Sponsored

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Well they didn’t do what I asked, but at least they left my steering stabilizer dangerously loose, thanks!

05FD6065-3F20-4F9B-BD0A-03906799D908.jpeg
Jesus. That’s why I’m going to take plenty of before and after pics. I have a feeling. The service manager isn’t going to be happy about going over his head about my repair.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Jesus. That’s why I’m going to take plenty of before and after pics. I have a feeling. The service manager isn’t going to be happy about going over his head about my repair.
Yea, I'm pretty much terrified to drive back to the dealership.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
I would be to. I’d have my torque specs out and going over every single bolt from mid frame forward.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I still have recall for SS and I already replaced with FOX 2.0 ATS. Just hoping they don’t rip my off and replace with recall :facepalm:

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Update on my previous post, Dealer here in PA told me that I have knobby tires ("my man" (that is what he called me))and they tested my JL against three other jeeps, while having two people drive it for over 30 minutes each. No steering issues.... I was told I need to contact Chrysler if I want to appeal. I guess this is when @JeepCares comes in....
Update on my update. It is the steering stabilizer that has to be replaced:mad:! Dealer refused to look at the service builtin and I was told "You have to contact Chrysler, this is not a warranty issue." General Manager stated "I had the same issue with my Gladiator and the updated SS fixed everything." I contacted @JeepCares and I hope someone can help, not feeling too confident about this dealership.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Taking mine in first thing tomorrow parts arrived yesterday. I hope I get it back by EOD.

jwk2

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Took my 19 in Monday morning, they had to drive it to verify the issue and then order parts. Parts were there Tuesday morning and I had it back that afternoon. Drives like a different vehicle, thanks for the information in this post! The service department had no clue about the TSB, I gave them the number in the link here and it was all covered.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Took my Sahara in today for the steering box TSB. The guy who was supposed to work on it was pulled to do a transmission. So it won’t be ready for a few days. But on the bright side they gave me a sweet ride.

E6FEE61B-092B-437A-BD91-956E1C7DB8D2.jpeg

42391AEB-C1F7-4173-9112-C711577D5248.jpeg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well they didn’t do what I asked, but at least they left my steering stabilizer dangerously loose, thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 42391AEB-C1F7-4173-9112-C711577D5248
Picked mine up monday. They straitened my steering wheel with the track bar... so thats awesome. How are dealer service departments so bad??

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
dropped mine off today so they could do it tomorrow. Hope they DONT test drive it since it drives pretty damn good as it sits now.

No push back except he was a little freaked out about removing the sector shaft since they never saw one before. I crawled under the Jeep with him and showed him the 3 bolts to remove plus i left him a copy if the install instructions and circled the items to be removed.

I think his team can figure it out from there and I also let him know if the TSB takes longer than anticipated he can add an hour to the bill and I will take care of it.

While there I also asked him about his interpretation of the TSB and other dealers insisting they test drive it. He gave me a very puzzled look and I think he was smiling behind the mask when he said that to their dealership its clear as a bell, if a customer complains ...you just do it. Not subject to any other interpretation. But he eluded its not a money maker and its more of a pain then its worth to them.
They have had very few customers even ask about it and they dont volunteer the info unless there is a specific steering complaint.

I'll know tomorrow if they had issues with the sector, I should have just pulled it myself but really didnt want to drop the track bar again or borrow the 42mm socket needed.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Picked mine up monday. They straitened my steering wheel with the track bar... so thats awesome. How are dealer service departments so bad??
uhh, what, how? It’s not even adjustable!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Rubicons have the double-whammy, the aluminum steering box that all the JLs have but also low caster. Low caster will rear it's ugly head on high speed drives w/ vague steering that isn't locked at center. Getting slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs will get your caster in the 6 degree range which is much better than your current 4.5 range.
Here's my install thread on that, best $70 you can spend (along w/ that new Steering box TSB for free!)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317
Plus bigger wheels/tires which help exasperate the slop in the aluminum box once it heats up!

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Plus bigger wheels/tires which help exasperate the slop in the aluminum box once it heats up!
Some of us are not that mechanically inclined, but there is a shim kit available (I think its made by Chamberlin) for about $ 35.00 I had it put on by 4WP and it took caster to 5.6 HUGE DIFFERENCE !

dana harding

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I just had the new TSB 08-074-20 new steering gearbox and the Electric Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) software update and the wandering is gone and the steering wheel play is gone. Drive straight and true with no more constant correction. Finally it drives like a Wrangler should!!
Sponsored