Sponsored

Steering issues, Jeep doesn’t want to wok on it because Mopar lift is installed.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Again, it's not how they deal with rubicons...it's how manufacturers deal with modified vehicles. They are not going to shell out money when they don't have to, and it doesn't matter who the maker is. Headlights are out of spec because the vehicle is lifted and needs to be adjusted. Steering should have been addressed before the lift if it was present, and if it wasn't, then the lift did cause it and the problem is the fault of the lift. Remove the lift, and handle the steering issues with another dealership.
Maybe y’all are smarter than me so I will leave this thread alone after this comment -

I have driven modified wranglers for 25yrs - all of them lifted. Not once during an install of a lift have I ever had to flash the PCM to adjust the steering as part of the install. So can someone please tell me how flashing a PCM via Technical Service Bulletin to correct the Electro Hydraulic Steering Ratios and correct an OEM created steering condition has anything to do with the Jeep being lifted.

I understand adjusting the headlights - I wouldn’t worry about that you can only adjust up and down and can do that yourself.

It is the burden of the dealership to prove the aftermarket accessory caused the failure, in the case of the steering TSB it was caused by some ass hat at the factory programming Jeeps wrong.

If I was in this situation there would be a show at the dealership around 10am on Saturday with the service manager when the show room was full.
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Update: dealership had car for two days, called and said come pick it up, you have a lift kit and we don't see a problem. Jeep told us not to work on it.

I asked if they could check the headlight alignment since it's there, they said nope, it's lifted and we don't cover that.

Very upset with the support from Jeep and this dealership and Mopar parts. I just can't believe this is how they treat people who spend thousands on a Rubicon.
I would go here and check an area forum and get feedback on other dealerships you can visit -

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/the-staging-area-local-sections.27/

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sorry, but you modified a vehicle without the technical know how, and require spending money to fix any issues with it. The dealership is out the costs of paying their tech to diagnose an issue, and know that it will get denied by FCA because of the lift, which is why they don't want to touch it. I have no doubt that your issues are NOT lift related, and are probably the same steering issues that other members with stock vehicles here are experiencing, I am not arguing that. However, the dealership will blame the lift and not want to touch it BECAUSE of the lift, as very often, lifts do indeed cause steering issues because most are badly engineered/installed, so they don't want to touch it. If you don't want to remove the lift, then you will have to find a dealership that is more modification friendly.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Maybe y’all are smarter than me so I will leave this thread alone after this comment -

I have driven modified wranglers for 25yrs - all of them lifted. Not once during an install of a lift have I ever had to flash the PCM to adjust the steering as part of the install. So can someone please tell me how flashing a PCM via Technical Service Bulletin to correct the Electro Hydraulic Steering Ratios and correct an OEM created steering condition has anything to do with the Jeep being lifted.

I understand adjusting the headlights - I wouldn’t worry about that you can only adjust up and down and can do that yourself.

It is the burden of the dealership to prove the aftermarket accessory caused the failure, in the case of the steering TSB it was caused by some ass hat at the factory programming Jeeps wrong.

If I was in this situation there would be a show at the dealership around 10am on Saturday with the service manager when the show room was full.
Again, I am NOT saying his lift caused the steering issues, I am certain actually that it did not. That is NOT what this discussion is about. It is about the dealer (and FCA) blaming a modification for a problem.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Is the dealership refuses to work on it at all, never return to that dealership. They're simply incompetent, and you'll be better off just about anywhere else.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
When a warranty repair is requested the dealer has to use common sense if he expects payment from FCA.

There has to be what they call the 3 C's. Complaint, Cause and Correction. If any of the 3 C's are missing they don't get paid by FCA for a repair.

Many dealer's, will not do the repair unless that "Cause" is something they think FCA will accept. A good Service Manager or General Manager that is customer friendly and also looking out for his employer, will reach out to his zone rep and have them make a decision if Cause is acceptable. This is done pretty often, if and when, the SM or GM has concern that the 3 C's are not going to be met. Yes, communicating with the Rep is additional work for them so a dickhead SM or GM will just brush you off and say mosey on.

Of course, if the zone rep is not on board with cause, then even more reason for the dealership to say no.

The OP should go to another dealership. The OP might try contacting the local Jeep Club and ask them, what dealer(s) in the immediate geographical location are mod friendly, etc.. Of course, if the Zone rep is the same and he said no to the original Service Manager or GM, then the answer will undoubtedly be the same.

Unfortunately, the OP, may find that to get the issue taken care of, the lift will have to come off..

Oh, about the headlight aiming. I do not think the dealer should have done that for you, unless you said you would pay them to do so. You lifted the Jeep, the altered aim was the fault of that so the correction of that aim, if dealer does it, should come out of your pocket.

Aim of both headlights and fog lights is easy easy so do a forum search, find out how and then get-er-done.

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Thank you for the advice. I will be reaching out to one of our club members dealership where he is a service tech. Should of went here first, but it's about 30 miles from my house.

When a warranty repair is requested the dealer has to use common sense if he expects payment from FCA.

There has to be what they call the 3 C's. Complaint, Cause and Correction. If any of the 3 C's are missing they don't get paid by FCA for a repair.

Many dealer's, will not do the repair unless that "Cause" is something they think FCA will accept. A good Service Manager or General Manager that is customer friendly and also looking out for his employer, will reach out to his zone rep and have them make a decision if Cause is acceptable. This is done pretty often, if and when, the SM or GM has concern that the 3 C's are not going to be met. Yes, communicating with the Rep is additional work for them so a dickhead SM or GM will just brush you off and say mosey on.

Of course, if the zone rep is not on board with cause, then even more reason for the dealership to say no.

The OP should go to another dealership. The OP might try contacting the local Jeep Club and ask them, what dealer(s) in the immediate geographical location are mod friendly, etc.. Of course, if the Zone rep is the same and he said no to the original Service Manager or GM, then the answer will undoubtedly be the same.

Unfortunately, the OP, may find that to get the issue taken care of, the lift will have to come off..

Oh, about the headlight aiming. I do not think the dealer should have done that for you, unless you said you would pay them to do so. You lifted the Jeep, the altered aim was the fault of that so the correction of that aim, if dealer does it, should come out of your pocket.

Aim of both headlights and fog lights is easy easy so do a forum search, find out how and then get-er-done.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
The OP isn’t any different than 95% of people on this forum - 90% of those people had lifts installed before the took delivery and even knew how big of an issue it was.

Some people put bigger wheels and tires on before the TSB.

The steering TSB came out in late June or early July I believe you think no one modded a Jeep because there steering was a sloppy.
Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I'm saying to myself.... if the guy bought a new vehicle and could tell the steering was a muck, why in the world would he install a lift.
You know installing a lift would just give the dealer / FCA ammunition for their gun so to speak, when it came to getting the steering issue pursued.

Hope this thread is a wake up call to other guys and gals that are considering lift and other similar modifications on their JL/JLU if they think it has steering issues.

To the OP.... Try another dealership's service department. You may in the end find yourself removing the lift temporarily.

I was thinking the same thing. Fix the issue FIRST before introducing another variable warranty or not.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Which is fine, but you can’t tell me you aren’t gonna even look at my vehicle because I have a Mopar lift kit installed?
Dealer is playing games : some accept it , some reject it . Your best bet is to find a good dealer .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I’m pretty upset that I bought a 56k Rubicon that is screwy all over the road before I even installed the lift
You are correct to be upset , but the dealer decides . In San Diego one dealer will void the warranty , and the other dealers don't care . Find a better dealer .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Again, I think it is a big mistake to put a lift on a new vehicle when you see it has a steering issue.
An even bigger mistake to take delivery after a hard-ass test drive to see if it has a steering issue . Always do the hard-ass test drive .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Is the dealership refuses to work on it at all, never return to that dealership. They're simply incompetent, and you'll be better off just about anywhere else.
Triple Bazinga !

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The truth is that dealerships have become so used to the recall/oil change teet over the years that they could not give one damn about customer service. It's literally like walking into the DMV now because you get that same apathetic experience.

Jeep cares is not much better. They may put on a smiley face, but the result is going to be a lot of run around with little results. There are one offs, but this is the norm now in our society.

Sad, but true.
Sponsored