First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
looking at the above picture it looks like the front bolts are correct
That's mine. I was showing what proper bolt length looked like.
Sponsored

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Dealership also apparently reinstalled the old bolts on mine. Combined with the likely failure to update the software. Man, i'm so tired of laziness and incompetence from these people.
Dropped off again this morning for them to address the bolts and software. The bolts were on the service order and plainly not installed, so hopefully they won't be difficult about it. Drove on the freeway this morning and I can say that the overly-light steering could actually pose a safety issue. If you were to need to use evasive maneuvers it would be very easy to over-steer since there is so little effort required and almost no feedback. I'm going to be pretty tenacious about that piece getting corrected. Frankly, that's probably something that @JeepCares will want to pass along so that it can be emphasized to dealers. That has safety and liability potential.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Darn, they reused the old AE bolts in yours :(
The new bolts are all the same size and stick out from the box about a 1/2".
In your parts list it doesn't list the 4 bolt set either :(

Mine had the proper box bolts but I have a strong suspicion they reused the I-shaft bolt, which is the one that is supposed to be replaced any time it's taken out :headbang:
Dealership also apparently reinstalled the old bolts on mine. Combined with the likely failure to update the software. Man, i'm so tired of laziness and incompetence from these people.
Thank you for spotting that. Now my dilemma is should I ask them to remove the long bolts and have them replaced or just wing it?

I did check and thr long bolts actually rub against the casing of the gear and is likely not advised at all.

my gut tells me I should have them install the proper bolts.

what do folks here recommend?
Hello everyone,
Please feel free to send our team a private message if you have any concerns with your vehicle repair. We would be happy to address this further alongside your dealer on your behalf. Thank you.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
If only it didn't feel like the Trektop was going to get torn off at that speed... lol

What? I didn't have that issue with MY Trektop... Starting to regret selling but I have plans.

Glad the new steering gear worked out as well as it did. Dealer has parts on order for me, but I have no idea when I'll get the fix.

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Dropped off again this morning for them to address the bolts and software. The bolts were on the service order and plainly not installed, so hopefully they won't be difficult about it. Drove on the freeway this morning and I can say that the overly-light steering could actually pose a safety issue. If you were to need to use evasive maneuvers it would be very easy to over-steer since there is so little effort required and almost no feedback. I'm going to be pretty tenacious about that piece getting corrected. Frankly, that's probably something that @JeepCares will want to pass along so that it can be emphasized to dealers. That has safety and liability potential.
Youā€™re the only one in the hundreds of people Iā€™ve spoke with about since I posted this here and on other social media platforms that has complained about tight steering

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
What? I didn't have that issue with MY Trektop... Starting to regret selling but I have plans.

Glad the new steering gear worked out as well as it did. Dealer has parts on order for me, but I have no idea when I'll get the fix.
Still sensitive to tire pressure changes but loads better.

The Trektop slope angle is different on the 4 door and it turns out it can get a little turbulent back there at speed, lol.

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Youā€™re the only one in the hundreds of people Iā€™ve spoke with about since I posted this here and on other social media platforms that has complained about tight steering
Light, not tight.

Thought I saw a few people on here mention lightness, but either way I knew the overwhelming majority of folks said nothing or specifically noted it was same as before and that told me I was an outlier. The feel of mine is probably 50% effort compared to before. Maybe less at highway speed. It's shocking.

Just got a call from the Dealership and they stated that even though they ordered the all the correct parts on the TSB, the 4-bolt kit for the assembly only included a single bolt, so that's all they installed initially. The said of the 5 kits they've ordered, all only have one bolt and they had to use 4 'kits' total to be able to install the correct 4 bolts for mine. The contents of the package is certainly not something I can speak to, but it seems odd that only one would be included and the tech just randomly picked one of the 4 bolts to replace and nobody thought that was worth noting to me or Jeep?

They also stated that they previously applied the software update correctly and only could do a 'configuration reset' on this visit. I have not picked it up to determine if there is any difference.

Lioska

First Name
Alioscha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my steering gear box replaced. I have a 2020 JLU and I had the AE box, steering was OK but it felt unsafe at highway speed.

Drove it back from the dealer at highway speed and it feels perfect now, just like a normal car, no play in the wheel at all and it really changed the way it drives for the better so I am pretty happy.

It took about 5 hours to get installed and the dealer Autonation Bellevue was excellent. Tires were at 37 PSI and they put them at 34 PSI, I would recommend the change even if you have the AE gear box.

Attaching some pictures

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) PXL_20200925_204107345.NIGHT

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) PXL_20200925_204017827.NIGHT

Last edited:

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
Mines done, I like it! Drives like a modern vehicle should drive!

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Got correct bolts installed but no change in feel. I'm just going to assume it's the new normal and get used to it.

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
I got some bad play with my steering also, would this be covered under warranty? Even though I installed new track bars, LCA, and sway bars? I got a 19 jlu Sport. Also up in Canada. If not covered by warranty would it be something I could do on my own?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Got correct bolts installed but no change in feel. I'm just going to assume it's the new normal and get used to it.
final step in the formula would be check what your caster is at and where others have set it. It makes a real difference. I can only attest to a JLUR so your milage may vary.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
A few updates:

on 9/2/20 Contacted by the Service Manager. He informed me that he had heard from Marvin at Corporate. The parts had been ordered but not received and an install appointment was made for 9/10/20.

9/8/20 I contacted the service manager via email. Asked if we were still set for install on the 10th.

9/9/20 Reveived email from the Service manager. He asked me to check on parts...
"J,
I just checked and we still have not received the part. You may want to call Chrysler back and see what is going on with this. I cant track the part order because we didnā€™t put the order in. Right now we are only eligible to order 1 of these steering gears every 14 days and we are not able to order one now until Sept 23rd. Chrysler should be able to get the order here faster if THEY put the order in."

9/9/20 I contacted Corporate. Not Marvin directly. Pulled the ticket number and did not see any shipping notes or that the parts were ever ordered. Rep informed me that the parts were just ordered and the dealer should see them by the 14th. I called the Service Manager and let him know. He said they did not receive parts on Mondays. And that he would contact me when they come in.

J,

9/11/20 Email from Service manager. "We received the replacement steering gear for your jeep however there are some additional bolts that have to be replaced per the technical service bulletin that Mopar backordered. We are not expecting the bolts until the 18th. I will get in touch with you as soon as we receive the parts. Sorry for the delay but we are at the mercy of our parts supplier on this one."

9/16/20 Revieved another email form Service manager.

"J,

I am scheduling you an appointment for next Tuesday, Sept. 22, to get the steering gear replaced on your jeep. Let me know if this day works for you or if you need to reschedule.

Thanks,"

9/22/20 Dropped off the Jeep this morning. Was pleasantly informed by the Service manager. "We may not get to it today. I'll let you know."

Now the wait begins. UHG. Why set a damn appointment if you're not going to get to the repair?. It is not like there hasn't been time to schedule this properly. I've been more than patient. Or just a quick phone call. Hey J, We are running behind and can't get to your repair today. Would you mind if we reschedule for whenever?

9/22/20 Received a call around 4pm. My Jeep was ready. Did the cursory check before taking possession of the vehicle back. Everything looked complete and part numbers and bolts looked correct. Drove it a little and def feels better.

9/23/20 Took her for a good drive today. About 45 miles. Drove it on Highway, side streets and country roads. Night and day for me. Drives so much better. I can easily control the jeep with two digits. Lots of folks have talked about the seeing being tighter, heavier etc. Mine feels more responsive to input and that input is easier to apply. I get no more wondering on the highway at all. Including on skinny back road highways at speeds of 70+. Very glad I held my ground and escalated my concerns even out of the standard warranty period. Big shout out to @JeepCares and Marvin from corporate. Without their involvement. I would have paid 1400 out of pocket. Thanks again!!!.

I did have to realign my steering wheel. No biggie. They also spilled power steering fluid all down the passenger front inside the engine bay. Tech also apparently felt it was appropriate to stand on top of my bumper on both sides of my nice powder coated bumper and grind his dirty feet into it. Other than that. All is right in the world.

Here are a few pics of the completion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0534

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0530

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0529

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0531

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0533
Sponsored