Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Good News Bad News. The good, Jeep is done and all new parts have been installed after five days at the dealer. The Bad, had third knee surgery on Wednesday so I cannot verify the difference and my non mechanical son was more concerned about the chicks checking him out in my Jeep to notice the steering. At least the Jeep is home and the NEW updated hardware is installed.
I mean, if he was able to check them out we can assume it’s driving straight. :LOL:
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I mean, if he was able to check them out we can assume it’s driving straight. :LOL:
Dunno, these young folks are pretty good at multi-tasking :)

Jasper519

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Well, took mine to the dealer for the last wave oil change today. When I made the appointment earlier this week I also asked about this TSB. The scheduler told me, after I gave her the bulletin number, that the technician would have to see if it qualifies. When I showed up today, I had TSB in hand. Handed it to the service adviser, he told me I needed to voice a concern. I did, he logged it. They did the oil change and when it was done, he told me they’ve ordered all the parts including a trackbar and several other parts. As I was quite surprised when he mentioned the trackbar, I missed the other parts listed. He told me that in their experience, when the gear box goes bad, usually these other parts are bad too, so since it’s all under warranty, they’ll do them all at once. He expects the parts to be in in about 1 1/2-2 weeks.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well that was short lived. It's been about three weeks and now there is a clunk coming from the new steering box. Need to get it into the dealer to have it checked out. It's noticeable at low speeds like pulling into the garage, parking space or sitting still and turning the wheel.

On top of that, I had the box replaced in my Jeep and immediately noticed the electronic squeal from the hydro electric pump was louder. Barely noticeable before but now it is louder and doesn't immediately stop when the wheel is done turning. The pump continues to run even when your hands are off the wheel. Talked to dealer and have an apt. Tuesday, we both suspect it is software driven since there is a software update that goes with the new box. And guess what? When the tech did the work he forgot to update the software and did it the next morning while I waited. Can we say "in a rush."? I'm hoping it's that simple but regarding my wife's I'm guessing yet another new box.

Sponsored

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Just got my Jeep back. The steering is much better. Is more like a JK, feels right.
"Feels like a JK" is good steering? Lord. I had my 2020 scheduled to get this done, but I'm cancelling. So far mine steers way better than any of the stock JKs I've owned.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
"Feels like a JK" is good steering? Lord. I had my 2020 scheduled to get this done, but I'm cancelling. So far mine steers way better than any of the stock JKs I've owned.
If that's the case, I'd do exactly what you are doing. For me, my JK felt better on the highway. The JL now feels about the same, after the TSB. So yeah, the JK felt better, in my case, too.

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
The steering at low speed is tighter. At 70-80 there’s a lot less play. It ain’t no nascar but is definitely a must do.

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
If that's the case, I'd do exactly what you are doing. For me, my JK felt better on the highway. The JL now feels about the same, after the TSB. So yeah, the JK felt better, in my case, too.
Interesting since with my stock JKs, I always felt like I was fighting to keep them on the interstate when it was windy – it was exhausting on a long trip. With my JLURD, it seems completely unfazed by comparison with a high crosswind. Think I will leave well enough alone unless I start seeing issues at some point. Wonder if something about the diesel steering setup might be slightly different than the gassers.

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like they added a note to the TSB. This was uploaded this morning on FB Jeep group. I read as FCA telling dealers to stop jerking folks around with the types of lifts most on here have...

FFC4635A-5338-4744-A4F9-8E65758DE262.jpeg
Where can I find this to print it? Thanks

Sponsored

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
My Jeep is at bayside Jeep N.Y getting the steering tsb done now. I get to pick it up tmr I’ll keep you guys posted

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
I am out of warranty. Jeep Cares escalated my issue form this thread on the forum. I received a call from Marvin in Corporate this morning. 9/1/20. He has approved the repair. He has ordered the parts. And is in the process of contacting my local dealers Service Manager. To authorize the repairs. I could not be happier. 58,000 miles on my 2018 JLU Sport S.
A few updates:

on 9/2/20 Contacted by the Service Manager. He informed me that he had heard from Marvin at Corporate. The parts had been ordered but not received and an install appointment was made for 9/10/20.

9/8/20 I contacted the service manager via email. Asked if we were still set for install on the 10th.

9/9/20 Reveived email from the Service manager. He asked me to check on parts...
"J,
I just checked and we still have not received the part. You may want to call Chrysler back and see what is going on with this. I cant track the part order because we didn’t put the order in. Right now we are only eligible to order 1 of these steering gears every 14 days and we are not able to order one now until Sept 23rd. Chrysler should be able to get the order here faster if THEY put the order in."

9/9/20 I contacted Corporate. Not Marvin directly. Pulled the ticket number and did not see any shipping notes or that the parts were ever ordered. Rep informed me that the parts were just ordered and the dealer should see them by the 14th. I called the Service Manager and let him know. He said they did not receive parts on Mondays. And that he would contact me when they come in.

J,

9/11/20 Email from Service manager. "We received the replacement steering gear for your jeep however there are some additional bolts that have to be replaced per the technical service bulletin that Mopar backordered. We are not expecting the bolts until the 18th. I will get in touch with you as soon as we receive the parts. Sorry for the delay but we are at the mercy of our parts supplier on this one."

9/16/20 Revieved another email form Service manager.

"J,

I am scheduling you an appointment for next Tuesday, Sept. 22, to get the steering gear replaced on your jeep. Let me know if this day works for you or if you need to reschedule.

Thanks,"

9/22/20 Dropped off the Jeep this morning. Was pleasantly informed by the Service manager. "We may not get to it today. I'll let you know."

Now the wait begins. UHG. Why set a damn appointment if you're not going to get to the repair?. It is not like there hasn't been time to schedule this properly. I've been more than patient. Or just a quick phone call. Hey J, We are running behind and can't get to your repair today. Would you mind if we reschedule for whenever?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
A few updates:

on 9/2/20 Contacted by the Service Manager. He informed me that he had heard from Marvin at Corporate. The parts had been ordered but not received and an install appointment was made for 9/10/20.

9/8/20 I contacted the service manager via email. Asked if we were still set for install on the 10th.

9/9/20 Reveived email from the Service manager. He asked me to check on parts...
"J,
I just checked and we still have not received the part. You may want to call Chrysler back and see what is going on with this. I cant track the part order because we didn’t put the order in. Right now we are only eligible to order 1 of these steering gears every 14 days and we are not able to order one now until Sept 23rd. Chrysler should be able to get the order here faster if THEY put the order in."

9/9/20 I contacted Corporate. Not Marvin directly. Pulled the ticket number and did not see any shipping notes or that the parts were ever ordered. Rep informed me that the parts were just ordered and the dealer should see them by the 14th. I called the Service Manager and let him know. He said they did not receive parts on Mondays. And that he would contact me when they come in.

J,

9/11/20 Email from Service manager. "We received the replacement steering gear for your jeep however there are some additional bolts that have to be replaced per the technical service bulletin that Mopar backordered. We are not expecting the bolts until the 18th. I will get in touch with you as soon as we receive the parts. Sorry for the delay but we are at the mercy of our parts supplier on this one."

9/16/20 Revieved another email form Service manager.

"J,

I am scheduling you an appointment for next Tuesday, Sept. 22, to get the steering gear replaced on your jeep. Let me know if this day works for you or if you need to reschedule.

Thanks,"

9/22/20 Dropped off the Jeep this morning. Was pleasantly informed by the Service manager. "We may not get to it today. I'll let you know."

Now the wait begins. UHG. Why set a damn appointment if you're not going to get to the repair?. It is not like there hasn't been time to schedule this properly. I've been more than patient. Or just a quick phone call. Hey J, We are running behind and can't get to your repair today. Would you mind if we reschedule for whenever?
I'm dealing with Marvin too and I have had nothing but a good experience with him. Stand up guy. I too have seen that the bolts always tend to come days if not a week later. Have had two Jeeps get the new box and the bolts always came after the new box. My dealership experience has been OUTSTANDING as well.

FredC

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sport Unlimited
Got my Jeep back today after the dealer installed a new gear box under the Service Bulletin. It is the gear box ending in AA. I really don't see a difference, still have about 3/4 inch play in the steering. One thing to note though, I adjusted my old one (on the top) to about 3/4 inch play. I was hoping for no play with the new steering box in the steering but didn't get it. Oh well, I can drive it 75 on the interstate with that much play but have to add "if not windy".
Sponsored