Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Dana Metal ball joints should last 100k miles. Of course all depending on your driving and offroad style.
Awesome. Thanks. I have no idea because I've never had a vehicle long enough to care. But I just put 20K miles on the JL and don't expect to get rid of it anytime soon. Whenever I replace, i'll probably do the dynatrac joints though. For 630$, its worth it to me to not have to deal with again. Especially with 37s and maybe 39s later and offset wheels.

https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable-ball-joints/jeep-wrangler-jl-and-gladiator-jt.html
Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I will be right over for the test drive :)
Seriously - glad to hear positive experience. What dealer? Thx
You are more than welcome to drive it anytime!
I used Terry at Grapevine. I was VERY hesitant bc they were the ones to tell me at 3,000 miles no issue. They did state to bring back once there was new information...like a new TSB. They fixed it with no back talk or issue. Jeep cares made sure to push the parts quickly and ensure the work got done.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
That is one of a number of things I said, in a polite and calm manner, to the service writer at Port Jeff Jeep on long Island, NY. His answer to that was that makes no sense. My response was that he could read it printed on the tsb, if he would just pull it up. He preferred asking irrelevant questions every time i asked him to look it up. I mean, I even started our interaction by mentioning the tsb by number and that having it pulled up in front of him would save us both a lot of time.

I might have to take a road trip to the OP's dealer, to have this done without needless drama. I'm currently a tick over 31k miles, so even if I've gotta pay out of pocket, it's better than having to revert the Jeep back to stock for the local dealer to even inspect it. When i again mentioned the tsb, concerning inspections not being required, his response was asking if i bought the Jeep there. That's when i had to thank him for the memorable help, and I walked.

It's sad that I'm possibly heading off on a 40+hour and 2500+ mile round trip, to get this done.
Get a hard copy of that TSB and ask to speak to the Service Director. You should not have to go on a road trip etc just to be taken care of. SMH wish you were down here where I am, I’d go with you and get you squared away

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So now I want make sure I that I’m not crazy, and that this is an example of loose steering. I think it is, however I’m coming from another FCA car - Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

88 deg F. 45 mph. Same, if not a little worse, at higher speeds
Yes. I think if I did that in my JL it would at the very least be rocking back and forth from the small jerking of the wheel like that. I say that and I have a 2020 from September with the aluminum steering box lol.

For dumb reasons though, I have my jeep sitting in the garage right now.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
So now I want make sure I that I’m not crazy, and that this is an example of loose steering. I think it is, however I’m coming from another FCA car - Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

88 deg F. 45 mph. Same, if not a little worse, at higher speeds
Check with the ignition switch turned off. See how much play the steering wheel has before you feel resistance. If it's about 1/8" (measured at circumference of the steering wheel) I think you will get dealer push back. If it's 1" there should be no questions asked. Power steering pump updates won't fix this, so don't let the dealer tell you that. You need to feel some resistance/torque on the steering wheel before the spool valve will open and allow fluid to flow.

You should also verify that this play is coming from the steering box. Check that the input shaft is turning, but the sector shaft is not (some paint pen marks and a helper will make this easy).

Sponsored

rodend

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL ecoDiesel
Check with the ignition switch turned off. See how much play the steering wheel has before you feel resistance. If it's about 1/8" (measured at circumference of the steering wheel) I think you will get dealer push back. If it's 1" there should be no questions asked.
Thanks.. Steering wheel definitely moves 1" or so to the left with the ignition off, and maybe .5" to the right...

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Thanks.. Steering wheel definitely moves 1" or so to the left with the ignition off, and maybe .5" to the right...
Check with the ignition switch turned off. See how much play the steering wheel has before you feel resistance. If it's about 1/8" (measured at circumference of the steering wheel) I think you will get dealer push back. If it's 1" there should be no questions asked. Power steering pump updates won't fix this, so don't let the dealer tell you that. You need to feel some resistance/torque on the steering wheel before the spool valve will open and allow fluid to flow.

You should also verify that this play is coming from the steering box. Check that the input shaft is turning, but the sector shaft is not (some paint pen marks and a helper will make this easy).
loose steering, pulling and wandering are all different problems, all related to the steering box.
i never complained about loose steering only the side to side wandering of the jeep.
You won’t get any hassle if you simply say it wanders and pulls.

CBRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Called and reported steering issue to dealer and referenced TSB. Dealer won't order parts until they see the vehicle and diagnose the problem themselves. Next appointment isn't for 2 weeks.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Called and reported steering issue to dealer and referenced TSB. Dealer won't order parts until they see the vehicle and diagnose the problem themselves. Next appointment isn't for 2 weeks.
Be sure to read the TSB carefully - IMO it gives you an automatic upper hand -- just state it primarily happens on hot days after prolonged driving. IOW claim conditions the dealer can't hardly duplicate, like driving for hours on a really hot day

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Not a problem if your willing to wait. If you are not experiencing real issues and are just looking to be proactive.

Sponsored

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My wife is afraid to drive it, my last 3 jeeps didn’t drive like this.
I wonder if anyone has reported this concern to NHTSA. I would think being a safety concern, seems like it should be elevated to a Vehicle Recall.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Had another chat with service today. I was able to "convince" the service mgr to move forward. Even though they would work with me on the mods, they still kept a stance of potential mod contribution. I stated that $1200 in steering parts will help "mask the issue" and that we only have noticed it after prolonged driving and on the trails. At any rate, we are going to move forward. Will post updates. This thread has helped a ton on the awareness of this issue. Good job all!

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Called my dealership in PA and stated the Jeep wanders and has loose steering. Service advisor asked if I take the Jeep on long trips? I told him I take it back and forth to work, about 15 miles and he replied "that is a long trip to me, bring it in next Tuesday". I'll post about my experience when all work is completed.

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Had another chat with service today. I was able to "convince" the service mgr to move forward. Even though they would work with me on the mods, they still kept a stance of potential mod contribution. I stated that $1200 in steering parts will help "mask the issue" and that we only have noticed it after prolonged driving and on the trails. At any rate, we are going to move forward. Will post updates. This thread has helped a ton on the awareness of this issue. Good job all!
Blaming aftermarket mods has been the #1 go to for dealers/mfgs to avoid warranty repairs as long as aftermarket mods have existed - Not without merit; certainly they can be problematic. But it's just 'muscle memory' for them at this point.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Blaming aftermarket mods has been the #1 go to for dealers/mfgs to avoid warranty repairs as long as aftermarket mods have existed - Not without merit; certainly they can be problematic. But it's just 'muscle memory' for them at this point.
I know and it sucks. I bought both of ours the same day (custom order) from my 2 friends that own the dealer.....telling them the intentions of these Jeeps. They stated that their service dept will 100% work with me. Odd that i had to name-drop to get them to move forward. Shouldnt be that hard. I also relayed that some of those aftermarket parts help mask the issue. They just dont know enough. You guys out there that have great/easy experiences - you have no idea how lucky you have it :)
Sponsored