OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Can ya give us a hint of the 'few' front end upgrades...?

I have already upgraded the trackbar, drag link and tie rod to Steer Smarts and super happy with these! Without a doubt these were a huge improvement.
I also torqued my lower ball joints to 33 ft pounds, drivers side was close while passenger side did not even have the factory blue torque marks and was quite loose. They are still the nylon inserted ball joints however...
In a few weeks I can share
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Can ya give us a hint of the 'few' front end upgrades...?

I have already upgraded the trackbar, drag link and tie rod to Steer Smarts and super happy with these! Without a doubt these were a huge improvement.
I also torqued my lower ball joints to 33 ft pounds, drivers side was close while passenger side did not even have the factory blue torque marks and was quite loose. They are still the nylon inserted ball joints however...
I think that's one of them right there. HD metal on metal and greasable ball joints. Maybe paired with iron knuckles?

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's one of them right there. HD metal on metal and greasable ball joints. Maybe paired with iron knuckles?
You can actually buy the Mojave knuckles from Mopar, they are made of steels, just needs to find the part #.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Are any vendors offering metal ball joints that you can grease for the JL? Maybe Synergy or someone like that? Mine are fine, but at 96k miles I upgraded my JK to metal ball joints and it made a HUGE difference. Made it better than new.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your dealer has to do the update on the EPS module (electronic power steering)
What state are you located in? If I have no luck with finding a local mod friendly dealer, you're next youtube installment might be filmed from my driver's seat. Lol

And thanks for posting here. Very much appreciated!

Sponsored

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
So has anybody gotten this replaced that's over 36,000 miles? BS that it wouldn't be fixed considering it's something they completely f'd up on from the factory. This should be a safety/recall fix. My steering is all over the place, has been since new, but apparently since I lifted my jeep and put bigger tires on it that's causing it to wander and pull. My local Autonation dealer SUCKS.

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
After 3 days of nerve-racking wait, it got approved and parts are supposed to be here end of next week or beginning of the next.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are any vendors offering metal ball joints that you can grease for the JL? Maybe Synergy or someone like that? Mine are fine, but at 96k miles I upgraded my JK to metal ball joints and it made a HUGE difference. Made it better than new.
Yes, a bunch actually. I'm not crazy about Synergys version, because they seem to have designed some kind of preload in its assembly. Dana seems like a simpler one, but I've yet to research to heavily into them. I do know they are offered in both knurled and unknurled flavors. The former to be used in worn knuckle bores.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Heck yes. I've been waiting for this for 2 and a half years. The Jeep is out of warranty so I had to just suck it up and order the part. Which kind of sucks since I've been complaining to the dealer since the Jeep was new. If they issued a TSB with a redesigned gear box, then they are admitting that they messed up in the first place. Should be a recall.

$750 including fluid and bolts. I'll throw it on next week and let everyone know how it goes.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
After 3 days of nerve-racking wait, it got approved and parts are supposed to be here end of next week or beginning of the next.
Do you know what the dealership's criteria was for approval? I assume they don't just take our word that our JL needs the new steering gearbox...

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Link to TSB 08-074-20: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Update: Just got down with my 10 miles test drive and I’m happy to say that al of the steering issues are GONE!! Super excited to report that.

Wander and deadspot 100% gone in my jeep. No steering box brace only a Steersmarts Yeti HD trac bar. AEV 2.5 lift with 38in Milestars on Mopar Beadlocks

My impressions on video:​

New steering gear parts:

2D107EB2-5FD0-45C9-A127-80C5DB2D32C7.jpeg
0701AC6D-DD15-4287-A454-C7D5C5A4772F.jpeg
Thanks for the update, pictures, video and encouraging words! My JLU is at the dealer right now with a laundry list of warranty work, one of which is this TSB. When I showed the service writer the TSB, he read it and said it was the first he heard of it... so, we'll see.
Sponsored