Sponsored

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
Can we assume that all 2021 Jeeps will come with this new-and-improved steering box?
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Can we assume that all 2021 Jeeps will come with this new-and-improved steering box?
I have no direct knowledge but from what I've read - yes.

Later,
Johnny

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys
I called my dealer on Friday about this, he said he was very familiar with the tsb. I explained that I took delivery of my jlu last last week and immediately took it on a 400 mi road trip and struggled to keep it in my lane. He told me he can put me on the list and get back to me in a couple months since he had about 20+ people already on the list. He said he can only order 1 parts every 20 days
Dealer called today and scheduled my appointment for this Monday for the repair. I was quite shocked that they got the parts in so quick, considering i called on Aug 21st to get on the list.

Agswin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Called Austin dealer - said December for the the part as 9 ahead of me
Called Houston dealer - said November for the part as 6 ahead of me
Called College Station - Said they never heard about this, test drove it and said "that is just how a Jeep drives but my manager said the service bulletin says to perform the service if customer complains of the issue, so the part will be here tomorrow. They have them sitting in Dallas." We will call you when the Jeep is ready

Have to be honest, didn't see that coming from my local dealer

Sponsored

Agswin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So tomorrow after they call me to pick it up, do I just look underneath and look for a black painted steering box? Where do I need to look?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So tomorrow after they call me to pick it up, do I just look underneath and look for a black painted steering box? Where do I need to look?
That's pretty much it. Unfortunately you can't physically inspect the software updates.

lambos

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara - 2018 JLU Sting Grey Rubicon
Occupation
Retired "hmfic"
I had the same thing two dealers told me that is how a Jeep drives and I was like my last one didn’t drive like that, and they didn’t care, now I find out there is a service bulletin and even though I took my rig in for a water pump leak, it’s under so not drive for safety because it had become so bad.. and I am rolling in a Jeep Cherokee (the small one) for3 weeks so far and it sounds like 2 more months till they get the part
Good luck! I hope they get it done for you this time. Its so frustrating When you tell them that your'e having a safety issue and they give you BS excuses.

Yovwmon

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Altitude
Interesting as I just contacted my dealer and they advised that my 2019 JLU Altitude is not part of the TSB... Does anyone have a resource for validating this?

Sponsored

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Interesting as I just contacted my dealer and they advised that my 2019 JLU Altitude is not part of the TSB... Does anyone have a resource for validating this?
The list defining models is pretty complicated, so I can see why they would be confused. Here is the official matrix:

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 1599754220642

They're jerking you around.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The steering box is located on the inside of the frame rail, just above the end of the front track bar, where it attaches to the frame.

Congratulations! Delivery day is one of the best holidays!

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
i have not seen any exclusions, i would go to another dealer

Agswin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take the Service Bulletin with you and hand it to them. This will eliminate 2 of their most valued excuses.

1. Your Jeep doesn't qualify - Their Service Bulletin says it does
2. We can't replicate the issue, that is how the Jeep drives - They don't need to replicate it. Service bulletin says that if the customer states the vehicle is having the problem, the service needs to be done

Lastly, go in person and if they try to jerk you around keep going up the chain of command and then finally DM jeepcares but I assure you somewhere on the command they will figure it out