limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
might Just order these parts and DIY it. Anyone run into problems doing it themselves?
Might want to talk with your preferred service department first to see how much the software update will cost you.

Otherwise, swapping steering boxes isn’t hard. The hardest part will be removing the pitman arm from the old box. Then you’ll have to ensure it’s oriented/clocked correctly onto the new box.

Another pointer is to tie down the steering wheel before you remove anything. You don’t want the wheel to turn while you have your steering box removed.
Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Might want to talk with your preferred service department first to see how much the software update will cost you.

Otherwise, swapping steering boxes isn’t hard. The hardest part will be removing the pitman arm from the old box. Then you’ll have to ensure it’s oriented/clocked correctly onto the new box.

Another pointer is to tie down the steering wheel before you remove anything. You don’t want the wheel to turn while you have your steering box removed.
Software update required I take it then?

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Swapping steering boxes this week. What should I tell the service department advisor so they don’t screw up the install? I have read about steering fluid level and making sure they set it up to the new software. Thanks!

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Swapping steering boxes this week. What should I tell the service department advisor so they don’t screw up the install? I have read about steering fluid level and making sure they set it up to the new software. Thanks!
I'd express my concerns that there are numerous documented incidents where the TSB wasn't completed properly: improper/insufficient fluid level, no software update, old bolts reused, etc.

Then ask the service advisor to tell you exactly what the TSB states. When you pick up your Jeep, ensure the invoice lists everything done per the TSB.

Depending on your relationship with the service department/advisor, they may get defensive about your requests/questions. Some service departments are better than others (as evidenced by some of problems expressed in this thread and others), so YMMV. I've found that not only being friendly to them, but also being knowledgeable about what the problem is and expected repair (without coming across as a know it all), helps them to understand they won't get away with a shoddy repair job.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I went in last week but the service advisor said that he needed the OEM track bar number in order to order the new steering box. Is this true? I have an aftermarket one so that’s not an option.

I also contacted @JeepCares but haven’t heard back.

Trollboogie

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Hellayella, 2021 Mojave, 2006 GTO
Occupation
Machinist
I went in last week but the service advisor said that he needed the OEM track bar number in order to order the new steering box. Is this true? I have an aftermarket one so that’s not an option.

They put the new track bar on mine.

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just got mine done this AM. Will report back after a few days of driving / testing.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I did get TSB done. It was such a nice a improvement I’m holding off putting on the adjustable LCAs. To be honest not sure I need them at this point with how well the new gear box feels. I know it may even get better with higher caster but I can cruise on highway at 80 with no to little steering correction needed. Mine has the Mopar lift w/37s and still has the LCAs that come with that kit. I have added upgraded Trackbar and steering stabilizer. I wouldn’t think you need those for non lifted Sport. You definitely wouldn’t need all 8 unless you are going with a serious lift. Have you done the TSB yet?
Thanks for the helpful info, I go to the dealer next week for my TSB. They tried to tell me that the Rubicon Wheels (33's) I had on my sport caused the steering LOL..JeepCares had to step in to authorize the fix at my dealership. Also I see you runnings 37's, do you know if 35's on sport 3.6 needs regearing?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the helpful info, I go to the dealer next week for my TSB. They tried to tell me that the Rubicon Wheels (33's) I had on my sport caused the steering LOL..JeepCares had to step in to authorize the fix at my dealership. Also I see you runnings 37's, do you know if 35's on sport 3.6 needs regearing?
Many people will recommend gears for 35s on a Sport. Good luck with dealership next week.

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I'd express my concerns that there are numerous documented incidents where the TSB wasn't completed properly: improper/insufficient fluid level, no software update, old bolts reused, etc.

Then ask the service advisor to tell you exactly what the TSB states. When you pick up your Jeep, ensure the invoice lists everything done per the TSB.

Depending on your relationship with the service department/advisor, they may get defensive about your requests/questions. Some service departments are better than others (as evidenced by some of problems expressed in this thread and others), so YMMV. I've found that not only being friendly to them, but also being knowledgeable about what the problem is and expected repair (without coming across as a know it all), helps them to understand they won't get away with a shoddy repair job.
Thank you for the response! Will do. Any other issues I should be aware of?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the response! Will do. Any other issues I should be aware of?
The only thing I can think of is to ask if they are going to check the alignment when the TSB is completed. Per the TSB I saw for my Jeep, there was no verbiage concerning an alignment check/adjustment. My service advisor checked the alignment, but didn't have to adjust anything due to everything being within spec.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

News to me about needing the TB number.....unless yours has a TSB for the TB. I've read the steering gear TSB and it didn't say anything about the TB.

PNW_JL

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi all, got interesting case here..
Just picked up a 21 JLUR and interestingly enough, I am getting a lot of play in the steering (pulling to the right) lots of left correcting during driving. Seems like it would change lanes on it's own if it could; or I look like a drunk driver going down the highway. Assuming my JLUR already has the steel steering box, could this be an alignment issue? Anyone else with a 21 experiencing the same? Any advice is appreciated!

I already have a service appointment booked, but I wanted to see advice prior to hearing "its a Jeep thing"

Jon

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, got interesting case here..
Just picked up a 21 JLUR and interestingly enough, I am getting a lot of play in the steering (pulling to the right) lots of left correcting during driving. Seems like it would change lanes on it's own if it could; or I look like a drunk driver going down the highway. Assuming my JLUR already has the steel steering box, could this be an alignment issue? Anyone else with a 21 experiencing the same? Any advice is appreciated!

I already have a service appointment booked, but I wanted to see advice prior to hearing "its a Jeep thing"

Jon
Lower the tire pressure. Dealers over inflate.
Sponsored