Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Just drove back from the dealership with the new steering gear installed.

It is clearly MUCH BETTER than before with original aluminum gear installed. It drives straighter with no wander, the steering wheel feels firmer and requires much less adjustment while driving. I didn't realize how much constant adjustment was required before just to keep it in the lane. I still need to get it on the highway for a longer drive to be sure.

It does require a little more energy at lower speeds to turn the steering wheel than before, and I absolutely love this!

I hope this is encouraging for those considering this update.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Tuttle Click in Irvine. These guys really do their best to do the right thing.
Oh that’s where mine is! Hopefully they’ll do mine correctly too this time. How’s your steering fluid level? Mine was low once the engine cooled down.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Oh that’s where mine is! Hopefully they’ll do mine correctly too this time. How’s your steering fluid level? Mine was low once the engine cooled down.
We may have crossed paths at Tuttle Click then... I dropped it off yesterday and picked it up with the new gear today. Let us know how your installation goes.

The steering fluid level looks good (warm). I'll check it again in the morning.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Just stopped Westgate CJDR in Raleigh and the service manager, Fernando, was very helpful. The advisor brought the printout to him and he was well aware of it. Threw my name on the list (there are four JLUs ahead of me) and told me I might be looking at the end of the year since it’s still one order every 14 days. Mine is not bad (from what I can tell) but I am getting ahead of it before next summer.

I am definitely in the minority but should I return mine to stock if I used the Superchips Flashcal to enter my new tire size? That’s all I’ve done so far but I do have their gateway module plugged in above the OBD2 port. There have been no other adjustments other than tire size.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just stopped Westgate CJDR in Raleigh and the service manager, Fernando, was very helpful. The advisor brought the printout to him and he was well aware of it. Threw my name on the list (there are four JLUs ahead of me) and told me I might be looking at the end of the year since it’s still one order every 14 days. Mine is not bad (from what I can tell) but I am getting ahead of it before next summer.

I am definitely in the minority but should I return mine to stock if I used the Superchips Flashcal to enter my new tire size? That’s all I’ve done so far but I do have their gateway module plugged in above the OBD2 port. There have been no other adjustments other than tire size.
Great to hear dealer willing to work with you. Recommended by everyone on here is to always remove tuners before service at dealer.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
@Jennalee - was it Tuttle Click that installed the wrong 4dr gear on your 2dr? If so, was it around the 1st week of October?

My original scheduled appointment for the gear replacement was unsuccessful because the new 4dr steering gear went "missing". The parts department could not locate the ordered part for my 4dr.

Last edited:

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I took my Ecodiesel Rubicon for this TSB and they are telling me it isn’t included. Anyone here have the 3.0 diesel and had the work done?
I spoke with jeep cares and was told that the issue is the steering box for the diesel will not be available until sometime in December. I was given a link for the box and will post it here. Jeep cares said that as soon as it is available I will be told.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) Screenshot_20201020-094601_Chrome

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Great to hear dealer willing to work with you. Recommended by everyone on here is to always remove tuners before service at dealer.
Got it. Guess I was wondering if there’d be an exception since mine was more calibration vs. tuning but probably best to err on the side of caution.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Got it. Guess I was wondering if there’d be an exception since mine was more calibration vs. tuning but probably best to err on the side of caution.
I remove my superchips from my GMC when servicing in fear they overwrite program. Definitely better safe then sorry.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

I was really impressed with Westgate as a buyer. Unfortunately, they are too far away for me to go back for the TSB. I don't have much confidence in the locals, so I'm doing it myself.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jennalee - was it Tuttle Click that installed the wrong 4dr gear on your 2dr? If so, was it around the 1st week of October?

My original scheduled appointment for the gear replacement was unsuccessful because the new 4dr steering gear went "missing". The parts department could not locate the ordered part for my 4dr.
Yes they are the ones that installed the 4 door on my 2 door. I dropped it off the last week of September.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they are the ones that installed the 4 door on my 2 door. I dropped it off the last week of September.
That's funny! It looks like they installed the 4dr gear ordered for my JLU on your 2dr. The gear arrived in stock at the dealership the last week of September.

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's funny! It looks like they installed the 4dr gear ordered for my JLU on your 2dr.
According to them my steering gear came in around October 12 or 13, don’t remember. They installed it the next day and I picked it up on the 13th or 14th. So looks like some other lucky person got your steering gear :LOL: Hope it wasn’t another 2 door! The service manager wasn’t aware there was a different one for the two door so hopefully mine is the only one that got it. I know it makes Tuttle Irvine sound like a mess but honestly their customer service has probably been the best I’ve ever been to. Daily updates!

Edit: I should add I dropped it off late September for warranty issues as well so that’s why it was there so long.
Sponsored

Last edited: