Steering locked up at 70mph.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Outside of getting the steering gearbox replaced per TSB, (new iron box vastly superior to the original aluminum) I have had no steering issues...However, I would MUCH rather have an old style power steering system with a belt driven mechanical pump and ZERO electronics attached to the steering system...Today's vehicles (including our beloved Jeep's) have waaaaaay too many electronic sensors, computers and controls! I am not a betting man but I would bet our Jeep's have more sensors and computers than the first space capsule!

My only service issue so far happened just a couple days after taking delivery and was a dash warning stating 'pull over safely and stop as vehicle would shut down soon'. This turned out to be a loose ground at the ESS relay...Really??
Sponsored

Prumite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Unfortunately, I just saw this thread right after I ordered a new two-door JL Sport this afternoon, and it definitely has me reconsidering my purchase. I am a long-time Jeep owner, but if this steering lock-up is a common issue, then I might just have to cancel it. Do we have any idea of just how widespread this is, and if FCA is even addressing it beyond the previous TSBs (which clearly haven't worked)?
I visited my dealership and spoke to them and the short answer is no. They are looking the other way and letting for the time being and relying only on the TSB only. To make matters worse, The parts are not available. They are on back order for months.

Before my accident, I started to complain about the steering in the beginning of December and at that time they had already been waiting anywhere from 2 to 3 months for steering boxes. Thats when I opened a case with Jeep directly and they were very helpful in the beginning, working to rush me the part. They were not concerned about me operating the vehicle but I would not let anyone else in my family drive it. At the time, it was only the death wobble at certain speeds when hitting a bump. I had NO IDEA and no one warned me at all there were potential steering lock up issues. After my accident, their whole attitude changed.

I would not want to tell you to cancel but if it were me, I would definitely do your homework. My biggest fear is I have a lemon. Even after they fix it, do I trust it? You can survive with all kinds of problems but two things you should never need to worry about are steering and brakes. Everything else can go wrong but those two can kill.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I visited my dealership and spoke to them and the short answer is no. They are looking the other way and letting for the time being and relying only on the TSB only. To make matters worse, The parts are not available. They are on back order for months.

Before my accident, I started to complain about the steering in the beginning of December and at that time they had already been waiting anywhere from 2 to 3 months for steering boxes. Thats when I opened a case with Jeep directly and they were very helpful in the beginning, working to rush me the part. They were not concerned about me operating the vehicle but I would not let anyone else in my family drive it. At the time, it was only the death wobble at certain speeds when hitting a bump. I had NO IDEA and no one warned me at all there were potential steering lock up issues. After my accident, their whole attitude changed.

I would not want to tell you to cancel but if it were me, I would definitely do your homework. My biggest fear is I have a lemon. Even after they fix it, do I trust it? You can survive with all kinds of problems but two things you should never need to worry about are steering and brakes. Everything else can go wrong but those two can kill.
At the very least, you should report this via the NHTSA reporting website. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Unfortunately, I just saw this thread right after I ordered a new two-door JL Sport this afternoon, and it definitely has me reconsidering my purchase. I am a long-time Jeep owner, but if this steering lock-up is a common issue, then I might just have to cancel it. Do we have any idea of just how widespread this is, and if FCA is even addressing it beyond the previous TSBs (which clearly haven't worked)?
It is my understanding that this isn't an issue on 2021's but THAT is from a dealer tech.

Sponsored

jeremy89

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
6th time? What are they doing to the car each time? Did they replace the steering box?
3rd time they replaced the steering dampener, 6th time they are replacing the power steering. All of the other times they didn't replace anything.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh...sorry to hear about everyone's issues with the steering issue, and hope it gets resolved ASAP. I am aware of the TSB # for the steering box, but is there one for the dampener too?

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
The cigarette manufacturers played a similar tune back when they were challenged by the public about the impurities in their products.

William16

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have the same issue with my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. The dealership has put a new gear box, power steering pump, new lines, and had an engineer reset the computer. It only has 40k miles on it and no one can figure it out. The steering tightens up while driving and will kick back in when it goes under 30mph. At times it will kick in when pumping brakes.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I have the same issue with my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. The dealership has put a new gear box, power steering pump, new lines, and had an engineer reset the computer. It only has 40k miles on it and no one can figure it out. The steering tightens up while driving and will kick back in when it goes under 30mph. At times it will kick in when pumping brakes.
Wtf does “had an engineer reset the computer” mean? Hopefully that means updated the PSCM with the most current software.

ducatijosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Tide
I just had this happen on my 2022 Gladiator Rubicon this morning. Was there ever a fix for this? Obviously I already have the steel steering box.

William16

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
They are doing a buyback for my Jeep it is a 2018 JL with 40000 miles. It fell under lemon law. They cannot figure out issue with it. It has been at dealership for 3 and a half months. Good luck

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had the same issue with my 2018 Wrangler. It was fixed the second time I brought it into the dealership as the first dealership did not update the software correctly, at least this is what I was told. They had to clear the computer prior to updating the new software.
Sponsored