Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If you own a JL then this TSB applies. Show them a copy of the TsB photos floating around
Do any newly built wranglers have the updated steering box from the factory?
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I forgot to mention the difference between unmarrying and just simply removing.

drvn is spot on, unmarried reverts to stock. Simply removing the unit will cease live features, but leave the reprogramming for lights and such.

I would recommend paging the OP, who is a Jeep tech, and see what he says about your changes, hoag4147.
To be safe I am going to unmarry. If Tazer decides not to save my changes in memory for when I reinstall, not a big deal, I have all changes noted. I am more worried about error codes appearing after unmarrying since I have swapped all lighting to LEDs and creating some type of issue for service shop to upload new code. Thanks all for the input...

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Link to TSB 08-074-20: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Update: Just got down with my 10 miles test drive and I’m happy to say that al of the steering issues are GONE!! Super excited to report that.

Wander and deadspot 100% gone in my jeep. No steering box brace only a Steersmarts Yeti HD trac bar. AEV 2.5 lift with 38in Milestars on Mopar Beadlocks

My impressions on video:​

New steering gear parts:

2D107EB2-5FD0-45C9-A127-80C5DB2D32C7.jpeg
0701AC6D-DD15-4287-A454-C7D5C5A4772F.jpeg
Perhaps I’ve missed the answer to the following question, so forgive me if that’s the case.

Just spoke with the parts department at my dealer and he said they have my order and that it’s a “pump”. Is it possible they’re missing parts of my order or he just kept it generic as the bulk replacement item is the pump

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Here is my nightmare experience with the "loose steering":

- Purchased 2020 JLUR on 9/13/19 from https://www.fitzpatrickschryslerjeep.com/

- Drive home I couldn't keep the jeep straight and it felt like a constant battle staying in a lane.

- Brought the jeep to a local dealer https://www.globalautomall.com/ on 09/27/19. The service manager at Global Auto Mall basically told me that "it drives just like how a jeep is supposed to". He also claimed he took a ride in the jeep with me and I was not even informed about the road test. So they either did NOT test drive the jeep or they test drove it without me in the jeep to showcase what I experience.

- 10/14/19 opened a "loose steering wheel" case with FCA (case # 75712549)

- No Update from FCA Group so I Called in on 2/20/20 only to be notified that the previous case
(75712549) has been closed due to "no resolution". The rep on the phone opens another case - 75712549. I email FCA group back and forth and I was advised to take the jeep into another dealer for assessment on 3/16/20. Things were starting to close around that time anyways due to CV-19 so I decided to wait.

- I get the jeep lifted with a 2.5 MetalCloak lift and new wheels with 37" BFG KO2 tires on 7/27/20

- 8/10/20 FCA announces tsb-08-074-20 so I contact FCA Group again on 8/12/20. I am informed that case # 75712549 is also closed.

- I opened another case (76933493) on 8/12/20 and the new advisor suggests taking the jeep into another dealer. I bring the jeep into Autoland, Springfield, NJ dealership for tsb-08-074-20 only to be told by the service manager that the "jeep is modified and that they wont even touch it"

- On 8/21/20 this is what the FCA Group advisor wrote to me in an email:

"The dealership will not be able to diagnose the vehicle with the aftermarket Lift Kit especially since it is not MOPAR. The only way that it would be able to be diagnosed would be returning the vehicle to stock. Would this be something you are able to do?"

@JeepCares , can someone please assist? Is this FCA's stance on jeep's that have lift kits?
@JeepCares , can anyone please help in this matter?

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well, the dealership called me after test driving. They said they reviewed the TSB and approved the fix. On a waiting list to be called when parts come in. But, at least no push back from the tech at all.

Sponsored

sapperof2

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My current situation:

Well, I dropped off my new 20' JLUR that I got two weeks ago, yesterday. I got a call today saying that they test drove it and that "it drives like a Jeep." Which is what I was anticipating for them to say.

The Service Advisor told me that the tech recommends I get an aftermarket steering stabilizer from FOX. That it would help out with the "steering" that I'm experiencing. Well, I told them that if I'm experiencing wandering and now there tech recommends I buy and aftermarket part to fix it. Wouldn't that qualify me for the TSB? Fast forward two hours later, I call back, they said the parts are on order, will be here tomorrow (26AUG20) and that it'll be fixed. Stated, that the mechanic was not aware of the TSB and that the advisor took the TSB to the mechanic for verification.

BS or not, I don't care. At least she is being fixed and I can get back to enjoying this Jeep with my family.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My steering on my 2019 JLUR is fine. I am concerned about steering issues after a lift in the future, because FCA could then deny the TSB based on the lift. Has anyone experienced steering issues only after a lift? I have a good relationship with my dealer and could probably get this to replace my steering box.

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
i'd send them a PM.
i have an appointment at Fullerton in Somerville tomorrow and i'll let you know how that goes for me.
That would be amazing. Thank you so much.

I finally called into JeepCares. Turns out JeepCares and JeepWave are the same thing. They "escalated" my request and I should be getting a call from someone soon (I hope).

KodeMechanic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm in Missouri and took my 2020 JLUR in yesterday morning for service. The service manager asked to keep it overnight because the part would be in today. Sure enough I got it back around noon today with the new steering gear TSB fix. I can definitely tell a difference. Drives more like my previous jeeps now.

Haven't had a wrangler for about 18 years and days after purchasing I thought the steering was off, but then just assumed I had lost the feel for how a jeep drives. Only took getting it on the highway for about 10 mins to discover the steering wasn't acceptable. I planned to get it looked at when I took it in for the first oil change and then Covid hit so now is the first time I had it in for service.

Attached are the service notes and my initial comments to get er done.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) Service Request

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) Service Completed

Sponsored

05RUMBLE

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2004 SRT 10 Ram 2018 Chev LTZ HD
I dropped my 2020 JLUR off this morning for the loose steering TSB and happy to say that it is a whole different Jeep now. Steering is very responsive with a heavy feel and the 2" of free play is gone. Finally drives like previous Jeep's I have had.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
i’m scheduled for next thursday. no BS from the dealer he already had it ordered for me before i showed up to discuss. i will have them leave the sector shaft brace on the frame but pull the rest off.
overall mine drives about 90% right and bumping the caster up made a huge difference. this should push the steering to 100% of what i expect. with the new gear box, Falcon stabilize, Yeti track bar... i have high hopes.
Im psyched.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Got to drive mine more on the highway the last couple days. There is definitely an improvement compared to the old steering box. It does still wander around on the highway over 65 mph. It's easier to correct now. It still feels like a ball joint problem but I have no play in them. Maybe it's my tires?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Just left the dealership all pissed off. Some background information. I work all over West Texas. So this is a dealer that I have not been to before, and definitely won't return to either. It takes me 3 hours to get to this dealership as well. I called this morning and asked if they had heard about the TSB, had no idea what I was talking about. But I had some other business in that town and they have the closest HEB. So I stopped by in the afternoon when I finished my other things that I was doing. I had no idea what service writer I talked to, so I asked if the one that was free knew what I was talking about. He gave me a deer in the headlights look, so I filled him in. Explained the issue, gave him the TSB and said that he would need to see when his parts people could get the parts in. He came back and told me that I would have to come back later for a technician to verify the problem. I explained that I do occasionally have work there, but not often. And I really did not want to drive 3 hours to get there just for his tech to go, yup it drives like a Jeep. I pointed out that the TSB clearly states that if the customer has wandering issues that they are supposed to take action. He laughed and said that they can't just take my word for it. I explained that this was my 5th Jeep, and that I am a skilled Diesel Technician, I explained exactly what was going on with the poor factory caster causing the bad return to center, the small PS reservoir that does not hold enough fluid to help dissipate the heat that builds up, and the aluminum box that allows the steering to wander when these conditions are present and the fluid is hot. Yet still, he wanted me to drive back and forth and refused to even consider ordering the parts or getting someone to look at my Jeep today. Claimed that they had to scan it first. So @JeepCares will I have better luck in El Paso, Carlsbad, or Ft Stockton. All of these are several hours away, so I don't really care about the closest, I want to deal with people who are willing to do their job.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
that pretty much sucks and it’s the perfect opportunity for jeep cares to intervene and instruct the dealer to get the part installed for you. Past TSB instruct the dealer to test drive the vehicle and make a diagnosis....this one does not.

Many people (i assume) will have no issues with the dealer doing the TSB without any grief simply because the dealer knows them. In my instance they know me and the history of issues with steering over the past 2 years, so there was zero issues with scheduling the upgrade.
Had you been to this dealership in the past with complaints they may have reacted a little less defensively.

JeepCares can take the initiative to make a call and prequality your repair..
Sponsored