Sponsored

Steering issues, Jeep doesn’t want to wok on it because Mopar lift is installed.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Brand new Rubicon (900 miles) is at the dealership to hopefully perform steering TSB and fix the flighty/ loose steering. Service manager comes out and states they cannot do it if Vin says it doesn’t need it. Reached out to @JeepCares and told me to take it back to the dealership. Service manager states, well I don’t know what you want us to do, we can look at it, but if Jeep doesn’t tell us to do anything we won’t do it. Then proceeds to tell me that the Mopar lift installed is not part of the warranty and they consider it aftermarket and don’t have to perform any service on the steering issues. I sent a message to @JeepCares to call me to discuss this, they said that they would have a tech call the dealership. They arenot familiar with the Mopar kit and it should state that any performance parts are not covered over warranty. I’m pretty upset that I bought a 56k Rubicon that is screwy all over the road before I even installed the lift btw, and then add a $1400 MOPAR lift kit that I only bought because it was supposed to stay within warranties and Jeep doesn’t want to support a problem that many are having. All I asked them to do is install the freaking update for the steering motor. I am hoping this will solve the problem. Dealership calls today and says can we have your Jeep one more day? Jeep told us if we don’t find a problem, don’t do anything.......hmmm I wonder what they are going to tell Jeep? So far very unsatisfied with Jeep and @JeepCares who seems to be so helpful with others in this forum. Apparently they do not back their Mopar performance parts, even though they say they do.......oh and btw, I didn’t ask for anything to be looked at regarding the Mopar lift!
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The lift has to be installed by a jeep dealership to be covered under warranty. It's the installation that isn't being covered.

OP
OP
Mantacon

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
The lift has to be installed by a jeep dealership to be covered under warranty. It's the installation that isn't being covered.
Which is fine, but you can’t tell me you aren’t gonna even look at my vehicle because I have a Mopar lift kit installed?

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Now you see, this is the BS that people keep spreading. STOP SPREADING BULLSH!T PLEASE.

I said in the other thread in regards to the intake. THE FACT THAT MOPAR SELLS IT MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR WARRANTY. THE FACT THAT A DEALER INSTALLED IT MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR WARRANTY.

FCA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A DEALERSHIP. THEY ARE AN INDEPENDENT BUSINESS, JUST LIKE A LOCAL MECHANIC.

IF YOUR MODIFICATION CAN BE BLAMED FOR AN ISSUE, IT WILL BE, AND FCA (or any other auto company) WILL DENY THAT CLAIM. YOU CAN SUE THEM IF YOU WANT, BUT THE UPHILL BATTLE IS YOURS. IT IS IRRELEVANT WHO INSTALLED IT, OR WHAT WAS INSTALLED. IF IT DIDN'T ROLL OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE WITH IT ON, IT IS NOT COVERED, AND NEITHER ARE ANY ISSUES THAT CAN BE BLAMED ON IT.

OP, take off your lift, and handle the issue with another dealer. This is like being a gun owner....if you are going to modify your jeep, learn how to deal with dealers in regards to issues and your aftermarket parts.

Sorry for the rant, but it's stuff like this that gets people in trouble, and gets their vehicles flagged (yes this is a thing.) Hopefully, the OPs ride wasn't flagged and a new dealer won't know what's going on.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which is fine, but you can’t tell me you aren’t gonna even look at my vehicle because I have a Mopar lift kit installed?
They are telling you this because steering issues are extremely difficult to diagnose, and it ties up their lifts and techs while they can overcharge the grandma for a fuse replacement. They are being dirtbags, don't fight them, just find another dealer that is more mod friendly and is willing to help/work with you.

Sponsored

Djeman2569

First Name
JLU S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
Call a Lemon Law Attorney. You live in CA and there are a couple good ones they'll be more than happy on how to tell you to handle the situation. Don't quote me on it but this kind of problem qualifies under the lemon category. They get a chance to fix it but if it happens multiple times you'll have a lemon=free car.

https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it doesn't qualify under the lemon law if they claim the lift caused the steering issue.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Now you see, this is the BS that people keep spreading. STOP SPREADING BULLSH!T PLEASE.

I said in the other thread in regards to the intake. THE FACT THAT MOPAR SELLS IT MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR WARRANTY. THE FACT THAT A DEALER INSTALLED IT MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR WARRANTY.

FCA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A DEALERSHIP. THEY ARE AN INDEPENDENT BUSINESS, JUST LIKE A LOCAL MECHANIC.

IF YOUR MODIFICATION CAN BE BLAMED FOR AN ISSUE, IT WILL BE, AND FCA (or any other auto company) WILL DENY THAT CLAIM. YOU CAN SUE THEM IF YOU WANT, BUT THE UPHILL BATTLE IS YOURS. IT IS IRRELEVANT WHO INSTALLED IT, OR WHAT WAS INSTALLED. IF IT DIDN'T ROLL OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE WITH IT ON, IT IS NOT COVERED, AND NEITHER ARE ANY ISSUES THAT CAN BE BLAMED ON IT.

OP, take off your lift, and handle the issue with another dealer. This is like being a gun owner....if you are going to modify your jeep, learn how to deal with dealers in regards to issues and your aftermarket parts.

Sorry for the rant, but it's stuff like this that gets people in trouble, and gets their vehicles flagged (yes this is a thing.) Hopefully, the OPs ride wasn't flagged and a new dealer won't know what's going on.
Well you're just flat out wrong, read the text of your warranty.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't need to read texts of warrantys, I read laws. When a dealer installs your lift, the DEALER warranties the INSTALLATION of your lift. FCA can and WILL deny warranty claims which CAN be tied to your lift. Helpful dealers will tell FCA (regardless of the lift) "hey, we have a customer that has bad steering, and FCA can say "ok, do XYZ." Crap dealers will tell the customer "you have a lift, it's causing your issues." Customer will insist on labor being done and paid for, so they will reach out to FCA and say "customer is complaining about steering, but has a lift on his vehicle"....to which FCA will reply "the lift is causing the issue, deny warranty claim" and that's how it works.

Sponsored

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
NFR is correct.

Some dealers are more mod friendly, like my local one...thank god. I’ve had my jeep in for tons of covered items that could’ve been blamed on my lift/tires. I even had a tranny redo under warranty and I was lifted on 35’s. I don’t ever remove parts to take it in.

But on my old Bmw, I had auto leveling headlights go bad. And because I changed the bulbs, warranty was voided on that assembly. Some dealers are very finicky.

Lastly, if the dealer installed your lift...it’s only that dealer you should take your lifted Jeep. No other dealer will give a crap about it and won’t cover it. I’d call another dealer and speak to the service Manager, ask them up front about it. Worst case remove lift

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I've been through similar situations with several different vehicles over the decades. My suggestion is that you find another dealership. How your situation is handled can be as different as night and day depending on the attitude of the dealership towards mods. As @Carbonalpine stated, the range of dealerships can go from very mod-friendly to downright mod-hostile. I think your best bet would be to search out a mod-friendly one in your area. You may be able to save yourself some legwork by inquiring on this forum and elsewhere about such a dealership in your area. Good luck!

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Just have to find a lift friendly dealership they are all over the place - the fact there is a TSB and flash protocol to fix steering issues pretty much trumps and mods causing steering issues, he is trying to get death wobble or bump steer covered, especially if the OP is specifying the TSB condition. It is a matter of getting it assigned or finding a dealer that wants business. Any dealership that sells lifted vehicles should never be able to deny a warranty claim - there techs can’t install a lift better than any person or aftermarket shop - in fact most of the time unless they do a ton of lifts will probably screw it up.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm saying to myself.... if the guy bought a new vehicle and could tell the steering was a muck, why in the world would he install a lift.
You know installing a lift would just give the dealer / FCA ammunition for their gun so to speak, when it came to getting the steering issue pursued.

Hope this thread is a wake up call to other guys and gals that are considering lift and other similar modifications on their JL/JLU if they think it has steering issues.

To the OP.... Try another dealership's service department. You may in the end find yourself removing the lift temporarily.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Is your Jeep covered under the U62 recall for cruise control? If so, take it in and have the U62 recall performed. That recall requires a flash of the PCM, which will by default upload the proper calibration for steering to your vehicle in the process of curing the things addressed by the recall.

Had mine done on 6-18-18 and it cured my steering issues, and I didn't mention "steering" to them a single time. Had my lift kit installed before I went there also.
Sponsored