First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Please keep us posted as I was denied today at Vendor....”my VIN was NOT applicable “
They aren't looking at the TSB. If I was to guess, they might be looking at the V41 recall. As that is VIN specific, but truly based on year.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Gear box is on the left at teh end of teh steering shaft. The pump is on the passenger side, you can't miss it, open your hood and there is a little resevoir bottle right next to the battery. That sits on top of the pump.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Just visited my dealership for a jeep wave oil change and requested a steering gear replacement/update. The service manager pushed back slightly, however since I've done the research and already completed all other supposed "fixes" (track bar, v41 stabilizer, updated steering calibration, etc) they ordered the new gear for me and will install it under warranty when it arrives.

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
After about a month of waiting, got the TSP completed between yesterday and today… I’m currently 2 miles into my drive home and it is 100% fixed.

To anyone who’s out of warranty, and debating if I should do it or not I highly recommend you do.

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired Fuzz/Hobo/Will work for Whiskey...
How about letting Jeep fix it at no cost, they recently sent out a service bulletin and my buddy got it done, all problems gone!
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) Page 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) Page 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) Page 3

Sponsored

jaj6127

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Awesome, I just brought my JLU in today. They called me within an hour and stated that my JL will get the new steering box. Bad News it will take 2 months for the parts to come in. I also have a 2.5 RE lift and no issues whatsoever. I think it helped when I showed the video with the amount of play in the steering wheel.

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired Fuzz/Hobo/Will work for Whiskey...
Whoa, 2 months huh, damn, okay good to know. Probably getting inundated with Jeepers wanting it fixed....or its the whole COVID thing.....

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Dang. I think 2-doors have less of a wait on that part - ordering took 3 days for mine last month.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Had mine replaced about a month ago and i really didn’t notice a big difference. I guess I fall into the meh camp here. I don’t know if they did a complete reset or not but I do know I have had to add power steering fluid twice now. I haven’t seen anything leaking but it has been about 1/2 shot glass low twice now. I’m wondering if somehow there is an issue getting all the air out of the system? Also I have noticed if I am stopped and I go lock to lock with the wheel sometimes there is a “tight” spot like it struggles to get past. But if I do it again it’s smooth from lock to lock.

Sponsored

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Update from S. Florida. Took jeep to Napleton on Northlake in the Palm Beach area. My jeep has a constant pull to the right. Dealer said it needed alignment. Its been aligned 4 times now in an effort to resolve the pull. Dealer aligned it, still pulls to the right but they won't do the TSB. Want me to pick up the jeep.

Waiting for call from Jeep about getting the TSB work done. Hoping the JeepCares case will resolve this issue.
The latest... JeepCares helped with getting the dealer to perform the TSB. Steering is definitely better with the new box.

Just drove the jeep from Florida to Texas for a jeep jamboree and it did great! This new box is a definite improvement.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Had mine replaced about a month ago and i really didn’t notice a big difference. I guess I fall into the meh camp here. I don’t know if they did a complete reset or not but I do know I have had to add power steering fluid twice now. I haven’t seen anything leaking but it has been about 1/2 shot glass low twice now. I’m wondering if somehow there is an issue getting all the air out of the system? Also I have noticed if I am stopped and I go lock to lock with the wheel sometimes there is a “tight” spot like it struggles to get past. But if I do it again it’s smooth from lock to lock.
I think it depends how bad your steering was to begin with. Mine was decent except on long hot drives then got pretty sloppy. New box hasn't made much of a difference w/ mine either, but the real test is how it holds up on those hot runs. If it's tight in the heat then it's a big win for me :)

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends how bad your steering was to begin with. Mine was decent except on long hot drives then got pretty sloppy. New box hasn't made much of a difference w/ mine either, but the real test is how it holds up on those hot runs. If it's tight in the heat then it's a big win for me :)
Sounds very similar to my steering situation. It's only bad on long hot drives. Thought it was livable after all the previous updates/TSBs until I drove it to the desert last month. No fun trying to keep it in the lane on the highway when it's over 100 degrees. It really get sloppy!

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Got my new steering box but still has play especially when it’s 100degrees outside here in az. Yes it’s better but I’m still getting that loose steering feeling/floaty. It’s just doesn’t seem sturdy to me. Had dealer look at it again and they said it drives fine, I hate when they do that. Soo anyone else here notice still some play and still having to correct wheel while driving? Maybe I’m just being picky but I drove and another one and it felt tighter then mine, like you should be able to feel some resistance when turning wheel to let you know that it’s engaging.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Well... Had a disappointing morning at the dealership.

Got a call from the service manager the end of last week that my new steering gear for the TSB came in and scheduled installation for today. However, during check-in this morning quickly realized that the special order gear had gone "missing"...

After he made several calls to different people in their parts department, he confirmed the gear is nowhere to be found and needs to be reordered. :(

Didn't receive a good explanation of what happened. However, I know these things happen. I'm sure someone else is glad to have a new steering gear on their JL.
Sponsored