Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm tired of spending my own money to fix all the issues because the dealer drags their feet. They told me the suspension is fine and to bring it back when it gets worse and they will fix it.
Gets worse??? Record a video of it, that's what I did. No one in their right mind would believe a steering wheel could be whipped 5'' back and forth in normal operation.
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The dealer we bought from had a unique test drive.
It was on fine city roads at low speed. Our issues were at highway speed.

Then they supposedly took a new Wrangler out to drive. From stock. Said it was the same. Conclusion? Same as new; nothing wrong--they were polite. However they did not perform the TSB we had provided for them, highlighted.

The only point I am making is that their examination of the Jeep was not done in a way that would allow them to experience the problems we had experienced. Note that we are Canadian; different company. FCA Jeep at the time. @JeepCares helped a lot referring me to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care. The rep at FCA Jeep was remarkable and so helpful. He recommended a different dealer and that store did really good work. It transformed our Jeep JLU and finally made it safe. 1 year after we first identified the problem to the selling dealer.

It's a Jeep Thing.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I had mine done a couple weeks ago and can definitely tell a difference. It is tighter and takes more effort to steer, which is good because the old gearbox seemed too easy and vague. I need to get some highway and dirt miles on it to really see the whole difference though.

Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Cross posting my same post from the TSB thread since I had commented in here back in September when I had the box ordered:

Just had mine done at 10,000 miles on my 2020 JLU Rubicon Recon. With covid and not commuting to work as often, I didnt really notice any issues for a while but started to notice it on the highway this past summer as I drove more. My aluminum box was terrible, but it wasnt as good as I felt it should be given the TSB I knew about being around for over a year now. Anyhow, I brought it into the dealer in september to have the fuel line looked at per the recall and mentioned it felt like it wanders on the highway a bit and no questions asked they ordered the new steering box for me. Took nearly 2 months to get the part, but I brought it in today and they did the job. Feels great! much tighter and easier to control with less correction and no visible dead spot in the steering. I've been very happy with the few warranty things my particular local dealer (Bedford Jeep in Bedford Hills, NY) has done. (I still do my oil and rotations DIY for therapy lol)

They also performed a courtesy alignment just since they took a few things apart when the did the box, just to make sure it was perfect. really happy with them, and the steering feel.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Cross posting my same post from the TSB thread since I had commented in here back in September when I had the box ordered:

Just had mine done at 10,000 miles on my 2020 JLU Rubicon Recon. With covid and not commuting to work as often, I didnt really notice any issues for a while but started to notice it on the highway this past summer as I drove more. My aluminum box was terrible, but it wasnt as good as I felt it should be given the TSB I knew about being around for over a year now. Anyhow, I brought it into the dealer in september to have the fuel line looked at per the recall and mentioned it felt like it wanders on the highway a bit and no questions asked they ordered the new steering box for me. Took nearly 2 months to get the part, but I brought it in today and they did the job. Feels great! much tighter and easier to control with less correction and no visible dead spot in the steering. I've been very happy with the few warranty things my particular local dealer (Bedford Jeep in Bedford Hills, NY) has done. (I still do my oil and rotations DIY for therapy lol)

They also performed a courtesy alignment just since they took a few things apart when the did the box, just to make sure it was perfect. really happy with them, and the steering feel.
I had mine finally done after being rejected initially by one dealer for supposedly highly modified state of my Jeep. Definitively big positive difference.

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I got mine back from the dealer and it basically drives the exact same and when I had this done before on my previous 19jl there was a noticeable difference in steering.
it was done under Warranty but I don’t think they replaced it. I attached pics as this looks like the aluminum one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 2803BA09-DF44-4417-96B0-048AEB1366CD

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) BB4A50D5-B607-4DD5-8ED8-C94320D2D2F2

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I got mine back from the dealer and it basically drives the exact same and when I had this done before on my previous 19jl there was a noticeable difference in steering.
it was done under Warranty but I don’t think they replaced it. I attached pics as this looks like the aluminum one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) BB4A50D5-B607-4DD5-8ED8-C94320D2D2F2

Yup, that's that's the old aluminum one. You would think these guys would really have a clue by now...

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
My dealer ordered an aluminum one the first time. I asked to make sure the new one was steel before I dropped it off. They checked and said whoops. They really don’t have a clue, and the more that you hold their hand, while trying not to offend them, the better.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks….

Now to explain to them how to do their job.
Maybe they just cleaned up your old box and thought you'd not notice :(

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Looks like the original aluminum, but you can always put a magnet on it to be sure.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My dealer ordered an aluminum one the first time. I asked to make sure the new one was steel before I dropped it off. They checked and said whoops. They really don’t have a clue, and the more that you hold their hand, while trying not to offend them, the better.
Which is ridiculous because the TSB literally lists every single part and gives step by step instructions.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

2803BA09-DF44-4417-96B0-048AEB1366CD.jpeg

BB4A50D5-B607-4DD5-8ED8-C94320D2D2F2.jpeg
I think the TSB's are better written now.

Dropped the wrangler off and handed a copy of the first TSB off, highlighted showing the symptoms with a note--have these complaints--Signed. Service said it was fine, refused to do the work. "It's a Jeep Thing" Work order: Wrote on it, Note--work was not done. Service writer complained....

@JeepCares helped. A lot. And with this introduction, FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care referred me to another dealer they recommended. They did excellent work.
Sponsored