Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Heck yes. I've been waiting for this for 2 and a half years. The Jeep is out of warranty so I had to just suck it up and order the part. Which kind of sucks since I've been complaining to the dealer since the Jeep was new. If they issued a TSB with a redesigned gear box, then they are admitting that they messed up in the first place. Should be a recall.

$750 including fluid and bolts. I'll throw it on next week and let everyone know how it goes.
So sorry to hear this! I'm wondering if you could escalate this with FCA / jeepcares and get them to pay for it? Since your dealership should have documented your 2.5 years of steering issue complaints.
Sponsored

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Heck yes. I've been waiting for this for 2 and a half years. The Jeep is out of warranty so I had to just suck it up and order the part. Which kind of sucks since I've been complaining to the dealer since the Jeep was new. If they issued a TSB with a redesigned gear box, then they are admitting that they messed up in the first place. Should be a recall.

$750 including fluid and bolts. I'll throw it on next week and let everyone know how it goes.
Ford did this with the AC on 15-17 Mustangs and it's one of the reasons why I was happy to leave them. Not a fan of FCA following suit, tbh.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Do you know what the dealership's criteria was for approval? I assume they don't just take our word that our JL needs the new steering gearbox...
That depends on the dealer. I have a 2020 JLUR, 5300 miles, never once said anything about the steering because I knew there was no good fix. Walked into the dealer I bought it from, handed the service manager the TSB, he asked if the jeep wandered, I said yes, he wrote down the vin and got on the computer, handed me the TSB back a few seconds later and said they would call me when the parts were in. That was yesterday and I got a call today they just showed up, going in on Thursday to get it replaced. They never drove it and barely even looked at it.

Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon

$750 including the new gear? That's actually not that bad.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I can't locate this part number on the moparts site. Anyone know when it might be available for purchase and where from?

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I can't locate this part number on the moparts site. Anyone know when it might be available for purchase and where from?
I couldn't find it online either. Just call up a dealership parts department and give the number to them. They should be able to order it.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
That depends on the dealer. I have a 2020 JLUR, 5300 miles, never once said anything about the steering because I knew there was no good fix. Walked into the dealer I bought it from, handed the service manager the TSB, he asked if the jeep wandered, I said yes, he wrote down the vin and got on the computer, handed me the TSB back a few seconds later and said they would call me when the parts were in. That was yesterday and I got a call today they just showed up, going in on Thursday to get it replaced. They never drove it and barely even looked at it.
I told my dealer it wandered and the steering felt vague; they did a short test, confirmed my complaints, and ordered.

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
Do you know what the dealership's criteria was for approval? I assume they don't just take our word that our JL needs the new steering gearbox...
this would be the third time that I’ve brought it to them for the loose wandering problem in which they’ve concluded it was normal. The first two times it was bone stock. This time around I have a lift so I was kinda skeptical on what they would say. I worked with the same service advisor so he knows my concerns. I explained to him this is the fix. After 3 days he finally got back to me and said they have the parts orders. Tbh, if they were gonna give me slack, I would have taken it up to fca. I didn’t spend 50+k for a vehicle that drove like this

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.cheapjeeppartsonline.co...ine--front-axle-housing-differential-and-vent

Looks like you can get both of them under $700.

Edit: When you click on the knuckle it shows for Mojave and rubicon. Might not be the steel one.
That one still uses the spacer so im not sure if its forged or not, i havent seen the new mojave in person to see if it still uses that sleeve, i was hoping not. But also reid racing will be releasing thier steel knuckles in a week or so $279 each with hi steer option.

i take that back just found a picture of a mojave, they do infact still use that spacer. Which is an extra 140 dollars for the two if the stock ones dont carry over

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
Why do you want that crappy

Do you have any mods, if not, then you should be very safe and unless your dealer is a shady fuck place, in that case you probably don't want them to perform the repair anyway.

If you have mods, then the best shot will be contacting them but not mentioning the mods. If they insist test drive and deny the service, contact Jeepcare here.
At the moment I don’t have any suspension mods (haven’t put lift or 38’s on yet or anything) so it’s still stock other than mishimoto parts and lightbars.
Thanks for the reply!

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
At the moment I don’t have any suspension mods (haven’t put lift or 38’s on yet or anything) so it’s still stock other than mishimoto parts and lightbars.
Thanks for the reply!
Oh the light bars are definitely causing your steering issues, case closed, go home!

----dealer probably

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Are any vendors offering metal ball joints that you can grease for the JL? Maybe Synergy or someone like that? Mine are fine, but at 96k miles I upgraded my JK to metal ball joints and it made a HUGE difference. Made it better than new.
I have a set of Dynatrac HD ball joints on the way .....:like: