Sponsored

SaltyWet

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) WhatsApp Image 2020-09-06 at 3.50.49 AM

After doing the TSB saw the bolt colours were different on each side, went under to check and found this :mad: (they reused the bolts), are the new bolts just different lengths but same pitch (M12X1.50X111.80)? Don't want to go to the dealer again and restart this whole process..
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) WhatsApp Image 2020-09-06 at 3.50.49 AM

After doing the TSB saw the bolt colours were different on each side, went under to check and found this :mad: (they reused the bolts), are the new bolts just different lengths but same pitch (M12X1.50X111.80)? Don't want to go to the dealer again and restart this whole process..
Just buy the bolts and replace them one at a time. Dealerships are terrible.

SaltyWet

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Just buy the bolts and replace them one at a time. Dealerships are terrible.
Planning to do that, just want to know the difference with the bolts. If the pitch were different I might have to go back and have them replace to steering box again. If it's just the length then no big deal I'll fix it myself.

SaltyWet

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Link to TSB 08-074-20: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Update: Just got down with my 10 miles test drive and I’m happy to say that al of the steering issues are GONE!! Super excited to report that.

Wander and deadspot 100% gone in my jeep. No steering box brace only a Steersmarts Yeti HD trac bar. AEV 2.5 lift with 38in Milestars on Mopar Beadlocks

My impressions on video:​

New steering gear parts:

Can op confirm the bolt thread pitch with the old bolts if there is a difference?

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Planning to do that, just want to know the difference with the bolts. If the pitch were different I might have to go back and have them replace to steering box again. If it's just the length then no big deal I'll fix it myself.
They are the same except for length.

Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Got mine back and WOW. Drives like the Jeep should have from day one. The new steering gear and flash is fantastic. I cant get over how different the Jeep drives. I can now cruise with one finger on the steering wheel and no wandering at all. If anyone reading this is unsure whether or not to go through the hassle of doing it, get it done! You won't regret it.

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Got mine back and WOW. Drives like the Jeep should have from day one. The new steering gear and flash is fantastic. I cant get over how different the Jeep drives. I can now cruise with one finger on the steering wheel and no wandering at all. If anyone reading this is unsure whether or not to go through the hassle of doing it, get it done! You won't regret it.
I've been driving mine for a few days now post-TSB and you're right, it drives much better. I second it: go get it done if you can!

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That is the wrong steering gearbox. 68507569AA is the right part number. You need to tell them to reference TSB 08-074-20.
I called the dealer and spoke with the service advisor and they said the parts they ordered proceeded to the new part number and that the pump was ordered just incase if it needed to be replaced.

Can anyone share their description of work and parts post change?

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
I called the dealer and spoke with the service advisor and they said the parts they ordered proceeded to the new part number and that the pump was ordered just incase if it needed to be replaced.

Can anyone share their description of work and parts post change?
Sounds like they ordered you the wrong parts

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
DOH! Dealer ordered 4dr box :(
Says 2dr box will be in tomorrow so I'll get it done next week, if all goes well.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Well. He @Redrockjk is again providing evidence there can be good techs to be found :like: Sorry Dustin - had to post this info from FB group...

âť—JL Steering TSB & Synergy Steering Braceâť—

I had a chance today to work on my first JL four-door with a synergy steering box brace installed. Customer came to me in Minnesota all the way from Texas because dealers weren’t willing to work with him down there. I I can 100% confirm that the synergy brace will work with the new steering gear. Honestly you would not have to remove the steering box brace to take it in for the TSB. Literally took me five minutes longer to do the TSB procedure with the brace installed then without. While I had the adapter piece removed to do the TSB I noticed that the brass insert had spun on this customers synergy brace so I removed it and realigned the holes and applied Loctite to it. Happy to say that everything worked in conjunction with each other and the jeep drives dramatically different.

Edit - sorry gang, didn’t know @Redrockjk started a thread with this info.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-tsb-synergy-brace.57932/

Last edited:

Agswin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So if the TSB says "if the customer describes the symptoms/condition listed above, perform the repair procedure", why am I required to drive it 100 miles to the dealership for them to confirm the issue @JeepCares?

They should be able to just order the part and get me on the "2 week" list and then I can drive down once right? What am I missing?
Sponsored