Steering issues - what do I look for?

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I see no motive for people to come here, have a problem, seek help, and be met with an attitude like this and have to prove their innocence of being wrong rather than you prove they are guilty of them being wrong.

Some people are not as mechanically inclined and that may be a factor while some may know more than you or I and are seeing what others have done to mitigate the symptoms or they hope the overlooked something. Nobody has to meet your standard. There are people who have legitimate problems and here you sit painting with a broad, unsubstantiated accusation that there is no problem. It’s outlandish.
That's why I said if you need help upgrading something we are all here willing to help.

But all the false pretenses on Wrangler steering has got to go. Its false information.
Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That's why I said if you need help upgrading something we are all here willing to help.

But all the false pretenses on Wrangler steering has got to go. Its false information.
Feel free to judge that it is false for everyone, even long time Jeepers, straight axle drivers, old pitman arm steering gearbox car and truck drivers, & self maintainers who are familiar with the characteristics of driving those vehicles. I doubt they’re all overly critical or flat out wrong that something is off. They need help if they’re asking for it and it would be nice if you’d either help or just not say anything if you have something negative to say.

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Insofar as steering - a JL should steer like the one on the left side of the splitscreen in the vid. If it steers like the JT on the right - you have a tell-tale problem. Like others have properly noted - thoroughly test drive any vehicle until you are satisfied. It seems that some current 2020 builds still have steering problems - so choose very wisely. Go onto the highway. Go over bumps. Etc etc. We by chance lucked out and our JL steers perfect even after constant abuse off-road down heavily rutted and potholed FSRs. Not all have been so lucky unfortunately.

This is so helpful, we pick up our ordered Sahara on Friday and I have told the "closer" that I intend to test drive it (on the freeway) because loose steering is a non starter. Thanks for posting.

2018DeathTrap

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport unlimited
Hello rickinAZ,

Go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (government agency) and search complaints on the steering for the Jeep JL 2018 and newer.

You will find issues such as Steering Locking Up, Death Wobble, Drifting, and turn the wheel but jeep goes straight.
750 + complaints. FCA does nothing to fix, I have had my jeep in several times for this but no help from FCA, They say they cant find any issue.

Buyer Beware!

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
This is so helpful, we pick up our ordered Sahara on Friday and I have told the "closer" that I intend to test drive it (on the freeway) because loose steering is a non starter. Thanks for posting.
Hey hope you get a good copy! We love our Jeep!

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
2019 JLUR custom ordered, 19 mi on the clock at delivery. I've got 8k on it, added a front bumper, winch, skidplates, all at around 5k mi. I've had the steering stabilizer recall done. I've had no real issues in terms of steering. I've had several friends and co-workers buy 2018-2020 JLUR's. Some modded, some stock, all do both suburban sprawl and freeway driving on a daily basis. No complaints or steering issues.

I will say, there was a poll posted here a while back asking about models and steering issues, and if I recall correctly, it seemed that Sport models had a higher occurrence of steering issues of people who responded to the survey (if I recall correctly). Sadly it didn't dig deep into configurations and potential ramifications (weight differences. etc) that could effect that, and it was all small, kind of subjective data- but it was a noticeable trend to the point where myself and a few other forum users noticed it and were discussing it.

My personal opinion: While there are some legit issues with the JL platform, I think there is also a lot of "Sky Is falling" attitude (similar to what you mentioned from the JK Forums) about a lot of this stuff, and with the JL model setting sales records, there are bound to be more and more people who aren't used to the manners of solid axle 4x4's vs. "normal modern cars" who are panicking.

I've said it elsewhere: If I ever have issues, I'll try to get the dealer to fix. If that fails and the issue persists, I know enough 4x4 shops/ people in my area that I can work with to fix it myself. It may cost extra, but I'll have the peace of mind it's done right, with quality parts and I won't have the issue again. I get that it's a $50k vehicle, and Warranty and blah blah blah. But I ultimately bought this thing to do 2 things: Go off roading, and take my family off roading and on road trips. Arguing over warranty and going back and forth to a dealer isn't going to get me any farther or help me accomplish either of those things safer. Likewise, it's pretty much the only platform out there that can do what it does (Don't @ me- FOH with all your "But 4 Runner/ Tacoma/ ZR2/ Bronco/ Cyvbertruck blah blah blah). I like my Jeep, and if I want to keep using it, and have it safely transport my family. then I'm going to do what I need to do to fix it.

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The steering stabilizer recall isn't going to do it a damn thing! I had mine done approximately 11000 miles to go and the wobble is coming back. so I'll be heading to the dealership to have another second piece of junk steering stabilizer put on! You would think when they did a recall they would make the original part that doesn't work just a tad better, not!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
The steering stabilizer recall isn't going to do it a damn thing! I had mine done approximately 11000 miles to go and the wobble is coming back. so I'll be heading to the dealership to have another second piece of junk steering stabilizer put on! You would think when they did a recall they would make the original part that doesn't work just a tad better, not!
Let's see if we can figure this out...

What do you have for tires/size? Tire pressure when warm? Are they balanced correctly? Lifted? Is your alignment up to date? When does wobble occur? Heavy roof rack? (Good reason for the questions, I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers)

If the stabilizer worked initially, I'm wondering what changed.

My advise initially would have been to purchase a FOX ATS stabilizer and foward the receipt to Jeep (I promise a high quality adjustable stabilizer will change everything for you). They would have reimbursed you the full amount.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
As others have mentioned, get it on the highway for a good 5-10 minutes @ 70 mph. You’ll know immediately if there’s a problem. If there is, you’re not obligated to buy it just because you factory ordered it. Once you buy it no dealer will admit there’s a problem and fix it under warranty.

Sponsored

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
Just a curiosity question here because I do not yet have a JL nor have I started my test drive tour. For those who have a "dead spot" or "play" in the steering what does the steering angle display it show when you either bring up the offroad pages on the center big screen or, I suppose, the steering angle display in the driver display?

Just wondering if it shows a steering angle change throughout the dead spot or only "registers" once the wheels actually turn.

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Bone stock, nothing changed from factory. Tire pressure All good
the vehicle was perfect ,zero wobble until I started hitting around the 10,000 mile mark and it progressively got worse and worse ,almost to the point of death wobble. Then they changed the steering stabilizer and it was perfect, nothing else changed. now another ten thousand or so Miles later exact same symptoms and I've read where other people have gone thru two or three of these. so it is what it is .now why the steering stabilizer is failing? There's probably some other component that is off causing the stabilizer to wear. however ,back to my original statement. why wouldn't they just put a beefier, more stable part back on instead of the same piece of junk in the first place?

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
OP here. Unfortunately (in this case) I plan to custom order, so I don't have the flexibility of picking a good-steering one off the lot. Truthfully, what I was really trying to find out is: is this a real thing - as in prevalent? The JK forum is full of sky-is-falling claims about head issues, death wobble, etc... I've experienced none of those, but a newbie might be scared off from buying a JK due to the loud voices of the few.

Is this the case here, or is there REALLY a problem? Maybe I've always been lucky with my JKs????
When NEW, My Rubicon would “wander” a little causing me to adjust my steering about an inch or two back and forth as I headed down a smooth straight section of highway.......I have done NOTHING to the Jeep and I recently did a 2000 mile Hunting trip and I noticed a complete lack of the wandering that I experienced when it was brand new. I can’t explain it. Iam sure it’s not just me “ getting used to it” as On many of the boring miles of the highway I experimented and evaluated this lack of wandering. It’s not just me. It tracks straight and true without my hands on the wheel....and with my Hands on the wheel. My Rubicon drives like a minivan....funny but true....and it’s a compliment to it ride and handling.

My JL is now 2 years and 19 K. I cannot explain why the steering is better now...but it is.
For the record it’s not the tire pressure.....I have constantly run mine between 43-45 PSI.
Tire pressure is NOT the cause of wandering or other steering issues as some people will advise to lower the tire pressure to help the Jeep track straight......and it works...or perhaps it was simply driving it
and “breaking it in” has helped it mitigate the steering issues....and it had nothing to do with the tire pressure at all....who knows ?

But everyone who suggested the test drive has the best advice....use a smooth straight section of expressway....evaluate it....then incorporate some bumps, expansion joints or other road irregularities into your test drive. Trust your feelings.....if you have doubts ask the service manager to drive it with you as passenger.
REMEMBER: if your accustomed to previous models of Jeeps and how they ride.....you may be a little overwhelmed by how good a JL rides and handles.....unlike previous Jeeps this new Jeep drives smooth and handles similar to a mini van. Concentrate on the steering !

Before your JL arrives....do your homework and plan a good test drive route for your Jeep. Don’t wait until it arrives hoping you can evaluate this issue in a few minutes.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

tasteless garbage

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
If they have more than one, drive’em all. The dead spot can vary from acceptable to bad it seems and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. And as you mentioned, check tracking, ease of keeping it between the lines.
drive it like you stole it!!!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Took my 2020 JLUR on the road today. 75mph (legal speed limit in this part of Texas) in a strong wind on bumpy roads. Straight. Did it get blown around a bit? Yep. Not as bad as the semi-trucks though! All good.
Sponsored