout your visit, we're available via PM!
Alex
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

nev-fgt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JK, and 2018 Jeep Jl
So my son was installing the Aux switches in our 2018 JL, gave up when he couldn't get the wires through the firewall on the front right passenger side (had told him not to start it)! When he went to drive the car, the steering was locked up (no power streering at all, almost impossible to move the wheel)! Any suggestions? I looked to see if he had cut a wire or shorted something but can't see anything. Going to have to have the car towed to the dealer to get fixed!

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR, ‘06 LX 100-series
So my son was installing the Aux switches in our 2018 JL, gave up when he couldn't get the wires through the firewall on the front right passenger side (had told him not to start it)! When he went to drive the car, the steering was locked up (no power streering at all, almost impossible to move the wheel)! Any suggestions? I looked to see if he had cut a wire or shorted something but can't see anything. Going to have to have the car towed to the dealer to get fixed!
My suggestion is when you go to the dealer skip the 1st and 4th sentence.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Increasingly the PSC kit is looking appealing to me, I'm simply not convinced they've got this electric-over pump system perfected yet.

I have no doubt eventually most vehicles will use an electric pump in a quest for economy, and I'm fine with new technology - IF IT F'N WORKS!

I'm just not psyched about the $3k price tag for PSC...

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Hi Shawn and Jamie,
We're sorry to learn about your steering concern. If you are considering having out dealer look into this further, please keep us updated. If additional assistance is needed throughout your visit, we're available via PM!
Alex
Jeep Cares
Went to my dealership, they reinstalled the dampener since my wobble returned, but could not address the loss of power steering, they said it needed to be brought in when it was happening!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Went to my dealership, they reinstalled the dampener since my wobble returned, but could not address the loss of power steering, they said it needed to be brought in when it was happening!
When you wind up in the grille of a Peterbilt ask the tow truck driver to take you to the dealer.....
Sponsored