Sponsored

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Hearing some reports of the really overly-light steering is certainly not my experience. Wondering why there are some differences here. I know for sure my dealer did the programming because some settings I had down for and LED light conversion got reset. I'm wondering if this is a product of not getting the right software?
Yeah, the inconsistency is pretty concerning.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My steering requires more effort after the TSB but I like it. It’s closer to my past sports/muscle cars.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Hearing some reports of the really overly-light steering is certainly not my experience.
Same here.

Later,
Johnny

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I received e-mail from dealer that all my parts for the new steel steering up grade have been ordered. Will keep you guys up dated.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
I got mine scheduled for the TSB as well..Hopefully next week I'll have it installed. There was definitely play in my steering. If this tightens it up, then I'll be a happy dude.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
My TSB was completed yesterday and this morning while driving to work I noticed there was a little less play however I had to make light adjustments.

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
I'd like to hear about everyone's light vs. heavy (or no-change) impressions after getting the repair. Surely it must be software related, but trying to figure out if it's from having or not having SW done correctly.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to hear about everyone's light vs. heavy (or no-change) impressions after getting the repair. Surely it must be software related, but trying to figure out if it's from having or not having SW done correctly.
I don't feel the steering is any heavier - I believe no-change. Feels same effort-wise but is definitely more precise, there is very little if any play in the system now. No compliance, wind-up, or disconnected feel between steering wheel input and road wheel response.

It does not take away the fact that small corrections are required with cross-winds, or crowned roads, but it is predictable. I can correct without over-correcting.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't feel the steering is any heavier - I believe no-change. Feels same effort-wise but is definitely more precise, there is very little if any play in the system now. No compliance, wind-up, or disconnected feel between steering wheel input and road wheel response.

It does not take away the fact that small corrections are required with cross-winds, or crowned roads, but it is predictable. I can correct without over-correcting.
Pretty much my experience, and since my main problem was excess play on long drives @ high temps (in the 100 degree or more area) it remains to be seen how it will behave on those drives/temps. Probably won't know on that until next summer now, but I assume this issue has been addressed as that was one of the symptoms the old box is being replaced for :)

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Similar to very slightly heavier than stock AE box on mine. All stock suspension, etc. Very sure the dealer did the software in my case because they called me afterwards confused that I had bulb out warnings and stuff b/c I did an LED fender swap myself and the software update blew my settings away.

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Got mine completed the day before and it definitely feels more responsive. Kudos to @JeepCares for stepping in and getting it done as the dealer wasnt even interested in looking at the jeep with a MetalCloak lift kit and 37" tires.

The dealer performed the following:
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 1600963417189

I was told the power steering pump was "dated" and hence replaced. I did find that my steering isnt completely centered after the work was completed for which I am taking the jeep back. First attempt to "center" the steering wheel from tilting to the left yielded to it now tilting to the right. Never a dull moment with Jeep dealers....:)

Here are BEFORE pics:

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0799

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0800

AFTER pics:

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0812

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_0814

I will drive a bit more next few days for a little thorough analysis as I felt the loose steering mostly on highways and wandering on hotter days. Given that its not extremely hot anymore on the east coast I doubt I can really tell the difference with wandering till next year.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Brought my 2019 JLUR (with lift/bigger tires/upgraded steering components) into the dealership yesterday and was approved for the new steering box. Sounds like the parts are way out and it won't be a few months until I will have mine replaced.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got mine completed the day before and it definitely feels more responsive. Kudos to @JeepCares for stepping in and getting it done as the dealer wasnt even interested in looking at the jeep with a MetalCloak lift kit and 37" tires.

The dealer performed the following:
1600963417189.png

I was told the power steering pump was "dated" and hence replaced. I did find that my steering isnt completely centered after the work was completed for which I am taking the jeep back. First attempt to "center" the steering wheel from tilting to the left yielded to it now tilting to the right. Never a dull moment with Jeep dealers....:)

Here are BEFORE pics:

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

AFTER pics:

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

I will drive a bit more next few days for a little thorough analysis as I felt the loose steering mostly on highways and wandering on hotter days. Given that its not extremely hot anymore on the east coast I doubt I can really tell the difference with wandering till next year.
Darn, they reused the old AE bolts in yours :(
The new bolts are all the same size and stick out from the box about a 1/2".
In your parts list it doesn't list the 4 bolt set either :(

Mine had the proper box bolts but I have a strong suspicion they reused the I-shaft bolt, which is the one that is supposed to be replaced any time it's taken out :headbang:
Sponsored