Sponsored

nfran2

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I had my new steering box replaced and software updated on Wednesday 9/2. Driving it was quite different but I noticed that the steering wheel at any speed had a flat spot from 12 o'clock to about 1-2 o"clock. Weird to drive. Took it back on 9/11, service writer says definitely not normal but they were at a loss as to what is causing it. He said they were talking to the Jeep engineers about so I'm back in a rental until the issue gets resolved. Perhaps a "bad" new part, bad software update, who knows?
Sponsored

vaayl

First Name
Victoria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So I got a hold of the dealer, they told me that everything applicable to my VIN number has been fixed, but they will take another look at it next week.
I had a drag link replaced back on 8/31, not the steering box. I’m debating heading to a different dealership for the work and bringing the TSB notice with me.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I had my new steering box replaced and software updated on Wednesday 9/2. Driving it was quite different but I noticed that the steering wheel at any speed had a flat spot from 12 o'clock to about 1-2 o"clock. Weird to drive. Took it back on 9/11, service writer says definitely not normal but they were at a loss as to what is causing it. He said they were talking to the Jeep engineers about so I'm back in a rental until the issue gets resolved. Perhaps a "bad" new part, bad software update, who knows?
that is exactly what I have this flat spot so taking it back Tuesday

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If you do have the new box, also make sure they've used steel bolts x 4, and not reused the old bolts. Might also be an idea to check they've tightened them properly.

If you do have the new box, and it's attached with the correct bolts, and they're correctly tightened, you need to start looking elsewhere in your steering linkages for the play. This new box definitely fixes the standard steering problems everyone has been having.
The correct new bolts are black. The old bolts are silver. Someone reported on another steering thread that they have a newsteering box but 2 bolts are black 2 are silver and were not torqued to spec. Double whammy.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just had the TSB done. Is there a way to confirm if the software update was performed? It's not mentioned on my invoice. All the correct parts are listed and I was able to visually confirm the new steering gear is installed.
I’d like to also know if there is a way to find out if the software was updated. If you hold the driver’s side temperature up and down buttons at the same time it will put your JL into service mode. Maybe there is a menu that will show the software revision numbers and we could compare to a JL that hasn’t had the software update to one that has been updated correctly.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
The correct new bolts are black. The old bolts are silver. Someone reported on another steering thread that they have a newsteering box but 2 bolts are black 2 are silver and were not torqued to spec. Double whammy.
Slight correction: on the old box, two are silver and two are black. This is normal and correct for the old box. The aluminum bolts were needed for two of the anchor points because they screwed directly into the aluminum housing of the box. You don’t want to use steel for that, as the threads will corrode.
The new box, having a cast iron housing, has all four bolts steel.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Slight correction: on the old box, two are silver and two are black. This is normal and correct for the old box. The aluminum bolts were needed for two of the anchor points because they screwed directly into the aluminum housing of the box. You don’t want to use steel for that, as the threads will corrode.
The new box, having a cast iron housing, has all four bolts steel.
great info..thanks

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have to admit it drive a great deal better today, wondering if was just over analyzing, or if things just needed to settle into place after a bit of driving and a night of rest.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have to admit it drive a great deal better today, wondering if was just over analyzing, or if things just needed to settle into place after a bit of driving and a night of rest.

let us know if it ended up being all ok

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would say yes, it's driving pretty darn good.. and i still am running the tires to high.. i think it needed to settle in..
glad to hear it worked out.
mine will still wander just a hair, but i think it’s a bit my doing. After years of adjusting i still overthink the issue.
I did up my tires after it was done back up to 36 and didn’t like it. Went back to 33.
The caster adjustment was a help. Had this done before the TSB.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
glad to hear it worked out.
mine will still wander just a hair, but i think it’s a bit my doing. After years of adjusting i still overthink the issue.
I did up my tires after it was done back up to 36 and didn’t like it. Went back to 33.
The caster adjustment was a help. Had this done before the TSB.
Ya i have heavy 35's and a steering stabilizer, and track bar.. so it's a bit different than stock.. i do feel as i go into a corner at higher speed like a banked freeway.. it's kind of slow to go into the turn..
Sponsored