Sponsored

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
I'm dealing with Marvin too and I have had nothing but a good experience with him. Stand up guy. I too have seen that the bolts always tend to come days if not a week later. Have had two Jeeps get the new box and the bolts always came after the new box. My dealership experience has been OUTSTANDING as well.
I completely agree about Marvin. He has also called to check on the status multiple times during all of this. And of course approved the repair in the first place.
Sponsored

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Got my Jeep back today after the dealer installed a new gear box under the Service Bulletin. It is the gear box ending in AA. I really don't see a difference, still have about 3/4 inch play in the steering. One thing to note though, I adjusted my old one (on the top) to about 3/4 inch play. I was hoping for no play with the new steering box in the steering but didn't get it. Oh well, I can drive it 75 on the interstate with that much play but have to add "if not windy".
About the same here.. it is a little more predictable. but still some play and not a "connected" enough feeling.. its almost like the power steering is "too good".. which i could feel a stronger connection between wheel and tires... its good enough though..solid on the highway..

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Got my Jeep back today after the dealer installed a new gear box under the Service Bulletin. It is the gear box ending in AA. I really don't see a difference, still have about 3/4 inch play in the steering. One thing to note though, I adjusted my old one (on the top) to about 3/4 inch play. I was hoping for no play with the new steering box in the steering but didn't get it. Oh well, I can drive it 75 on the interstate with that much play but have to add "if not windy".
About the same here.. it is a little more predictable. but still some play and not a "connected" enough feeling.. its almost like the power steering is "too good".. which i could feel a stronger connection between wheel and tires... its good enough though..solid on the highway..
Can you guys tell if the play is actually in the gearbox itself?

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Can you guys tell if the play is actually in the gearbox itself?
i think it might be more from the power steering... wheel needs to have a "heavier" more connected feel to it in my opinion. again..is slightly improved over AE box.. and running tires on 32lbs cold definitely improves feel

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
My dealer ordered the wrong box at first (a 4dr box instead of the proper 2dr), but it's in now and all's good!
Do you have the full part number for the new black steel steering box for the two door. Thanks

Sponsored

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
Interesting that how many people are calling the new black steering box the perfect solution, and some are having slight improvements over AE box. I have 2020 JLUR with factory AE box, it drives great but sometimes in hot weather it gets loose and wander (still manageable with little more effort than 2017 Grand Cherokee I had before). Should I get this TSB done now, or put Mopar Lift LCA and wait a bit?

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I finally took a drive with the updated steering box. Jeep is all over the place and steering is heavy. After pulling over and looking it appears someone took upon themselves to change the settings on my shocks and the stabilizer, basically front left and right rear where on the hardest setting and opposite corners on softest setting while the stabilizer was set to hard. Now that the shocks and stabilizer are adjusted I can say the new box is night and day, I can easily maintain my lane and there is no drifting or over correcting to bring the wheel back to center and there is no dead spot from center like the old box. Regarding the shocks I think they may have been trying different scenarios and driving conditions and forgot to change them back.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Interesting that how many people are calling the new black steering box the perfect solution, and some are having slight improvements over AE box. I have 2020 JLUR with factory AE box, it drives great but sometimes in hot weather it gets loose and wander (still manageable with little more effort than 2017 Grand Cherokee I had before). Should I get this TSB done now, or put Mopar Lift LCA and wait a bit?
I'd get the LCAs since you have a Rubicon (unless you plan to lift it higher). You can always get the TSB a bit later since your warranty should have quite a bit of time remaining.

Reactions: G13

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
I'd get the LCAs since you have a Rubicon (unless you plan to lift it higher). You can always get the TSB a bit later since your warranty should have quite a bit of time remaining.
I would suggest getting the new Box. There is no reason to expect having to drive your jeep more when it gets hot. Def do it before the lift so you don't get pushback from a dealer down the road. Also Yes. Get adjustable LCA's and kick your caster setting out a bit.

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Just got my back after getting the new cast iron box installed and I can confirm that it's a slightly mixed bag.

First and foremost, the repair absolutely takes care of the wandering and deadspot. The steering is MUCH more precise with very little play. It is akin to any vehicle I currently or previously owned. It also seems to have addressed the bit of bump steer that remained after my mods. That is not confirmed, but just based on limited amount of time driving home from dealership.

The downside, as some have mentioned, is that the boost with the new cast iron unit and programming makes the steering very light. It's good when giving tiny corrections/input, but just feels totally disconnected when actually turning. It's like you're driving a vehicle remotely and are not really mechanically connected. I definitely preferred the steering effort/feedback before.

The good news is that they've corrected a *problem* and just introduced a preference issue. It's definitely something I can get used to and don't mind doing so considering the trade off. Since it seems to just be over-boosted, hopefully it's something that can be adjusted via flashing and the aftermarket can address it at some point. Fingers crossed.

TL/DR; The TSB fixes the issue but overboosts the steering giving a 'too light' feeling. All-in-all, totally worth it.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
Just got the car back from the dealership after getting the tsb done. My drive from the dealership is about a mile away and I realized the steering was much more stiffer however I’ll see how it drives on the highway tmr on my way to work

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Hearing some reports of the really overly-light steering is certainly not my experience. Wondering why there are some differences here. I know for sure my dealer did the programming because some settings I had done for a LED light conversion got reset. I'm wondering if this is a product of not getting the right software?
Sponsored

Last edited: