Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
FIXED!!!!
THIS TSB and cast iron steering box fixed the jeep. It feels like a normal driving jeep now. No wandering up to 75 mph and minimal to no dead spot. Amazing! Went from irritated as hell to happy.

Background. 3" lift 35" tires. Synergy tie rod, drag link sector shaft/track bar brace and rancho geometry correction bracket. Performed power steering fuse technique reset. Caster @ 5. None of that stuff helped ($3000 with labor and 2 months in 4wd shop given back ordered parts).

The only thing that worked was the new steering box.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ok. I was about to say screw it and buy an ultimate 44 or sell the jeep, my wife's favorite option. Haha. I'll give this a try. I do hate torquing the steer smart tie rod ends.
You and me are in the same boat it sounds like. I was able to toe out and get my death wobble to stop. Something still feels loose or something. Had 2 people check it and all is good. I get my steering box Monday. If that doesn’t resolve I might see what a shop will charge for dynatrac ball joint install.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You and me are in the same boat it sounds like. I was able to toe out and get my death wobble to stop. Something still feels loose or something. Had 2 people check it and all is good. I get my steering box Monday. If that doesn’t resolve I might see what a shop will charge for dynatrac ball joint install.
Dana also has a set of heavy duty ball joints. They are a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Dana also has a set of heavy duty ball joints. They are a couple hundred dollars cheaper.
But they’re not rebuildable. Not sure how long ball joints are supposed to last. But if planning on owning long term, I was thinking do it right once.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
Has anyone had success with any dealerships in FL? I am getting a complete run around about my lift so they are giving me a hard time regarding the TSB.
I just took mine yesterday for her 2nd Oil Change and to patch a tire and while my service advisor was getting it written up went to the Service Director there and showed him the TSB.

After having me drive with a service manager (where we both drove), the SM confirmed the wandering and right pull so its in for repair now.

They told me I am the second Jeep they have had with this issue that they are going to fix.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Called my Dealership here in NY, told them about the TSB and the flighty steering I have(ps this was the first time I brought up steering issues), they looked up the TSB confirmed my Jeep falls within "spec" and told me they are going to order the new steering box.

No hassle, no trying to convince anyone, just a simple call.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Just dropped mine off a few hours ago, should have it back later today. I forgot how shitty this thing drove without the brace on it!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My dealer didn't say anything about my mods. I've replaced everything steering and suspension related except for the box. They installed to new one even with the track bar brace still on. It's worth a shot taking it in. They technically have to prove that the stuff you've done messed up the steering box.
In a similar spot and after initially having the dealership push back on doing it they seem to be cooperating thus far. Waiting on parts to arrive.....

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I think that's one of them right there. HD metal on metal and greasable ball joints. Maybe paired with iron knuckles?
Iron knuckles are on the Mohave. I was under one this week and they are definitely iron. Painted/coated black.

rodend

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL ecoDiesel
Also PM'd JeepCares, as my dealer is trying to tell me that the TSB is VIN specific (it's not, at least how I read it) and has to be inspected. They are refusing to do the work until they have "inspected" this.

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Also PM'd JeepCares, as my dealer is trying to tell me that the TSB is VIN specific (it's not, at least how I read it) and has to be inspected. They are refusing to do the work until they have "inspected" this.
That's a new tactic. Perhaps they could show you where it says that (cause it doesn't).

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It is VIN specific. Every VIN needs it, up to the 2021's coming off the line ;)

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just dropped ours off today and i'm already getting challenged. Our case is not bad, but we can notice the deadspot and constant need to center into the lane. I dont know why theres so much scrutiny with this one. Does anyone have any "magic words" they used with their Service Mgrs?
Sponsored