First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Took my 2018 JLU to the dealer on Friday. Was told they could not replicate the issue and that Jeep's are not highway vehicles. I kept calm and referenced the TSB, but was told again there is no issue. I stated there is obviously an issue if the company issued a TSB. Here is the best part...I offered to pay for the complete replacement myself and was declined. They said they would rather not perform the TSB even if I paid. Without having to go through this over and over again with dealer after dealer, do any of you have advice? Perhaps trying JeepCares? Thank you!
I can't understand if these dealerships are so busy they don't want the billable hours to do this work?
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:
I've been working with my dealer on this since I've had the gear box replaced on both our Jeeps and we are seeing VERY different results. This might get lengthy but I'm hoping it will help some of us and also please feed back on your results especially regarding the software update info and "whining noise". My dealer is very interested in this topic since they are starting to see more Jeeps get the replacement box.

2018 Sahara, 3.5" lift, 37s, Steersmarts components.
New box gave a DRAMATIC difference in that the steering is very tight and solid feel now.
Initially they did not update the software but I had them check and do that today.
After the software update all the settings like tire size and gears were NOT reset because this Jeep had the correct Sales Code which was 5SY. That meant that ONLY the power steering software module was updated and not an entire reset of the computer system.
All Jeeps have a "whining" sound when the wheel is turned. This is the hydro electric power steering pump being activated. When you let the steering wheel go the pump should stop. After the software update the pump continues to run for about 10 seconds. It did not do this prior to the software update.

2018 Rubicon, 3.5" lift, 37s, Steersmarts components.
New box gave barely noticeable difference. It did tighten the wheel up a bit but as others have noted, it doesn't have as planted of a feel to it. Sort of like there is a numbness to the feel of the road. While I am happy it tightened the wheel up a bit, I don't like that the feeling overall isn't as responsive like it was. It was previously running the second iteration of the aluminum box and other than some wheel play felt good.
When the software was updated on this Jeep is was an entire system reset and that must have been because it did not have the 5SY sales code. Tire size and gear ratios were all reset and I had to use my Tazer to reprogram them.
The "whining" noise became much louder than before and it will run at least 10 seconds after the wheel isn't touched and even when it is just sitting there.

My thoughts are I wonder if those of us that have the "meh" feeling with the new gear box are all having total computer resets because we didn't have the 5SY sales code.

The questions I have for those who have the new box are...

1. Did you have a complete reflash of the computer because you did not have the 5SY sales code OR did you simply have the gear box software updated and your computer was not reflashed? The biggest indicator of a reflashed system is that your tire size and axle gear ration will be back to what they were factory.

2. Does your pump continue to run and you hear a "whiney" sound AFTER you have let go of the wheel?

My dealer did another gear box replacement this AM and that Jeep now also the "whining" noise continuing after the steering wheel is let go. The question is, is this by design or is the new software over driving the pump?

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:
I've been working with my dealer on this since I've had the gear box replaced on both our Jeeps and we are seeing VERY different results. This might get lengthy but I'm hoping it will help some of us and also please feed back on your results especially regarding the software update info and "whining noise". My dealer is very interested in this topic since they are starting to see more Jeeps get the replacement box.

New box gave a DRAMATIC difference in that the steering is very tight and solid feel now.
Initially they did not update the software but I had them check and do that today.
After the software update all the settings like tire size and gears were NOT reset because this Jeep had the correct Sales Code which was 5SY. That meant that ONLY the power steering software module was updated and not an entire reset of the computer system.
All Jeeps have a "whining" sound when the wheel is turned. This is the hydro electric power steering pump being activated. When you let the steering wheel go the pump should stop. After the software update the pump continues to run for about 10 seconds. It did not do this prior to the software update.

New box gave barely noticeable difference. It did tighten the wheel up a bit but as others have noted, it doesn't have as planted of a feel to it. Sort of like there is a numbness to the feel of the road. While I am happy it tightened the wheel up a bit, I don't like that the feeling overall isn't as responsive like it was. It was previously running the second iteration of the aluminum box and other than some wheel play felt good.
When the software was updated on this Jeep is was an entire system reset and that must have been because it did not have the 5SY sales code. Tire size and gear ratios were all reset and I had to use my Tazer to reprogram them.
The "whining" noise became much louder than before and it will run at least 10 seconds after the wheel isn't touched and even when it is just sitting there.

My thoughts are I wonder if those of us that have the "meh" feeling with the new gear box are all having total computer resets because we didn't have the 5SY sales code.

1. Did you have a complete reflash of the computer because you did not have the 5SY sales code OR did you simply have the gear box software updated and your computer was not reflashed? The biggest indicator of a reflashed system is that your tire size and axle gear ration will be back to what they were factory.

2. Does your pump continue to run and you hear a "whiney" sound AFTER you have let go of the wheel?

My dealer did another gear box replacement this AM and that Jeep now also the "whining" noise continuing after the steering wheel is let go. The question is, is this by design or is the new software over driving the pump?
Don't know if I had total computer reset or just steering update. Don't have a Tazer and never reset axle ratio or tire size - anyone know how to get this level of detail out of the system? Dealer paperwork doesn't reveal other than "software update"

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know if I had total computer reset or just steering update. Don't have a Tazer and never reset axle ratio or tire size - anyone know how to get this level of detail out of the system? Dealer paperwork doesn't reveal other than "software update"
Possibly a call to the dealer would provide more detail. Maybe in their system they can see the sales code data.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
I recently had mine completed. 2018 sport SJLU. 2 inch lift 35 inch tires no steering components.

I did get a full reset. I had to change all my settings back. Tire size, gearing, lighting options, etc.

I have not experienced any whining from the power steering. My vehicle handles much much better. Less input required. Does not wander does not pull any more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Possibly a call to the dealer would provide more detail. Maybe in their system they can see the sales code data.
5sy isnt the lastest and great steering build code......70f is

the pump running is part of the programming

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
the software update is 2 parts....first the eps is updated to have the correct software to run the new steering gear then the vehicle is reconfigured for the 70f build code

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:

Mike - I believe they do a total reset with or without removing 5SY since they are loading the new 70F code. The TSB references 2018-2019 models, guessing 2020 didn't have 5SY and already had 70F. I have a 2018 Sport S, Mopar lift, 37s, Yeti TB, Fox ATS SS. My workorder shows removing 5SY and total reset, of course not sure because had Tazer unmarried which reset all systems to default before drop off and then had to reprogram everything (Tire size, TPMS, LED lighting, etc.) after marrying the Tazer. Here is wording to removing 5SY and inserting 70F referenced above. Not sure I am reading correctly or not... Also - mine doesn't whine.

4. Check the vehicle’s Sales Codes. Does it have Sales Code 5SY?
  • YES >>> Proceed to Step 5.
  • NO >>> Proceed to Step 6.
5. Remove Sales Code 5SY to the vehicle list. Go to DealerCONNECT > Service > Warranty Administration > Vehicle Option Update.

6. Is the vehicle a 2018 or 2019 JL?
  • YES>>> Proceed to Step 7.
  • NO>>> Proceed to Step 8.
7. Add Sales Code 70F to the vehicle list. Go to DealerCONNECT > Service > Warranty Administration > Vehicle Option Update.

8. Using wiTECH 2, perform “Restore Vehicle Configuration” routine. This routine can be found in Guided Diagnostics. Follow all screen prompts to complete this routine.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that explanation. The interesting thing is how my whining noise got considerably louder after the update. I'm starting to get the impression that maybe some are louder than others and the continuing to run after wheel movement has stopped is par for the course now.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
the software update is 2 parts....first the eps is updated to have the correct software to run the new steering gear then the vehicle is reconfigured for the 70f build code
My wife's Jeep was built 11/17 and mine was 3/18 I believe. Regardless it sounds like mine still had the sales code of 5SY in the system which triggered the tech to do a total reset where my wife's somewhere along the way was changed to 70F and no longer needed to be updated regarding the sales code.

QUESTION:
Are you able to update the new gear box software while still keeping the 5SY sales code? The tech confirmed today that my wife's Jeep had the old software in the system, somethiung like a red box shows up on teh computer for any modeule that is not current. He said all he needed to do was update the steering software and do nothing else. I'm assuming that meant that the 70F sales code was already in place. I'm HOPING that you can't do the software update unless that code is in place. I hope I am making sense.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
UPDATE:

How can you tell if the steering pump is running? I don’t hear any difference in sounds when comparing while turning the steering wheel vs after letting the steering wheel go, instantly, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, etc.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How can you tell if the steering pump is running? I don’t hear any difference in sounds when comparing while turning the steering wheel vs after letting the steering wheel go, instantly, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, etc.
When you turn the wheel the computer tells the pump to run. When you let go of the wheel some Jeeps immediately turn the pump off while others allow it to continue. You will hear the "whining" noise coming from the pump on the passenger side.
You can hear it most pronounced when the wheels are being turned. If you hear no difference from when the wheels are turning vs. sitting still then you either have a VERY quiet pump OR your pump is constantly running. It's best to do this some place quiet like a garage or driveway where you can listen for the noise.

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
I got mine scheduled for the TSB as well..Hopefully next week I'll have it installed. There was definitely play in my steering. If this tightens it up, then I'll be a happy dude.
Please keep us posted as I was denied today at Vendor....”my VIN was NOT applicable “

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Please keep us posted as I was denied today at Vendor....”my VIN was NOT applicable “
VIN has nothing to do with it. They must be checking something else.
Sponsored