Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For once you beat me to something :CWL:
:party:..........I thought it’s a good idea to order now, that way if they take as long as my shocks to get here , I’ll be ready for them by then....lol.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
:party:..........I thought it’s a good idea to order now, that way if they take as long as my shocks to get here , I’ll be ready for them by then....lol.
Hahaha good to be proactive, if they come too soon ill buy them off you for 20 dollars less :LOL:

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Switching out the box is the easy part, but the software magic is my dead end.

I go to my closest dealer for oil filters only. I always end up with a couple to a few employees gathered around looking at my Jeep by the time i get out of the parts dept. Mostly praise and compliments, but have gotten a couple comments about how I definitely must not care about warranties. I'll have to poke around and see what I can scare up.

Worst case, I'll have an excuse for a road trip to your neck of the woods. Lol
I understand the SW is in the new power steering module which is swapped out as well.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Heck yes. I've been waiting for this for 2 and a half years. The Jeep is out of warranty so I had to just suck it up and order the part. Which kind of sucks since I've been complaining to the dealer since the Jeep was new. If they issued a TSB with a redesigned gear box, then they are admitting that they messed up in the first place. Should be a recall.

$750 including fluid and bolts. I'll throw it on next week and let everyone know how it goes.
Mine is under warranty but I may just pay that to not have to talk to the dealer my time is worth more.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
****** Attention: Those who upgrade to the new steering box, make sure they also replace the one-time use bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box. If they re-use the same bolt, it can come loose per the tech manual. The part number is 6506950AA which is $3.50. **********

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) onetimebolt

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Well, too bad it's not a recall. People who are out of warranty getting screwed (or those who are not on this forum and decided to live with it).

Since I have no warranty, I went ahead and adjusted my aluminum steering box yesterday by 1/8 of a turn. Eliminated majority of the dead spot, maybe 1/4" now instead of 1".
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 20200820_190627

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I told my dealer it wandered and the steering felt vague; they did a short test, confirmed my complaints, and ordered.
Pretty much the same for me, although the tech said the steering was normal for having larger tires, etc. I showed the TSB to the service manager (explained that excess steering play on hot, long drives) and a few minutes later the parts were getting ordered.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Pretty much the same for me, although the tech said the steering was normal for having larger tires, etc. I showed the TSB to the service manager (explained that excess steering play on hot, long drives) and a few minutes later the parts were getting ordered.
TBH I was somewhat surprised they "confirmed" my complaints because of how widespread this is and how some places have passed it off as "driving as intended." But hey, this dealer has been great so far, I'm just not used to dealers having my "back" whatsoever lol.

azarmyguy918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
No need for a bandaid, if the wound is properly healed. Keep the track bar reinforcement bracket, and not reinstall the brace section.
Yeah but figured since I spent the money might as well leave it on there... couldn’t hurt anything... just wanted to see if the new bolts work with everything.

Sponsored

azarmyguy918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Why do you want that crappy

Do you have any mods, if not, then you should be very safe and unless your dealer is a shady fuck place, in that case you probably don't want them to perform the repair anyway.

If you have mods, then the best shot will be contacting them but not mentioning the mods. If they insist test drive and deny the service, contact Jeepcare here.
Because I paid for it... so the brace doesn’t do anything with the new box?

Skip1024

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Looks like they didn't replace the one-time use bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box. You should bring it back to have them replace it. If they re-used the same bolt, it can come loose per the tech manual. The part number is 6506950AA which is $3.50.
looks like they did to me. that part number is on the work order as Hex Screw

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Hahaha good to be proactive, if they come too soon ill buy them off you for 20 dollars less :LOL:
Are you going to try and get the dealer to warranty the new steering box? I brought mine in several times for loose steering 2 years ago before heavy modding.

Skip1024

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Heck yes. I've been waiting for this for 2 and a half years. The Jeep is out of warranty so I had to just suck it up and order the part. Which kind of sucks since I've been complaining to the dealer since the Jeep was new. If they issued a TSB with a redesigned gear box, then they are admitting that they messed up in the first place. Should be a recall.

$750 including fluid and bolts. I'll throw it on next week and let everyone know how it goes.
From what I know you will also need to flash the firmware on the computer to match the new gear?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Are you going to try and get the dealer to warranty the new steering box? I brought mine in several times for loose steering 2 years ago before heavy modding.
Yeah they already sent the dealer one scheduled for tuesday. I didnt bring it in fca helped me out
Sponsored