Sponsored

Steering issues - what do I look for?

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
1) Buy whopping term life insurance policy.
2) Test drive new Wrangler at 70 mph
3) Glance at the speedometer
4) Look back at road and if you are looking at things that are not on a road, (trees/fences etc) then try a different wrangler
5) if you hear harp music and see that white light tunnel thing, see number 1 again.
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
If you think the steering in the attached video is abnormal or faulty DO NOT BUY A WRANGLER.

If you already own a Wrangler and think the steering in attached video is abnormal or faulty either SELL YOUR WRANGLER - OR STOP THE BITCHING. It's so annoying already.

In fact, my Rubicons' steering in the video is on point. Fine tuned and upgraded with a Fox ATS stabilizer, front/rear track bars, caster, lca's, etc. All while lifted on 35's. **these are considered upgrades.

Folks say they spend tons of money on "fixes" when they are in fact upgrading. There is a huge difference.

The "steering issue" is perception and expectation. Build differences also play a big role. Such as psi, tire size, lift, hard top/soft, roof rack, etc...(all these added weights contribute to body-roll which adds to the "wandering" effect/feeling).

OP, buy the damn thing - you will love it!!

If you need help upgrading some components to get the Jeep to where you like it - most people on this forum are more than willing to help.

Ignore all the nonsense regarding steering. Trust me. Good luck, best wishes.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
If you think the steering in the attached video is abnormal or faulty DO NOT BUY A WRANGLER.

If you already own a Wrangler and think the steering in attached video is abnormal or faulty either SELL YOUR WRANGLER - OR STOP THE BITCHING. It's so annoying already.

In fact, my Rubicons' steering in the video is on point. Fine tuned and upgraded with a Fox ATS stabilizer, front/rear track bars, caster, lca's, etc. All while lifted on 35's. **these are considered upgrades.

Folks say they spend tons of money on "fixes" when they are in fact upgrading. There is a huge difference.

The "steering issue" is perception and expectation. Build differences also play a big role. Such as psi, tire size, lift, hard top/soft, roof rack, etc...(all these added weights contribute to body-roll which adds to the "wandering" effect).

OP, buy the damn thing - you will love it!

If you need help upgrading some components to get the Jeep to where you like it - most people on this forum are more than willing to help.

Ignore all the nonsense regarding steering. Trust me. Good luck, best wishes.

I have this sneaking suspicion youā€™re annoyed.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Btw, my wrangler does not do what is shown in the short video provided above.

My ā€˜20 Sahara is stock except for the addition of 2ā€ Mopar lift, 20ā€ wheels with 35ā€ tires: 9/10. 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME.

I factory ordered mine and test drove it before I accepted delivery. No steering issues as mention previously in this thread.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Btw, my wrangler does not do what is shown in the short video provided above.
Thatā€™s not the worst video of the dead spot.

Mine is better than in the video and drove an absolutely tight 2020 but couldnā€™t come to terms on that one.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Thatā€™s not the worst video of the dead spot.

Mine is better than in the video and drove an absolutely tight 2020 but couldnā€™t come to terms on that one.
That's not a dead spot, the wheels are actually turning. It's how a Jeep handles.

Let's see the vids.

Time for you folks to put your money where your mouth is.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
That's not a dead spot, the wheels are actually turning. It's how a Jeep handles.

Let's see the vids.

No problem. In the house for the day today. I will make a video over the next few days and post it. No problem at all.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Let's see the vids.

I guess thatā€™s your particular vehicles nature then.

Who here is required to meet your standard of substantiating their perceived problem?
Iā€™ll answer that. No one. And you donā€™t have to go out and get video of your Rubicon parked and turning the wheel that much then show us the same while at speed going down the road.

When you turn the steering wheel and the pitman arm doesnā€™t move is not uncommon. How much slack in the sector shaft, electric hydro assist, or whatever causes the delay in input to the steering system from the steering wheel can be a problem.

If you canā€™t handle perceived adversity against a brand or model you happen to own, why waste your time here trying to brow beat people here to stop talking about it? It is a waste of stress on your part (Youā€™re annoyed by your own admission.) so why bother partaking in conversation here that bothers you? Skip over it. Go to the happy place.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP here. Unfortunately (in this case) I plan to custom order, so I don't have the flexibility of picking a good-steering one off the lot. Truthfully, what I was really trying to find out is: is this a real thing - as in prevalent? The JK forum is full of sky-is-falling claims about head issues, death wobble, etc... I've experienced none of those, but a newbie might be scared off from buying a JK due to the loud voices of the few.

Is this the case here, or is there REALLY a problem? Maybe I've always been lucky with my JKs????
I test drove a dozen JLs before buying, a mix of Rubicons and Saharas, 2 and 4 doors, 4 and 6 cylinders: it really is a crapshoot - some have it, some don't; some have it bad, others have a little. On some of them the issue was obvious from the moment the test drive started; on others I had to get on the freeway.

To my knowledge no one has come up with a fix. But there are things we can do to minimize the issue: keep the tires inflated at the recommended pressure, swap the tires, have the dealer do a re-flash; replace the track bar; replace the steering damper, etc. Keep in mind, though, there are things we can do to make it worse, too, like get a shitty lift, get giant tires, etc.

If I were in your shoes, I'd test drive a few, take the worst one and ask yourself "can I live with this?" If the answer is yes, then go ahead and order your Jeep.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Iā€™ll say this, my 2020 had the wobble issue for the first few miles. You could completely tell it was acting off. Then it just corrected and Iā€™m fine. My 2018 had zero issues. So as far as assuming youā€™ll have problems- I wouldnā€™t bank on it.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I have this sneaking suspicion youā€™re annoyed.
Nah he is just a troll and says the exact same thing in every steering thread with ZERO to offer. He got one of the Jeeps that drives fine and has no clue what he is talking about.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I will be test driving a diesel when they come in, but I've never driven a JL, and I'd like to be on the lookout for weird behavior. I've had four JKs (all 2-doors) and they all tracked great. I always check for straight tracking with hands off the wheel, but what other tell-tales are there? Or...is this a very rare issue after all, and I shouldn't worry?
Insofar as steering - a JL should steer like the one on the left side of the splitscreen in the vid. If it steers like the JT on the right - you have a tell-tale problem. Like others have properly noted - thoroughly test drive any vehicle until you are satisfied. It seems that some current 2020 builds still have steering problems - so choose very wisely. Go onto the highway. Go over bumps. Etc etc. We by chance lucked out and our JL steers perfect even after constant abuse off-road down heavily rutted and potholed FSRs. Not all have been so lucky unfortunately.

Last edited:

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Nah he is just a troll and says the exact same thing in every steering thread with ZERO to offer. He got one of the Jeeps that drives fine and has no clue what he is talking about.
That's your evidence? Name calling? Lol....weak.

Start providing some real evidence or get lost.

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That's your evidence? Name calling? Lol....weak.

Start providing some real evidence or get lost.
I see no motive for people to come here, have a problem, seek help, and be met with an attitude like this and have to prove their innocence of being wrong rather than you prove they are guilty of them being wrong.

Some people are not as mechanically inclined and that may be a factor while some may know more than you or I and are seeing what others have done to mitigate the symptoms or they hope the overlooked something. Nobody has to meet your standard. There are people who have legitimate problems and here you sit painting with a broad, unsubstantiated accusation that there is no problem. Itā€™s outlandish.
Sponsored