Sponsored

Steering issues, Jeep doesn’t want to wok on it because Mopar lift is installed.

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
The truth is that dealerships have become so used to the recall/oil change teet over the years that they could not give one damn about customer service. It's literally like walking into the DMV now because you get that same apathetic experience.

Jeep cares is not much better. They may put on a smiley face, but the result is going to be a lot of run around with little results. There are one offs, but this is the norm now in our society.

Sad, but true.
Just got a call from Jeep cares and asked, did they resolve your issue. I was like no, they told me to come pick up my vehicle. They said, well engineering said there was no issue. I said that's because that's what the dealership told them. They advised me to take it to another dealership and they will note the case that the issue is still not resolved.
Sponsored

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a call from Jeep cares and asked, did they resolve your issue. I was like no, they told me to come pick up my vehicle. They said, well engineering said there was no issue. I said that's because that's what the dealership told them. They advised me to take it to another dealership and they will note the case that the issue is still not resolved.
I sincerely hope that they get it worked out for you!

Jeep-zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Wow. This thread went dark fast. I have a 2" Mopar lift. The steering on the highway was dangerous. I was bouncing in and out of the lane. I had all the hallmarks of a drunk diver even though I was stone cold sober.

I found an aftermarket steering stabilizer. It cost $200 with installation. Problem solved.

Frankly, selling a lift kit without a beefed up stabilizer should be criminal, It's very dangerous. The stock steering stabilizer is downright decorative, maybe even unnecessary on a stock Jeep, but once you lift your Jeep it becomes a matter of life and death.

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Wow. This thread went dark fast. I have a 2" Mopar lift. The steering on the highway was dangerous. I was bouncing in and out of the lane. I had all the hallmarks of a drunk diver even though I was stone cold sober.

I found an aftermarket steering stabilizer. It cost $200 with installation. Problem solved.

Frankly, selling a lift kit without a beefed up stabilizer should be criminal, It's very dangerous. The stock steering stabilizer is downright decorative, maybe even unnecessary on a stock Jeep, but once you lift your Jeep it becomes a matter of life and death.
Honestly it shouldn't need this, but I ordered the fox one and it should be here next month. I tightened my ball joints which were pretty loose. You may want to check this also.

Jeep-zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Honestly it shouldn't need this, but I ordered the fox one and it should be here next month. I tightened my ball joints which were pretty loose. You may want to check this also.
I think you'll be pleased with the Fox stabilizer. It gets good reviews as does the double stabilizer from Rough Country. My JL has 20" wheels and 37" tires. It went from white-knuckled terror to casual one-handed driving.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Aww
Brand new Rubicon (900 miles) is at the dealership to hopefully perform steering TSB and fix the flighty/ loose steering. Service manager comes out and states they cannot do it if Vin says it doesn’t need it. Reached out to @JeepCares and told me to take it back to the dealership. Service manager states, well I don’t know what you want us to do, we can look at it, but if Jeep doesn’t tell us to do anything we won’t do it. Then proceeds to tell me that the Mopar lift installed is not part of the warranty and they consider it aftermarket and don’t have to perform any service on the steering issues. I sent a message to @JeepCares to call me to discuss this, they said that they would have a tech call the dealership. They arenot familiar with the Mopar kit and it should state that any performance parts are not covered over warranty. I’m pretty upset that I bought a 56k Rubicon that is screwy all over the road before I even installed the lift btw, and then add a $1400 MOPAR lift kit that I only bought because it was supposed to stay within warranties and Jeep doesn’t want to support a problem that many are having. All I asked them to do is install the freaking update for the steering motor. I am hoping this will solve the problem. Dealership calls today and says can we have your Jeep one more day? Jeep told us if we don’t find a problem, don’t do anything.......hmmm I wonder what they are going to tell Jeep? So far very unsatisfied with Jeep and @JeepCares who seems to be so helpful with others in this forum. Apparently they do not back their Mopar performance parts, even though they say they do.......oh and btw, I didn’t ask for anything to be looked at regarding the Mopar lift!
that's why I bought a special policy from auto nation the dealership I bought it at. It says in writing no matter what breaks because if the lift it's covered. No matter what and it's in writing.

DanB

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Commodities trading
This is what you need to be looking at.

Mopar warranties.

Performance parts - https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/content/store/pim/details/Performance_Warranty.pdf
General parts warranty - https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/content/store/pim/details/warranty.pdf

If the kit part number starts with a P there is no warranty.

Assuming your kit is considered a "do it yourself" part and is warrantied... You installed the lift which will make it harder to get it warrantied but does not void the warranty. In order to void the warranty it would have to be proven you screwed up the install and that is causing the issue.

Here is what I would do before taking in to another dealer. Inspect everything you touched, compare to the instructions, and nut & bolt everything. Assuming everything checks out if it gets denied again have the dealer provide in writing the reason. They cannot just say "denied" and walk away. You may have to fight them but they do have to provide a reason.

Yes this is a different company but the process is the same. Subaru SPT exhaust bolt breaks at 18K miles, dealer says "aftermarket" not warrantied, and wants to charge me $250 (yeah crazy right) to "re-align" exhaust and replace bolt. I argue it is a covered item, they go to Subaru and provide false info by simply saying "not stock exhaust" omitting that it is a SPT part. I ask for denial reason in writing and once I get it go directly to Subaru. Subaru informs the dealer it is a covered item and the dealer has to perform the work. Of course now the dealer only gets paid book which is a LOT less.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Brand new Rubicon (900 miles) is at the dealership to hopefully perform steering TSB and fix the flighty/ loose steering. Service manager comes out and states they cannot do it if Vin says it doesn’t need it. Reached out to @JeepCares and told me to take it back to the dealership. Service manager states, well I don’t know what you want us to do, we can look at it, but if Jeep doesn’t tell us to do anything we won’t do it. Then proceeds to tell me that the Mopar lift installed is not part of the warranty and they consider it aftermarket and don’t have to perform any service on the steering issues. I sent a message to @JeepCares to call me to discuss this, they said that they would have a tech call the dealership. They arenot familiar with the Mopar kit and it should state that any performance parts are not covered over warranty. I’m pretty upset that I bought a 56k Rubicon that is screwy all over the road before I even installed the lift btw, and then add a $1400 MOPAR lift kit that I only bought because it was supposed to stay within warranties and Jeep doesn’t want to support a problem that many are having. All I asked them to do is install the freaking update for the steering motor. I am hoping this will solve the problem. Dealership calls today and says can we have your Jeep one more day? Jeep told us if we don’t find a problem, don’t do anything.......hmmm I wonder what they are going to tell Jeep? So far very unsatisfied with Jeep and @JeepCares who seems to be so helpful with others in this forum. Apparently they do not back their Mopar performance parts, even though they say they do.......oh and btw, I didn’t ask for anything to be looked at regarding the Mopar lift!
Hi, don’t know if you’ll get this because the way that I am responding, but here’s what I have to say. I ordered a JLUR in February 2018 and received it in April 2018. Picked it up from the dealership trailered it home because it was about 500 miles away in the next day put on everything that I’ve had for the vehicle. Dual exhaust, 2” Mopar lift, 315/70/17, and third brake light . I did everything myself and when it came time to replace the isolator because Mopar screwed up I took it to the dealer they installed it not cost me a dime and they updated the recall, it was for the cruise control. Even ordered me a new harness for the third brake light because I got the one that sits inside the wheel, it broke when I installed it.

Take your car to another dealer! It has to do with the dealer....By the way, they cannot void your warranty because of any aftermarket part.

They did everything under warranty and had no problem helping me.

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm saying to myself.... if the guy bought a new vehicle and could tell the steering was a muck, why in the world would he install a lift.
You know installing a lift would just give the dealer / FCA ammunition for their gun so to speak, when it came to getting the steering issue pursued.

Hope this thread is a wake up call to other guys and gals that are considering lift and other similar modifications on their JL/JLU if they think it has steering issues.

To the OP.... Try another dealership's service department. You may in the end find yourself removing the lift temporarily.

I'm saying to myself.... if the guy bought a new vehicle and could tell the steering was a muck, why in the world would he install a lift.
You know installing a lift would just give the dealer / FCA ammunition for their gun so to speak, when it came to getting the steering issue pursued.

Hope this thread is a wake up call to other guys and gals that are considering lift and other similar modifications on their JL/JLU if they think it has steering issues.

To the OP.... Try another dealership's service department. You may in the end find yourself removing the lift temporarily.

Thank goodness someone finally pointed out this issue!
To the OP... you have a brand spanking new, redesigned vehicle. If you are having ANY issues at all, BRING IT BACK to your dealership!
Do not make mods first, then bring it back and try to make a warranty claim. I apologize but this needs to be said. That was a really dumb decision!
Would you also add a couple of stories onto the Leaning Tower of Pisa? Then get upset that it leans more?

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Thank goodness someone finally pointed out this issue!
To the OP... you have a brand spanking new, redesigned vehicle. If you are having ANY issues at all, BRING IT BACK to your dealership!
Do not make mods first, then bring it back and try to make a warranty claim. I apologize but this needs to be said. That was a really dumb decision!
Would you also add a couple of stories onto the Leaning Tower of Pisa? Then get upset that it leans more?
I didn't really think it was an issue until I started reading these forums. I thought that's just the way it was. Then I started seeing everyone was having the issue and that a TSB improved it. Also believed that installing a Mopar product wouldn't affect the warranty in any way. I'm glad you took the time to post a negative "dumb" response. If it isn't contructive, why say it? But whatever.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

A stabilizer only masks the problem. If you want to see if your Jeep has steering issues, remove the stabilizer completely. If your steering is good, you should have no ill effects.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I didn't really think it was an issue until I started reading these forums. I thought that's just the way it was. Then I started seeing everyone was having the issue. . .
Everyone isn't having the issue. A few are, and the negatives dominate the airplay on any internet automotive forum. But don't worry; the sky isn't falling and the end isn't near. :flag:

VenturePoe

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Now you see, this is the BS that people keep spreading. STOP SPREADING BULLSH!T PLEASE.

I said in the other thread in regards to the intake. THE FACT THAT MOPAR SELLS IT MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR WARRANTY. THE FACT THAT A DEALER INSTALLED IT MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR WARRANTY.

FCA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A DEALERSHIP. THEY ARE AN INDEPENDENT BUSINESS, JUST LIKE A LOCAL MECHANIC.

IF YOUR MODIFICATION CAN BE BLAMED FOR AN ISSUE, IT WILL BE, AND FCA (or any other auto company) WILL DENY THAT CLAIM. YOU CAN SUE THEM IF YOU WANT, BUT THE UPHILL BATTLE IS YOURS. IT IS IRRELEVANT WHO INSTALLED IT, OR WHAT WAS INSTALLED. IF IT DIDN'T ROLL OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE WITH IT ON, IT IS NOT COVERED, AND NEITHER ARE ANY ISSUES THAT CAN BE BLAMED ON IT.

OP, take off your lift, and handle the issue with another dealer. This is like being a gun owner....if you are going to modify your jeep, learn how to deal with dealers in regards to issues and your aftermarket parts.

Sorry for the rant, but it's stuff like this that gets people in trouble, and gets their vehicles flagged (yes this is a thing.) Hopefully, the OPs ride wasn't flagged and a new dealer won't know what's going on.
Sounds like an aftermarket shop to me...

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
A stabilizer only masks the problem. If you want to see if your Jeep has steering issues, remove the stabilizer completely. If your steering is good, you should have no ill effects.
I installed the Mopar 2" lift and had no problems, in fact it rides better. If it only started once the lift was installed, problem lies with the install. I assume an alignment was done.
Sponsored