litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Strong crosswinds and tailwinds today on the test drive. Hit 120kph and while it tended to drift with the crosswind, it never felt flighty or unstable. This is immensely different than before. Steering input is light, but responsive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Finally got my Jeep approved for the repair! After the long weekend they will be replacing the gearbox. Then, I'll have to go hand over hand on everything they've touched, but I won't be complaining.

They better not send me one of those surveys though...

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Brought my JLUR into the 2nd dealer after the 1st one refused to even look at it. The 2nd trip was with @JeepCares involved and that most definitely helped. Once the dealer got the approval (which came after I went to the dealer and several phone calls later while on prem) the dealer did the diagnosis and wrote this up for replacement:

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 1599276865327

They performed a software update per bulletin # 18-057-20, which I have no clue what it's about. Anyone have any details on that? Just curious.

I am waiting to hear back from the dealer on when the steering pump will be available. I was under the assumption that I'd only need the gear assembly and not the pump, is that what everybody is getting along with the steering assembly?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Brought my JLUR into the 2nd dealer after the 1st one refused to even look at it. The 2nd trip was with @JeepCares involved and that most definitely helped. Once the dealer got the approval (which came after I went to the dealer and several phone calls later while on prem) the dealer did the diagnosis and wrote this up for replacement:

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 1599276865327

They performed a software update per bulletin # 18-057-20, which I have no clue what it's about. Anyone have any details on that? Just curious.

I am waiting to hear back from the dealer on when the steering pump will be available. I was under the assumption that I'd only need the gear assembly and not the pump, is that what everybody is getting along with the steering assembly?
That is the wrong steering gearbox. 68507569AA is the right part number. You need to tell them to reference TSB 08-074-20.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Got my Jeep back yesterday steering is much tighter. Feels good, and goes quickly in the direction I want it to go. I am happy with it. Little play in the steering wheel. No problems so far.
great fix. I was so used to the steering that I didn’t realize how bad it was.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That is the wrong steering gearbox. 68507569AA is the right part number. You need to tell them to reference TSB 08-074-20.
Darn!
Here's the part #s for all the parts in this TSB
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty.Part No.Description
1 (AR) 68507569AAGear, Steering - Four Door, Left Hand Drive (JL)
1 (AR) 68507571AAGear, Steering - Two Door, Left Hand Drive (JL)
1 (AR) 68507576AAGear, Steering - Left Hand Drive (JT)
106506950AABolt, I-Shaft106513396AABolts, Frame - Steering Gear (4 Bolts Per Package)(AR)68088485ABFluid, Electric Steering Pump

nfran2

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Link to TSB 08-074-20: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Update: Just got down with my 10 miles test drive and I’m happy to say that al of the steering issues are GONE!! Super excited to report that.

Wander and deadspot 100% gone in my jeep. No steering box brace only a Steersmarts Yeti HD trac bar. AEV 2.5 lift with 38in Milestars on Mopar Beadlocks

My impressions on video:​

New steering gear parts:

Good morning Redrockjk, I had my steering box replaced by my Jeep dealer last week. They replaced the box and did the computer upgrade at that time. As I drove home, I noticed a couple of things with new box. It was very quick and more responsive on the road, it took away the constant left hand pull at speed. However, I noticed that the steering wheel, when driving along on city streets, like 35-45 mph or even at high speed, You could move the steering wheel back and forth about an inch from 12 o'clock position either right of left before the actual steering engaged. I don't believe this is proper. Any thoughts about this before I go back to the dealer?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Good morning Redrockjk, I had my steering box replaced by my Jeep dealer last week. They replaced the box and did the computer upgrade at that time. As I drove home, I noticed a couple of things with new box. It was very quick and more responsive on the road, it took away the constant left hand pull at speed. However, I noticed that the steering wheel, when driving along on city streets, like 35-45 mph or even at high speed, You could move the steering wheel back and forth about an inch from 12 o'clock position either right of left before the actual steering engaged. I don't believe this is proper. Any thoughts about this before I go back to the dealer?
Get another person to help you. Watch the steering linkage and see which part has lag in its response. Start at the gearbox, compare the input shaft to the pitman arm. Then move to the drag link, and tie rod ends.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Do you have the updated drag link and trackbar? I bet this stiffens the remaining portion of your steering up.

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thank you for spotting that. You are right, this is what is needed for my JLUR:
68507569AA Gear, Steering - Four Door, Left Hand Drive (JL)

In addition that I think the following needs to be ordered too:
06506950AA Bolt, I-Sha
06513396AA Bolts, Frame - Steering Gear (4 Bolts Per Package)

Much appreciated! I will call the dealer and have them correct that.

Sponsored

nfran2

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon

Guys,
my 2019 Rubicon 4 door has 8K miles on it and yet to be wheeled off road, it's simply driven on the street. There are no modifications done to the suspension at all. There were no issues with the original steering box other than it wanted to track right all the time. Should the track bar or other suspension pieces needed to be readjusted for some reason? Is there an adjustment on the steering box to eliminate free play in the steering wheel?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The track bar connects the axle tube to the frame. I’m not sure how the geometry is skewed by bushings prematurely wearing on the track bar, but it sure gets loose.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
The track bar connects the axle tube to the frame. I’m not sure how the geometry is skewed by bushings prematurely wearing on the track bar, but it sure gets loose.

Below is a picture of my OEM track bar at just 1400 miles, the track bar was mis-aligned during manufacture causing the frame end bushing to function at a severe angle...I now have an all black Steer Smarts and could not be happier, made a huge difference in steering / handling.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) IMG_1448
Sponsored