Steering locked up when going around a curve

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Jump on this thread and get your steering box replaced. I just had the dealer replace mine and will be watching for lock-ups this winter. I consistently had lock-ups last winter at speeds 45 and higher...just a slight one when going to the right...on the highway its manageable, but not safe if you're not expecting it.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ved-steering-feel.56363/page-110#post-1287162
Thanks for the advice and agreed replacing the steering box seems to be the best option...especially since my warranty runs out in 1,500 miles. So Iā€™ll get an appointment at the Jeep dealer in Berkeley as required by jeepCare to move forward. Evidently, if the dealer canā€™t replicate, jeepCare will send out there own technician.
Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Does your Jeep wander, have a dead spot, pull to the right or left. If so, then Iā€™d present that first to the dealer for them to replace the box under the TSB.

If you go in a say the steering gets stuck, they wonā€™t replace the box and will just try to troubleshoot everything else.

As long as you get it into service before the warranty runs out they should cover anything related to steering moving forward.

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Does your Jeep wander, have a dead spot, pull to the right or left. If so, then Iā€™d present that first to the dealer for them to replace the box under the TSB.

If you go in a say the steering gets stuck, they wonā€™t replace the box and will just try to troubleshoot everything else.

As long as you get it into service before the warranty runs out they should cover anything related to steering moving forward.
Honestly, none of the above steering issues for the TSB and Iā€™m not going to make it up just to get the steering box replaced-looks like this might be a longer road.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Honestly, none of the above steering issues for the TSB and Iā€™m not going to make it up just to get the steering box replaced-looks like this might be a longer road.
True...hopefully the dealer works with you on this. I know some have had the steering box replaced by reporting stuck steering.

My dealer has been pretty good so far. Replaced the box with no issues and now going to replace the rear diff because of service locker light. If you have a Rubicon make sure that gets checked out before warranty runs out.

Now my steering pump is a bit louder than before, so they are going to look at that when they do the rear diff.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I'll be taking my rig to the dealer soon. I do have a little loose steering so I'll try that route first.

Sponsored

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Jeez, I'm so excited I get to join this club. My 2018 JL started pulling to the right "sometimes" about a year ago. No problem found. Then Saturday morning, temperature at 34 degrees fahrenheit, sun shining and dry roads, I left my driveway and 1/4 mile down the road about 35mph I couldn't turn to the left. Gradual curve, so turning to the right a bit and then back to the left the steering wheel felt like a "smushy" stop and then moved past that and every thing worked normally, for 2 1/2 miles, then it did it again. Appointment at the dealer on the 28th of this month.

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Last month (Oct 20) I posted that my steering would lock up making a left turn. Finally, today, I got my Jeep back. New steering box, and it's like night and day. First it isn't locking up, and second it steers better than it did new. Sad it took this long to get fixed, but at least it's done before winter.

gridsquares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Iā€™ve been working on resolving this issue for quite a long time. I was just about at my 36k miles, noticed the steering box TSB was out, and tried to get in with a local dealer. Because of limited availability during peak covid-19 and a long road trip ahead, I couldnā€™t get in. Needless to say the warranty expired and after some leg work using Jeep Cares, I was able to get it in and diagnosed for a steering box replacement at 37k miles.

Jeep Cares helped expedite the part to the dealer to help me avoid the long waitlist. Once received, I scheduled it for servicing and was at about 41k miles. This was the week leading up to New Years and I dropped it off at 0845 (45 min prior to my appointment) on Tuesday. I understood that it might not be accomplished until the end of Wednesday. Wednesday evening rolled around and when I called for a status update since I hadnā€™t heard anything, I was notified it hadnā€™t even been touched and that it would be ready Thursday before early closure at 1400. It wasnā€™t touched...

I picked it up because clearly the dealer had issues providing the warranty repair. My take was that they wanted the money from paying customers and not the rate they had to charge for warranty work. I made a new appointment to bring it back Monday morning. I dropped it off and around lunchtime received a phone call saying that because I had an aftermarket track bar installed they needed money for additional labor. EXTORTION!

I asked for clarification since I know every aftermarket part on my Jeep - I did the work. The only part I knew would have caused an issue was the Synergy sector shaft brace, which I had removed before my first appointment. This component attached to the steering box/pitman arm.

The dealer called me back with an update that because I had an aftermarket spring installed they would need money to remove it to access the steering box frame bolts. I questioned their intentions since I would expect the removal of the stock spring (or my prior Mopar 2in lift spring). They refused, and knowing more than they do, I refused to pay.

I requested the part that I was rightfully entitled to, but they said they couldnā€™t. So I asked, if I had another dealer request a part transfer if they would - they said yes.

Meanwhile, I had been trying to use Jeep Cares assistance to figure out why the dealer couldnā€™t perform the repair and why I was being extorted. After some waiting, I was told that the dealer reported to FCA that they had already performed the service (what?), and later reported that they did not feel comfortable performing the warranty repair. Red Flag!!

My FCA case advisor suggested I pursue another dealer and restart the process. Iā€™ve tried using another dealer and am on another upward battle. First, since I started a warranty claim with one dealer they could not initiate a warranty on my vehicle. Second, after explaining the process and trying to get my case advisor involved, was told that they would need time investigating my claim. Itā€™s been over a week with no positive indications. My corporate case advisor is now saying that my case will have to be closed out if itā€™s not being actively worked at a dealer.

First word of advice, never go to AutoNation! Iā€™ve had more than one AutoNation dealer perform incorrect service - itā€™s as if they train their technicians to minimum standard. Second, Jeep Cares doesnā€™t care. The people mean well, but they canā€™t execute their duties since higher FCA policies/procedures keep their hands tied. Itā€™s all a facade to protect their legal interests.

If any of YOU actually care about your, your familyā€™s, and the driver next to youā€™s lives, please raise this concern with a formal complaint. Iā€™ve filed my report to the NHTSA.

Sorry for the rant, but education is power and I have my Ph.D. I appreciate reading similar steering issues from those of you. I will keep pressuring the new dealer to accept the warranty repair, but at the end of the day, my Jeep-brand loyalty has been severely diminished. Anyone looking to buy a fatal lemon?

Last edited:

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Iā€™ve been working on resolving this issue for quite a long time. I was just about at my 36k miles, noticed the steering box TSB was out, and tried to get in with a local dealer. Because of limited availability during peak covid-19 and a long road trip ahead, I couldnā€™t get in. Needless to say the warranty expired and after some leg work using Jeep Cares, I was able to get it in and diagnosed for a steering box replacement at 37k miles.

Jeep Cares helped expedite the part to the dealer to help me avoid the long waitlist. Once received, I scheduled it for servicing and was at about 41k miles. This was the week leading up to New Years and I dropped it off at 0845 (45 min prior to my appointment) on Tuesday. I understood that it might not be accomplished until the end of Wednesday. Wednesday evening rolled around and when I called for a status update since I hadnā€™t heard anything, I was notified it hadnā€™t even been touched and that it would be ready Thursday before early closure at 1400. It wasnā€™t touched...

I picked it up because clearly the dealer had issues providing the warranty repair. My take was that they wanted the money from paying customers and not the rate they had to charge for warranty work. I made a new appointment to bring it back Monday morning. I dropped it off and around lunchtime received a phone call saying that because I had an aftermarket track bar installed they needed money for additional labor. EXTORTION!

I asked for clarification since I know every aftermarket part on my Jeep - I did the work. The only part I knew would have caused an issue was the Synergy sector shaft brace, which I had removed before my first appointment. This component attached to the steering box/pitman arm.

The dealer called me back with an update that because I had an aftermarket spring installed they would need money to remove it to access the steering box frame bolts. I questioned their intentions since I would expect the removal of the stock spring (or my prior Mopar 2in lift spring). They refused, and knowing more than they do, I refused to pay.

I requested the part that I was rightfully entitled to, but they said they couldnā€™t. So I asked, if I had another dealer request a part transfer if they would - they said yes.

Meanwhile, I had been trying to use Jeep Cares assistance to figure out why the dealer couldnā€™t perform the repair and why I was being extorted. After some waiting, I was told that the dealer reported to FCA that they had already performed the service (what?), and later reported that they did not feel comfortable performing the warranty repair. Red Flag!!

My FCA case advisor suggested I pursue another dealer and restart the process. Iā€™ve tried using another dealer and am on another upward battle. First, since I started a warranty claim with one dealer they could not initiate a warranty on my vehicle. Second, after explaining the process and trying to get my case advisor involved, was told that they would need time investigating my claim. Itā€™s been over a week with no positive indications. My corporate case advisor is now saying that my case will have to be closed out if itā€™s not being actively worked at a dealer.

First word of advice, never go to AutoNation! Iā€™ve had more than one AutoNation dealer perform incorrect service - itā€™s as if they train their technicians to minimum standard. Second, Jeep Cares doesnā€™t care. The people mean well, but they canā€™t execute their duties since higher FCA policies/procedures keep their hands tied. Itā€™s all a facade to protect their legal interests.

If any of YOU actually care about your, your familyā€™s, and the driver next to youā€™s lives, please raise this concern with a formal complaint. Iā€™ve filed my report to the NHTSA.

Sorry for the rant, but education is power and I have my Ph.D. I appreciate reading similar steering issues from those of you. I will keep pressuring the new dealer to accept the warranty repair, but at the end of the day, my Jeep-brand loyalty has been severely diminished. Anyone looking to buy a fatal lemon?
No thanks. I believe I have purchased my last jeep, even though itā€™s performing well now.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've had a similar experience in regards to rectifying terrible steering. After getting the run around from 3 different dealers, I hired a lawyer. I'll be steering clear of the Jeep brand from now on.

Sponsored

jeremy89

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018

Have the same issue and the dealership is not doing anything since they can't replicate it. The next time it happens could be my last time driving as it could cause an accident. @JeepCares has not helped through this whole process. VERY FRUSTRATING.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I will also STEER clear of Jeep from now on... Iā€™m in the lemon law process already, but before that I was going to get a Jeep for my son, instead I got him a Subaru. Btw, it already has more trouble free miles than my Jeep.

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello everyone --

We are extremely sorry to hear about the experiences you're having with your dealers throughout the repair process so far. If anyone would like us to look into their situations further to assess where we can offer additional support, please send us a private message with your current mileage and VIN.

If you're already working with an assigned case manager and would like us to advocate on your behalf, to ensure steady progress, please send us a message with your Case Number. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope we can make it a more positive Jeep Brand experience moving forward.

Thank you!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

dave327nc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I took my Jeep in to the dealership for the steering Dampner recall, the steering issue and one of the Jeep wave oil changes.

It appears the steering Dampner was installed upside down and they put 6 quarts of oil in... That doesn't leave me very optimistic that the software update they installed actually took care of my steering lock up. I guess the upside is that the shop tech doesn't create the software, so I doubt he screwed that up.

LOL maybe it is something with the ocean blue rubicons, my 2019 JL is the same color and I have just started having steering instability (increasing amplitude of steering feedback) at 50+ mph when changing lanes or following highway turns. As I have investigated I found the CSN V41 was performed before I bought the Jeeep but it was installed backwards!

Did you find out what having the dampner installed upside down causes?

WizzBang

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Wrangler Sport Unlimited
My 2019 JL Sport is having the cold steering sticking issue as well. It started last year and seems to have gotten worse this winter. My warranty expires in March so I'm getting it looked at. I'd like to ride with the technician but not sure if they will let me. Anyone ever tried that? I'll be leaving it overnight with them so they can drive it cold in the morning.
Sponsored