Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Yep, sure was.
Call and talk to Brandon at Ferman Jeep in New Port Richey. My Jeep is getting the TSB done right now and he has been great to work with. Very understanding and they have been accommodating thus far.
Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
I just had the new TSB 08-074-20 new steering gearbox and the Electric Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) software update and the wandering is gone and the steering wheel play is gone. Drive straight and true with no more constant correction. Finally it drives like a Wrangler should!!
Cannot wait to get mine back! I have been dealing with the sloppy steering for a year now and it is exhausting to drive.

Nvdardx28

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hey Guys, I've been following this thread and tracking all the info on the steering issues that many people have reported. I have a 2019 JLUR and I've always questioned if my steering was fine or if it was all in my head. I started thinking recently that maybe I do have some issues particularly when people started mentioning excessive play and a dead zone right around center. I'm also thinking that my steering wasn't this bad when I first got my Jeep but now at 21k miles maybe gotten worse over time. I can certainly turn my steering wheel a few degrees +/- on the highway and not have the Jeep turn at all.

I had the idea today that I would use the steering angle reported from the Off Road pages to give you guys an idea of my steering wheel position.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) steerin

As you can see from the picture the steering wheel is turned quite a bit and the Off Road Pages still reports 0 degrees [green box on the right]. This position was about as far as I could turn before the steering angle went to 1 degree. Do you Guys think this proves that I have excessive play? Like I said, I'm just trying to use something quantitative to prove to myself if there is a steering issue or not. I haven't driven a JL yet, that has the newer steering fix so I have nothing to compare it to.

If someone who had the steering fix completed and had the time, could you snap a picture like I did? That would prove or disprove using the steering angle from Off Road Pages is even accurate. I would like to think that with the steering wheel position in the picture, the reported steering angle would not still be 0 degree.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hey Guys, I've been following this thread and tracking all the info on the steering issues that many people have reported. I have a 2019 JLUR and I've always questioned if my steering was fine or if it was all in my head. I started thinking recently that maybe I do have some issues particularly when people started mentioning excessive play and a dead zone right around center. I'm also thinking that my steering wasn't this bad when I first got my Jeep but now at 21k miles maybe gotten worse over time. I can certainly turn my steering wheel a few degrees +/- on the highway and not have the Jeep turn at all.

I had the idea today that I would use the steering angle reported from the Off Road pages to give you guys an idea of my steering wheel position.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) steerin

As you can see from the picture the steering wheel is turned quite a bit and the Off Road Pages still reports 0 degrees [green box on the right]. This position was about as far as I could turn before the steering angle went to 1 degree. Do you Guys think this proves that I have excessive play? Like I said, I'm just trying to use something quantitative to prove to myself if there is a steering issue or not. I haven't driven a JL yet, that has the newer steering fix so I have nothing to compare it to.

If someone who had the steering fix completed and had the time, could you snap a picture like I did? That would prove or disprove using the steering angle from Off Road Pages is even accurate. I would like to think that with the steering wheel position in the picture, the reported steering angle would not still be 0 degree.
I would say that qualifies, have you noticed even more play on hot drives? That's where my "decent" steering" went "not so decent" :(

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
uhh, what, how? It’s not even adjustable!
Must mean drag link. Its easily adjustable to square up the steering wheel.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would say that qualifies, have you noticed even more play on hot drives? That's where my "decent" steering" went "not so decent" :(
It's a non-issue...you're experiencing less than satisfactory steering, loose steering wheel, etc. Have the update done you don't need to prove anything ! If they give you slack start the case with JeepCares they seem to be doing a wonderful job at resolving this issue.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my Jeep back from the dealer. The steering is dramatically better and feels much lighter. I'd say this is a much better fix than the steering stabilizer "fix" from last year.

I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just got mine back today and while I wont make a final judgement call (I never do until its been a few days into the fix) it does appear to be tighter and more responsive. While I didn't have a major issue with this Jeep since I applied a lot of band aids, I think this will take me to 100% of my expectations.
I remember back in 2018 taking the Sahara (special Walmart shopping cart edition) in at least 4 times and being told I was imagining the whole thing by everyone including the regional service manager that flew in to inspect it. He test drove it a whopping 3 miles on city streets and proclaimed it was perfect ! We shared a few good laughs about this today 2 years, 1 lawsuit and 1 replacement Jeep later.

I received absolutely no push back from the dealer and even offered to reimburse them any any difference in cost from the allocated FCA payment to the actual needed time. They hit me up for a huge $ 20.00 for removing AND reinstalling my Synergy sector shaft brace.

I give North Olmsted Jeep here in Ohio a 5 star on this repair not only for the great service but for actually calling me the day the TSB hit them and letting me know about it. Frank there has been just a huge advocate thru my entire Jeep experience !

My big question for today is...now can I put air back in my tires ?:)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Got back from the dealer about an hour and a half ago. Initial impressions meet with what everyone has been saying. I've noticed the almost constant pull to the right is gone. I can let go of the wheel and the Jeep tracks straight for a significant period of time, barring a bad crown or ruts. Before, I was lucky to get one, maybe two seconds before it would start pulling to the right.

The steering is lighter but more consistent and responsive, and I don't perceive the dead spot in the centre. I'll take it for a highway spin tomorrow to get a much better feel.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Hmmm, it's fairly windy today. Maybe I should hit the highway today and see how well it behaves in a crosswind and against tractor-trailers.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm, it's fairly windy today. Maybe I should hit the highway today and see how well it behaves in a crosswind and against tractor-trailers.
Might as well beat it to see how good of a fix it is.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Might as well beat it to see how good of a fix it is.
Yes and please take it up to at least 80MPH and provide feedback, because here in Dallas area if you are not doing at least 80’you are getting run over.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Yes and please take it up to at least 80MPH and provide feedback, because here in Dallas area if you are not doing at least 80’you are getting run over.
I like having gas in my tank, thank you! I've rarely had it over 120kph, to be honest. Mostly because the thing was so flighty, it felt like I'd be in the ditch before I blinked.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've been to Dallas many times to visit my brother... The traffic is just how Office Space portrays it. And yes my brother was in the computer technology field, lol. Now get outside of town and you'll get flattened by an F-350 King Ranch if you aren't going 90... so that is true too.

Sponsored