brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine completed the day before and it definitely feels more responsive. Kudos to @JeepCares for stepping in and getting it done as the dealer wasnt even interested in looking at the jeep with a MetalCloak lift kit and 37" tires.

The dealer performed the following:
1600963417189.png

I was told the power steering pump was "dated" and hence replaced. I did find that my steering isnt completely centered after the work was completed for which I am taking the jeep back. First attempt to "center" the steering wheel from tilting to the left yielded to it now tilting to the right. Never a dull moment with Jeep dealers....:)

Here are BEFORE pics:

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

AFTER pics:

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

I will drive a bit more next few days for a little thorough analysis as I felt the loose steering mostly on highways and wandering on hotter days. Given that its not extremely hot anymore on the east coast I doubt I can really tell the difference with wandering till next year.
It looks like they re-used your forward bolts! I would seriously question that when the new ones come in a 4 pack and they are supposed to replace them. The mounting boss is much thinner on the iron gear and they don't need to be that long. All 4 bolts on mine are the same length.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0498.JPG
Sponsored

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
It looks like they re-used your forward bolts! I would seriously question that when the new ones come in a 4 pack and they are supposed to replace them. The mounting boss is much thinner on the iron gear and they don't need to be that long. All 4 bolts on mine are the same length.

IMG_0498.JPG
Dealership also apparently reinstalled the old bolts on mine. Combined with the likely failure to update the software. Man, i'm so tired of laziness and incompetence from these people.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Brought my 2019 JLUR (with lift/bigger tires/upgraded steering components) into the dealership yesterday and was approved for the new steering box. Sounds like the parts are way out and it won't be a few months until I will have mine replaced.
Which dealer in CO told you that?

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0498.JPG
Thank you for spotting that. Now my dilemma is should I ask them to remove the long bolts and have them replaced or just wing it?

I did check and thr long bolts actually rub against the casing of the gear and is likely not advised at all.

my gut tells me I should have them install the proper bolts.

what do folks here recommend?

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Thank you for spotting that. Now my dilemma is should I ask them to remove the long bolts and have them replaced or just wing it?

I did check and thr long bolts actually rub against the casing of the gear and is likely not advised at all.

I'll have mine replaced since I need the software verified (cough*actuallydone*cough), but i'm not sure I would otherwise. Sitting at the dealership for 2 hours for something I could do myself for $5 and 10 minutes hardly seems worth it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler

make them do there job.....those are one time use bolts

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler

looking at the above picture it looks like the front bolts are correct

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Yeah, the inconsistency is pretty concerning.
no the dealer doesnt have the option to install the wrong software....the diagnostic system only shows the computers that need updating so as long as they updated it then its correct

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
Did mine at work as well. actually had a friend do it. . i was busy and needed it done. . . drives great, total improvement. go get it done while you can people. . . each dealer is only allowed to order one every so many days. so. get in there before the rush hits. .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Did mine at work as well. actually had a friend do it. . i was busy and needed it done. . . drives great, total improvement. go get it done while you can people. . . each dealer is only allowed to order one every so many days. so. get in there before the rush hits. .
lol the rush is already here

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
no the dealer doesnt have the option to install the wrong software....the diagnostic system only shows the computers that need updating so as long as they updated it then its correct
true that. . if you are out of date. you will see the option to upgrade software. if you are current. that module will not show any updates available. hard to mess up . .

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
true that. . if you are out of date. you will see the option to upgrade software. if you are current. that module will not show any updates available. hard to mess up . .
I'm not saying that they somehow misapplied it, I'm suggesting that they didn't do it at all.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Got the TSB done on my 2019 JLS; steering wonder is gone, and it tracks straight and true. Tested it on freeway, high-speed 2 lane, around town, and curvey secondary road...I am very pleased with the results! No more "boat-like" steering with constant corrections (seemed to be temperature sensitive; drove better cold). Steering effort unchanged.

I checked all part numbers and inspected the work. Only issues were steering wheel off center, and unpainted bare metal showing on frame at steering gear mounting boss(??). Dealer warrantied an alignment to straighten the wheel. I'll touch up the bare metal next time I'm under the Jeep.

Jeep is now a pleasure to drive! :like:

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl