Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Went in today for my "loose steering" check, they checked the jeep, trying to figure out the problem, I told them to check the TSB and that this was why I was here. After test driving with the mechanic in the jeep cause the "mouth to ear" phone game between the service rep and the mechanic, the mech had received the wrong symptoms and not the one I told the rep...so mechanic now understands what I was signaling and parts are ordered and they will call me when they're in.
Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Posted this on the sister thread to this one but....

Got mine back today after about a 2 week wait for parts. I'm glad I waited this out and did not throw aftermarket parts at it. Still 100% stock. My steering went from about 1-1.5" of slop (cold-hot) to nothing. This thing is really tight now....like rack & pinion tight.

Dealer did a really good job with most of the job, good alignment, no wander, straight wheel, tight bolts, fluid level, etc. Only issue is that they did damage my tie-rod boot at the pitman arm. It's ripped now. I really don't want to nit-pick since they did not give me any grief along the way and seems like they put more time into the Jeep than FCA pays them for.

I can't seem to find just the boot to replace anywhere. Anyone out there know it these can be bought separately?

Kudos to Jeep for actually taking action, now I just hope everyone out there with bad steering to begin with gets taken care of

Cookie Monster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLURT
Vehicle Showcase
Farrish Jeep in Fairfax, VA said they needed to inspect before they could order the parts. Yesterday, they inspected and agreed to order the tsb parts. They did not give me any trouble for my 2" lift. After cautioning me when I made the appt that the parts would take 4-6 weeks, the adviser during pickup mentioned the parts should be released for shipment in 3 days. We will see which it is.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Grrr. Took my Jeep in to the dealership this morning because the parts came in. Only to be told that they weren't sure they were going to actually do it. That now it required them to replicate the issue first. I got all irritated and talked to the service manager and told him that this was BS as the TSB directly states that if the customer says there is an issue, that it should be performed. Because it is not easy to replicate. But he said that it was FCA policy. And that the computer would rat on them if they didn't follow procedures.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like they added a note to the TSB. This was uploaded this morning on FB Jeep group. I read as FCA telling dealers to stop jerking folks around with the types of lifts most on here have...

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) FFC4635A-5338-4744-A4F9-8E65758DE262

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like they added a note to the TSB. This was uploaded this morning on FB Jeep group. I read as FCA telling dealers to stop jerking folks around with the types of lifts most on here have...

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) FFC4635A-5338-4744-A4F9-8E65758DE262
I actually read as the opposite, now dealer can just say your lift is not within specs, it is not going to fix it so we are not doing it.

Anyway, nice dealers will do nice things, weasel dealers will not turn into nice dealers because they added this paragraph.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I actually read as the opposite, now dealer can just say your lift is not within specs, it is not going to fix it so we are not doing it.

Anyway, nice dealers will do nice things, weasel dealers will not turn into nice dealers because they added this paragraph.
You could be on point. I guess the ask of dealer at that point would be to show me the alignment specs that proves out of parameters.

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
You could be on point. I guess the ask of dealer at that point would be to show me the alignment specs that proves out of parameters.
Correct. Presuming this is mostly referring to caster, that's something that could be remedied by the owner reasonably easily in many cases.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. Presuming this is mostly referring to caster, that's something that could be remedied by the owner reasonably easily in many cases.
Or Jeep could have spent a couple more pennies on adjustable caster bolts for the LCA and this would be a non-starter. But they designed JL to the very low end of acceptable caster with no way to adjust it. That's why you have plenty of people complaining about wandering on 100% stock jeeps, and lifting/bigger tires exacerbates the problem. It's the combination of a sloppy steering gear and not enough caster, you have to fix both and this TSB only fixes one.

100% stock with my tires at 32psi hot I had 5.3*L 4.9*R of caster. I don't know what it was with tires properly inflated to cold spec (which gave me ~39-40 psi hot), but I bet it was low 4's. Most people are seeing wandering start to be mitigated with high 5-low 6* caster settings which is not possible based on the stock design.

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Or Jeep could have spent a couple more pennies on adjustable caster bolts for the LCA and this would be a non-starter. But they designed JL to the very low end of acceptable caster with no way to adjust it. That's why you have plenty of people complaining about wandering on 100% stock jeeps, and lifting/bigger tires exacerbates the problem. It's the combination of a sloppy steering gear and not enough caster, you have to fix both and this TSB only fixes one.

100% stock with my tires at 32psi hot I had 5.3*L 4.9*R of caster. I don't know what it was with tires properly inflated to cold spec (which gave me ~39-40 psi hot), but I bet it was low 4's. Most people are seeing wandering start to be mitigated with high 5-low 6* caster settings which is not possible based on the stock design.
Absolutely agree. It's a disappointing design. Just pointing out that it's something that can be addressed if Stealerships try to use it as a reason to deny the TSB repair.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I bet you'd have to pay for the alignment, so more $ to the dealer.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Absolutely agree. It's a disappointing design.
At least it's only $70 and an hour of elbow grease to make it right :)
Not ideal, but IMO at least it's an easy fix.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Redrockjk
Got my new box installed today but bolts to the box were only torqued to about 40 ft pounds
:headbang:
:facepalm:
:no:
I torqued to 90 ft lbs for now (since I know the old aluminum box the torque was 99 ft lbs).

Is the new box still 99 ft. lbs or has that spec changed since the new box is cast iron?
TIA :)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase